• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Increasing Mana, Health and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
The first two can be done by giving the ability 2 levels. In level 1 it will do 0 health/mana, and in the second it will do the negative of your desired health/mana (so -100 will give 100 health/mana). Then when you give them the ability you set the ability to 2 and then remove it. Not sure how it works but it does.

On the armor front I don't really know how to sort that other than using a research instead...

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

As far as I know, this is only usable with HP and Mana. I believe, as of now, it is impossible to add permanent armor indefinitely.

This is quick library and test map I made for stat manipulation.

Control stats with:
+hp
+mana
-hp
-mana

Yes I know there are bjs, I don't care, it's a demo

(edit) It works because setting these abilities to level 2 fails to grant the level 2 bonus, but removing it at level 2 removes the level 2 bonus. Removing a -1 when you start with a 0 gives you 1 permanent hp. Same for mana.

Attachments

• StatManipulation.w3x
    17.3 KB · Views: 45

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

There's only one method for adding armor that I can think of, and it has serious downsides.

Make everything a hero, hide the hero UIs. Make agility give no attack speed, and 1 armor. For every armor, just add one agi.

Level 17
That is what I decided to do. I as just hoping for an easy solution but I was already using a DDS so it isn't a big deal.

@Everyone
Thanks.

@Mod
This can now be closed.

sadly no solution, i wanted also figure out something but at end don't got better than useing DDS, well then already made 5 element ressitance too because with that really not big deal and more fun than simple magic and physical attack, mainly if u make custom item what got different element defence :D

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

There's only one method for adding armor that I can think of, and it has serious downsides.

Make everything a hero, hide the hero UIs. Make agility give no attack speed, and 1 armor. For every armor, just add one agi.

This is a big downside. DotA adds armor in many spells and doesn't abuse Agility. So there are multiple ways of adding armor without doing "that"

@deathismyfriend - why not add an item ability with X number of levels to the hero, then modify the ability's level through triggers? You can remove it at any time, and it can be easily made with a timer.

Level 29
well yea with DDS you have a option to implement far more complex damage reduction forumlas. I didnt assume you use one tho

Ya I use one a lot. But I also didn't want that +1 or whatever to show up next to the armor so DDS was better option. And I was going to use it to reduce the amount of damage some of the times anyways so no big deal lol.

Thanks again though.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

This is a big downside. DotA adds armor in many spells and doesn't abuse Agility. So there are multiple ways of adding armor without doing "that"

@deathismyfriend - why not add an item ability with X number of levels to the hero, then modify the ability's level through triggers? You can remove it at any time, and it can be easily made with a timer.

I was talking about indefinitely adding any amount of armor.

What I mean is, there is no "Armor Tome", whereas there is a damage and hp tome and a mana workaround permanent glitch thing. If there's a method of perma-adding armor without agi use, please tell as that would be revolutionary.

Level 29

What I mean is, there is no "Armor Tome", whereas there is a damage and hp tome and a mana workaround permanent glitch thing. If there's a method of perma-adding armor without agi use, please tell as that would be revolutionary.

If you take all of the item abilities to level mana and have each of them with 100 levels you could easily hit the integer limit for armor. But It would require some fine tuning for the level for the abilities and the system to control all of these abilities and their numbers.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

You're right, there is no armor tome.

But you don't need one, granted that you can just add passive armor boosts either many times or adjust the levels of that one ability. That way you can simulate an armor tome.

Still though, depends on what the map really needs. If its some rpg where you can allow players to go infinite armor, then adding +1 armor per use is okay.
If you have a general idea about an armor cap, then an item armor bonus with fixed levels will do.
And if you just have a need to add a % amount, you can add an item devotion aura and change the % to whatever you want.

It would be cool if wc3 had armor tome bonus, but it doesn't.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

You're right, there is no armor tome.

But you don't need one, granted that you can just add passive armor boosts either many times or adjust the levels of that one ability. That way you can simulate an armor tome.

Still though, depends on what the map really needs. If its some rpg where you can allow players to go infinite armor, then adding +1 armor per use is okay.
If you have a general idea about an armor cap, then an item armor bonus with fixed levels will do.
And if you just have a need to add a % amount, you can add an item devotion aura and change the % to whatever you want.

It would be cool if wc3 had armor tome bonus, but it doesn't.

Armor ability is undesirable because it's green numbers, and because you can't add any amount you want. You will always be limited based on levels. This actually does matter in RPG games where units can have over 100,000 armor over the course of the game or something.

Level 29
Armor ability is undesirable because it's green numbers, and because you can't add any amount you want. You will always be limited based on levels. This actually does matter in RPG games where units can have over 100,000 armor over the course of the game or something.

Actually as I said above you could set how much armor they would give per level. The amount of armor abilities you have with 100 levels each would easily be enough to hit the integer limit. 100,000 would be easily achievable. It would be a pain to code it though on what levels to give of which ability.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

How would you code it to give armor anywhere inbetween 1 and 100,000? What would your level values be?

Level 29
How would you code it to give armor anywhere inbetween 1 and 100,000? What would your level values be?

As I said above it would take a bit to get the exact numbers.
But one of the levels would be 100,000
You would have to stagger the ability bonuses and add different armor abilities and set the level to get different amounts of armor bonuses.

Example: Using Abi1 level 1 gives 1 level 2 gives 5 and Abi2 level 1 gives 2 level 2 gives 3.

With these 4 levels on 2 abilities I can add and set them to achieve an armor bonus of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8. The 6 is missing because this is not perfect. You would need more abilities and levels to scatter around the levels. But as you can see just 2 levels for 2 abilities gives 7 different bonuses.
You have 8 abilities in the OE that add armor. That means a total of 800 levels that you can offset.

With a custom stat system, you can easily do this armor thing... Just have to add a bit to the formula and more abilities to hit the super high armor values. Should never give an ability more then 4 levels and if you do then it should be a good reason.

The way DotA increases armor is by researches/upgrades which is why tome of retraining doesn't exist in that map/game. However with this method you can increase armor without the green number/bonus.

I have seen maps do the same for range, changing range without having two pairs of units. It's called 4000 level researchs/upgrades. They work effectively and nobody should possibly reach that unless they actually tried. The kb add-on for that isn't much and as long as you handle it carefully it won't hit the maps load time that much and won't bother efficiency.

Sure its a crappy method, but sadly Blizzard didn't give us as much control as we needed/wanted over unit stats. At least there is still workarounds. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.