• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] How big is a map?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Questions

1. When creating a map you choose a size. Let's say 64x64

However, ingame the coordinates are not even close to that. Even in a 64x64 you can have x and y values that are higher than 1000. What's the formula to get the actual map size?

When I think about is this what the world bounds lib calculates?

2. Is there a way detect a model's pathing size with triggers, else don't bother to mention model programs. This is of minor importance but I still want to know.

3. Is it possible for a trackable to detect clicks/hovering on a invisible model? Using a empty string as a model doesn't work. I tried with Vexorian's dummy model since it has attachment points, but nope.
As it stands right now, I suspect that the model needs to have faces/edges/vextex points in order to work with trackables. However, if I make a cube and then apply a transparent texture to it, would it work?

Last edited:
Level 12
I have recently been thinking of completely removing all units collision sizes and triggering it, making an SC2-like push priority system using knockback systems on this website.

This same idea could do exactly this thing you want.

But to be more to the point, the absolute max size you can make a map in WC3 I believe is 512x512. Using JNGP you can make maps that big and they'll work in vanilla WC3.

But basically, how that system would work it would basically be like:

If Unit A's Triggered Collision overlaps with Unit B's Collision then the Knockback system with slowly push them away from each other. This can also allow to change unit's collision size real-time, which could be useful.

Level 8
1. When creating a map you choose a size. Let's say 64x64

However, ingame the coordinates are not even close to that. Even in a 64x64 you can have x and y values that are higher than 1000. What's the formula to get the actual map size?

When I think about is this what the world bounds lib calculates?

2. Is there a way detect a model's pathing size with triggers, else don't bother to mention model programs. This is of minor importance but I still want to know.

3. Is it possible for a trackable to detect clicks/hovering on a invisible model? Using a empty string as a model doesn't work. I tried with Vexorian's dummy model since it has attachment points, but nope.
As it stands right now, I suspect that the model needs to have faces/edges/vextex points in order to work with trackables. However, if I make a cube and then apply a transparent texture to it, would it work?

i still dont get it what u want the thread name is how big map is? and u seek for unit pathing im confused? :D

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
(*px = pixel)
1 x 1 = 64px x 64px
64 x 64 = 4096px x 4096px

But, according to today's convention, somehow Blizzard translated it incorrectly. E.g, 4096px x 4096px is translated into a map with min bound at -4096 and max bound at 4096. That means the map size is 4096-(-4096) = 8192px x 8192px

Not sure.

Yes, using an invisible platform model and it has been done plenty of times before. Except if I misunderstood. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.