• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] How do they do it, Dummy Heroes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I have spent the last two days trying to figure this out. On several maps in the past I have seen dummy heroes being used as bags (item inventory) or as spell books etc. I know how to do this. I don't know how they removed the health and mana bar under the portrait. In the maps I have seen / played in the past, they did not have the bars. (I am almost positive of this but maybe they used some other trickery I cant recall or may have missed)

What I mean by this is, in the upper left corner of the game / UI, where your hero's portrait would normally be, there will be other Hero UI portraits for heroes that are not in the game but instead, are just being used for whatever, like extra inventory. Under that picture of the hero is the health and mana. I am trying to remove the health and mana bars under the picture of the hero.

I am guessing you change something in the game play constants / interface but I cant find anything there that works and does this.

How do they remove the bars??? - Better yet, what are some maps that have this system???

Level 4
The best I've been able to figure out so far is making both bars completely black.
This can be done by setting default Health to 0 (using Shift), maximum Mana to 1 and starting Mana to 0.

Works for mana to "black it out" but not for health. If you set it to zero, the hero dies (even with invulnerability) so you have to leave it at 1.

But yeah, that's as far as I got to.

Level 10
If you set it to zero, the hero dies (even with invulnerability) so you have to leave it at 1.
This is not true. If you set the Stats - Hit Points Maximum (Base) field to 0 using <Shift> in the Object Editor, the unit will appear to have a black health bar. When selected, the unit will appear to have 1/1 health under the live portrait, and the value will be red instead of the usual green that you might expect for 1/1 health. No invulnerability required. In fact, doing this seems to make the unit invulnerable.

Try it :wink:

Level 4
This is not true. If you set the Stats - Hit Points Maximum (Base) field to 0 using <Shift> in the Object Editor, the unit will appear to have a black health bar. When selected, the unit will appear to have 1/1 health under the live portrait, and the value will be red instead of the usual green that you might expect for 1/1 health. No invulnerability required. In fact, doing this seems to make the unit invulnerable.

Try it :wink:

Got me excited for a second but sadly, still does not work. It blacks out the bars as you said but then you can no longer interact with the Hero. With no health, I cant tell if he is alive or dead but the message I get is:

"The unit is not visible on the map" ... or something close to that.

So, even if the dummy hero is still alive, I cant interact with him.

After, I replied I figured, let me go ahead and try that on a stock, non custom hero and see what happens, and IT WORKED! So I stand corrected, you are right. Now... to figure out why its not working on the custom dummy hero...

Always one step forward, two steps back, lol. THANK YOU SO MUCH for the help though! :)

Last edited:
Press Shift and click on the Hit Points Maximum and paste this: 1000000000.

It works for mana and health. It doesn't show up, tested it.

xldnc7.png

You can also make the unit invulnerable and disable the invulnerable text in advanced/game interface.

Level 10
Press Shift and click on the Hit Points Maximum and paste this: 1000000000.

It works for mana and health. It doesn't show up, tested it.

xldnc7.png

You can also make the unit invulnerable and disable the invulnerable text in advanced/game interface.
That's what I thought of suggesting at first, too, but he's talking about the icons on the top left of the screen that are like shortcuts to select your heroes, which this trick doesn't work for as far as I know.

That's what I thought of suggesting at first, too, but he's talking about the icons on the top left of the screen that are like shortcuts to select your heroes, which this trick doesn't work for as far as I know.

What? Hero icons? They still show health-bar, because the value is not negative. If it was -1 or 0 it would be considered a negative value.

Unless he wants them not to show a health bar?

Level 4
You pretty much have it. I think he wants the Hero icons to have no bars.
At the moment we've got it to the point of having black Health and Mana bars.

Yeah, I got it so that it no longer shows the color in the bars and the values are null'ed, however - the bars are still there, which is fine. I would prefer just the Hero Icon without the bars but its tolerable until I am ready to work on the final layout / presentation of the map.

I still have no idea how people remove them. There is nothing in the game interface, under advanced, that I see to get rid of them but I haven't fully tested / changed the game UI yet and added my own custom theme. My money says it will go away once I move on to that and add one.

Level 4
Could you use a worker classification instead of a Hero? Not sure if that's an option or not.

Just tried all of the classifications to see if anything would change but nothing worked. Although, adding suicidal did make the constant burning sound like when a building is being destroyed. That could be useful on other maps.

Level 11
I mean like in this Image

If you aren't using workers in your map or don't care about them being Idle, you can make your bags 'Workers' (Base them off of Peasants) and then change your Game Interface to display Bags instead of the standard Idle Workers stuff.

This isn't the best option obviously, but it is an alternative if you can't fix the bar thing.

Attachments

• Workers.jpg
    Workers.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 188
Level 4
I mean like in this Image

If you aren't using workers in your map or don't care about them being Idle, you can make your bags 'Workers' (Base them off of Peasants) and then change your Game Interface to display Bags instead of the standard Idle Workers stuff.

This isn't the best option obviously, but it is an alternative if you can't fix the bar thing.

Yeah, I want it to look just like that, just with a hero. That's a great alternative though and I am going to put it to use. Thanks for the idea and help! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.