• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HP and MP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Because it has too much HP/Mana. The space allocated for the HP/mana is smaller than the space needed to display the HP/Mana.
Lets say you got 2 000 000 HP. The numbers to display 2 000 000/ 2 000 000 are too big to fit inside the space allocated for HP displaying. This does not work with integer size but with the actual size the digits take. If you make a unit with a 2 mils of HP and another one with 1 mil place them next to each other you will see that the 2mil's hp will not display but the 1mil will display. This is because 1 takes less space than 2.

If you create a unit with a few mils HP and give it negative regen you will occasionally see flashes in the HP bar, they will occur when the units current HP has a few 1's in it.

How do you show it ? Umm, I guess you can't...
Maybe, just maybe... if customizing the UI can somehow change the size of the HUD and the data fields, but that actually is impossible because the HUD is hard-coded and the UI is just a picture above it...

Level 18
I think you misunderstood me :D
I do NOT intend to have 2m HP haha, but when unit has 50k+ HP and MP, the number goes black.

What you said makes sense, and I know that. But this bugs me, it has room to show hp, yet it does not.

Level 12
Hmmmmm, very weird. I gave the millions only as example, I do remember the limit being ~X0 000, I player a lot of "X hero siege", where at late game the hp could reach... a lot but it started to disappear and flash around 50k, but now when I tested the HP started to disappear waaaaay after 100 000, the smallest hp which I made to disappear was 2 000 000...
I wonder if you are running an older patch and they have allocated more space for HP/Mana in some of the newest patches...

Level 12
Well, as you can see, there are people who did not know about that (Me), I just thought that the HP/Mana does not fit inside the allocated space, and this has been for years now...
I thought it was something like:
Blizzard:
"We won't be making any units with more than 4/5 digit HP/Mana so this much space is enough."

Level 11
My game resolution is 640x480x16, yet my war3 still able to display 30m unit's hp.

I tested between windowed mode and non-windowed mode, my war3 could no longer display 30m hp if in non-windowed mode while in windows mode it could. Perhaps try start your war3 with windowed mode?

Level 18
Well well well...
I am starting my Wc3 from the editor in windowed mode and there it does not display that much HP.
Maybe i should try to open it in normal mode.

EDIT: Still doesn't works. . . . .

Last edited:
Level 24
What is the version of WC3?
When you start B.net, you will get automatically updated.

The resolution is the one that was my problem when doing this... but there might be something else that I already did.

Also, "640x480x16" means that you havent got a proper updated WC3.
Blizzard actually added the increased resolution for this problem.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The health and mana readout disappears when the current out of total amount in textual form is wider than the space allocated for it.

Since a variable width typeset is used this means it is not bound by a "maximum" but rather certain combinations of numbers.

The solution is not to use over-inflated amounts. There really is no need to use multiple million hp/mana and shows flawed map design. Games like WoW and Diablo III with large numbers often undergo deflation every few years to keep numbers more reasonable.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
@DSG
Did you play WoW 1.0?
I mean the very first time that WoW was released?
No but I did play Diablo III when it was first released.

My best character by the end of 1.0 as a Monk which had 130,000 damage, about 30k life and was able to run MP6 (out of 10) efficiently solo. My largest criticals from Wave of Light were about 6M damage.

Now towards the end of season 2 I have a Witch Doctor which has 2,000,000 damage, about 1,000,000 health and is able to run T6 (out of 6) carrying 3 players without effort. My largest criticals to elites are about 100M damage which occur usually multiple times per second.

At this rate by the third expansion they will need to tone down the stat values.

Status
Not open for further replies.