• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Importing images

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

How would i upload an image to use as a model in a destructible? what path should i use for it? what's the width, height of the picture? what format should i upload it at?

i believe i've asked such a question before, but it hasn't been answered well or at all, so i'm asking again.

i want this image for a talent tree ingame, as a background image like in RPG maps.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

This is a quite tricky issue.

Check this thread I made some time ago: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/world-editor-help-zone-98/custom-interfaces-inventory-skill-trees-such-268197/
PurgeandFire explains everything needed, as if it were a tutorial.
I myself managed to create a background for my talent tree after his explanation.

Awesome I'll read all of it. +rep

EDIT: i didn't find any details about how to upload an image or details about the image.

can you share the process with me? since you were the one to ask the question there and you were happy with the answer, you must have tried it and succeeded?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

What do you mean with uploading the image ?

Basically, you create a custom image, in the best of the size 512x512 or 256x256 and then convert it to .blp.

Then import it to your map.
Use the method described here to create the image.

One thing I recall, important, create an image with an at least 1 pixel big alpha layer border, to avoid stretching.
If you have questions about the custom script used to display the image, a few questions were answered in the conversation between me and PurgeandFire.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

What do you mean with uploading the image ?

Basically, you create a custom image, in the best of the size 512x512 or 256x256 and then convert it to .blp.

Then import it to your map.
Use the method described here to create the image.

One thing I recall, important, create an image with an at least 1 pixel big alpha layer border, to avoid stretching.
If you have questions about the custom script used to display the image, a few questions were answered in the conversation between me and PurgeandFire.

From what I've seen around, tga format is used. Then they just upload it and use it in a destructible and that's that. i think

i just don't know what path to use for an image. i've never uploaded an image to a map (besides loading screen) but that gets a "FullScreen.blp" path.

what i'm interested in is the path and the width/height

is 512x512 the maximum image size i can import? because for a mastery tree, it needs more height than width.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I exported the image to .tga and then converted it to .blp, totally fine.
No need for a destructible, if we speak about a background.

The path is totally unimportant, you only have to use it for the custom script of the image creation:
image_0004.jpg

See, he didn't change the path to anything.

For width/height, I strongly recommend using simply 512x512 for the image. The path you set to anything, just make sure the custom script uses the same.

Hm, PurgeandFire said 1024x1024 would work, too, and also sizes like 1024x512, tho I didn't try myself this kind of size.

Just a hint, you can create a 1024x1024 or 512x512 image and make 50% of it alpha layer, making it look like 1024x512 or 512x256.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I exported the image to .tga and then converted it to .blp, totally fine.
No need for a destructible, if we speak about a background.

The path is totally unimportant, you only have to use it for the custom script of the image creation:
image_0004.jpg

See, he didn't change the path to anything.

For width/height, I strongly recommend using simply 512x512 for the image. The path you set to anything, just make sure the custom script uses the same.

Hm, PurgeandFire said 1024x1024 would work, too, and also sizes like 1024x512, tho I didn't try myself this kind of size.

Just a hint, you can create a 1024x1024 or 512x512 image and make 50% of it alpha layer, making it look like 1024x512 or 512x256.

This is so hard to position with triggers. Its much easier with a destructible.
plus, i will have other destructibles as the icons on the image, so its much easier to go the destructible method.

Still thank you for explaining it to me. i think i get it now :)
i will try it on my own

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Well, it seems as it if it harder.

Actually, it isn't. Since you know the size of the background image you can create raster and place the icons considering their size in the raster.

Using a destructible might be easier tho, but you will have to placed dummy units for event detection then ( since you cannot detect whether a destructible is selected).

Maybe check out the Alternate Textures tutorial of Shadow Flux, it seems to be a good method, too, although there is one or another disadvantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.