• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Editing/Using models?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey guys, I'm working on my first map so I'm fairly new to this. I understand how to import models and make them attach to units. I believe there are a few different ways to do this; I do it by creating an item ability, importing and adding the model to the ability, creating a new item and attaching the ability to the new item.

The only problem I've run into with this is when I pick up Item A, the model of, say a sword, shows up, then I drop it. When I go to pick up item B, the model of Item A still shows up. Whatever item I pick up first in the game, always shows up no matter what other item I pick up. Any ideas?

The main reason I'm here... I've found models that will work for weapons I want to use in my game. Some items I find out are only for one hand, but I want to use them as a 2-handed weapon. For example, I found a warhammer model I wanted to use. When I set it up like I would a 2-hand weapon, instead it shows my unit holding two warhammers, one in each hand haha. Is there a way to make a 1H item to be held with both hands, or do I just have to find a 2H model to use?

Thanks!

Level 22
of course you can, if i'm correct there's "number of attachment point" or something with value of number. Change the value to 2. Then there's attachment point 1, attachment point 2, and things like that, aren't there? Change one to "Hand, Left" and the other one "Hand, Right". Hope this helps.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
The only problem I've run into with this is when I pick up Item A, the model of, say a sword, shows up, then I drop it. When I go to pick up item B, the model of Item A still shows up. Whatever item I pick up first in the game, always shows up no matter what other item I pick up. Any ideas?

Apparently item B got the same model as item A then. There is no other way it can bug.

The main reason I'm here... I've found models that will work for weapons I want to use in my game. Some items I find out are only for one hand, but I want to use them as a 2-handed weapon. For example, I found a warhammer model I wanted to use. When I set it up like I would a 2-hand weapon, instead it shows my unit holding two warhammers, one in each hand haha. Is there a way to make a 1H item to be held with both hands, or do I just have to find a 2H model to use?

Unless the model has a 2h animation, you can't make it use both hands.

Level 21
of course you can, if i'm correct there's "number of attachment point" or something with value of number. Change the value to 2. Then there's attachment point 1, attachment point 2, and things like that, aren't there? Change one to "Hand, Left" and the other one "Hand, Right". Hope this helps.

You just told him how too attach two weapons in each hand, when he is asking for two-handed weapon to be used by both hands. If model doesn't have 2H attack animation then you can't do anything.

No idea why would the other problem happen. Unless you are doing it by triggers.

Level 11
That problem occurs cause you're using same item abilities, this happened to me too, while trying to change (replace) 1 unit to 3 other by triggers, Every button I clicked (button of ability), it was replacing my unit to the first one, it was bizarre but I finally found it's problem :D
Make a different item ability for every model, hope it works :)

Level 3
Apparently item B got the same model as item A then. There is no other way it can bug.

Unless the model has a 2h animation, you can't make it use both hands.

I'm 100% sure Item A and Item B have different models.

Okay, thanks

Level 3
You just told him how too attach two weapons in each hand, when he is asking for two-handed weapon to be used by both hands. If model doesn't have 2H attack animation then you can't do anything.

No idea why would the other problem happen. Unless you are doing it by triggers.

Correct. ok. :(

no triggers related to this in my game.

Level 3
That problem occurs cause you're using same item abilities, this happened to me too, while trying to change (replace) 1 unit to 3 other by triggers, Every button I clicked (button of ability), it was replacing my unit to the first one, it was bizarre but I finally found it's problem :D

I did create one ability, and one item, then copy/paste them to duplicate. However, every time I pasted, it created a new ID tag or Data tag (w/e its called) so they should be different... They also have different names.

I used the armor +1 item abilitiy, but like I said, they all have different ID tags so the editor should see them as two different abilities...

Any other ideas?

EDIT: It's called "desired object ID"

Level 9
I did create one ability, and one item, then copy/paste them to duplicate. However, every time I pasted, it created a new ID tag or Data tag (w/e its called) so they should be different... They also have different names.

I used the armor +1 item abilitiy, but like I said, they all have different ID tags so the editor should see them as two different abilities...

Any other ideas?

You should always base it on another item ability;

The base abilities will always conflict (even if you copy paste it, it will have the same base ability). Try using another ability.

Level 3
You should always base it on another item ability;

The base abilities will always conflict (even if you copy paste it, it will have the same base ability). Try using another ability.

I'm sure this would never happen, but in theory, you can never have more abilities than what the default game has. Because you have to base every new custom ability on a different (already existing) ability?

Does this also apply to items? For example, I copy and pasted (inserting a new desired object ID) my format for new custom items to add the custom abilities to.

Edit: Some of the tutorials I found on this stuff indicated that I could use the same ability each time. They didn't say copy/paste it, but they said I could, for example, use the item ability armor +1 (change it to +0) for every custom ability I want to make... hmm.

Edit 2: I deleted all my old items and started over. I'm still copy/pasting as of right now, and it's working correctly so far. Now that I think about it, the items that were doing that were all from the same pack, so that could be the reason. Those were the only models that would work for those items, but I guess I'll look around at some other websites for similar models. If not, I'll post a request :)

Last edited:
Level 11

Any other ideas?

Trust me man, if you copy/pasted them, they work as 1... trust me and try using different abilities, you will surely solve your problem :)

Status
Not open for further replies.