• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] How large can i map get before people can't play it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello there,

I'm building a large RPG map and was wondering about the size of the map.
It's a 244 x 244 sized map with currently over 26000 doodads and it is not done yet, i'm maybe around 60 % done with the terrain.
So i was wondering how much more i can build before it will be to big or if i already is too large for players.

And sry for my bad english ;)

- Kaffeina

Level 9
Actually you can reach 480 x 480

but it is not recomended to make your map bigger than 256 x 256
it will cause lags and random errors too

Unless your really know what your doing.

Level 2
Okay thanks! - Im actually not sure if the map is 244x244 because i remember that i choose the largest size (the 480x480), but havnt had any random errors yet.
So if it's a single player map you can run it when it's over 8MB ?

Level 2
Im glad to hear that!
The map is currently at 224 MB and i'm not sure how big the map will be at the end but if there wont be any problems with it, i'll continue building it :)

Level 12
There is a very real limitation of 2Gb. Wc3 also might start to be unable to handle the file long before that size, who knows.

Level 14
Im glad to hear that!
The map is currently at 224 MB and i'm not sure how big the map will be at the end but if there wont be any problems with it, i'll continue building it :)

Damn, I thought my campaign was big with 98 MB. I'm guessing there is a bit of custom music imported?

Level 2
Damn, I thought my campaign was big with 98 MB. I'm guessing there is a bit of custom music imported?

It's the custom imported, but most of it is doodads. But i think the reason is that i have too many imports that i actually dosnt use soo.. :)
And btw, loving your project! - Really nice terrain art you're doing there!

Level 14
Oh thanks. I have that problem too. I import something and use it and then find something better and replace it. One of these days I'll just have to delete the imports I'm not using. That should save some space.

So is there a thread for your project anywhere?

Level 37
Better not upload too much stuff or the loading time for each chapter can get too long.

You can just enable local files, restructure accordingly, then can play it multiplayer too. That way your mapfile itself will greatly reduce in filesize since all imports are residing outside the map within a folder.(that needs to be seperately downloaded alongside the map however)

Actually I'm interested about this. I have a campaign that has a long loading time. With this method I could reduce the loading time?

Level 29
AFAIK: Applying this to a multi-map will reduce the loading time, since imported materials will be read directly from the hd at start-up then accessed as needed and at creating game using your map only your custom trigger related stuff will be still extending the length. Albeit do not know about stuff like if triggers can be kept seperate outside and then hooked in as if a script as when they got needed, since those depend on the actual map data.

However ive never download or played a campaign that used local files, everything imported was always either in the maps or inside campaign's very own .w3n file similar as if been a .mpq
What i am saying is may be or not be entirely possible due to the way campaigns work...

Level 37
AFAIK: Applying this to a multi-map will reduce the loading time, since imported materials will be read directly from the hd at start-up then accessed as needed and at creating game using your map only your custom trigger related stuff will be still extending the length. Albeit do not know about stuff like if triggers can be kept seperate outside and then hooked in as if a script as when they got needed, since those depend on the actual map data.

However ive never download or played a campaign that used local files, everything imported was always either in the maps or inside campaign's very own .w3n file similar as if been a .mpq
What i am saying is may be or not be entirely possible due to the way campaigns work...

Is there any way to see?

Level 2
Status
Not open for further replies.