• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Disabling Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
As TriggerHappy said, it has a delay and yes making players' names long too, you have to download that file , other people won't have to download it, that's just to edit [ALLIES][ALL][OBSERVERS][PRIVATE] to a very empty long string. So you can go further into Game Interface, and then if you want to show specefic messages just filter them by triggers

Pros :
- Efficient chat disable , in the log too.
- Filtering messages. ( For example in AoS you can disable dead chat ;) )
Cons :
- No Player Names
- Delayed Chat ( about 1 second )

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Disabling chat is not recommended as it stops people chatting with players outside their session (whispers). Doing so will give your map a bad ratting due to poor usability. Also it is utterly pointless as people could always resort to third party chat methods and there is nothing you can do to stop them.

Anyway the approach used by parasite was to change all player names with something nonsense and massive that is not easily displayed (large white space characters).

Last edited:
Disabling chat is not recommended as it stops people chatting with players outside their session (whispers). Doing so will give your map a bad ratting due to poor usability. Also it is utterly pointless as people could always resort to third party chat methods and there is nothing you can do to stop them.

Anyway the approach used by parasite was to change all player names with something nonsense and massive that is not easily displayed (large white space characters).

You can stop people whispering others in wc3 online? Since when and how can you do this? By the way it would actually improve maps and give better ratings I would say if we could actually do this. You haven't played much "parasite" type maps have you? Almost everyone playing that genre wants a way to disable whispering.

Though yeah no matter what you do, if people plan to cheat and really want to cheat then guess what they will cheat. There's external chat programs and then even if you do everything people said, players can still whisper other players that are on the same realm as they are. Unless DSG here has some abnormal method never before seen.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You haven't played much "parasite" type maps have you?
I was involved at some stages with its development. But those were early versions like Parasite 2. I recall fixing quite a lot of leaks although there was one minor issue that resulted from all of it.

Though yeah no matter what you do, if people plan to cheat and really want to cheat then guess what they will cheat. There's external chat programs and then even if you do everything people said, players can still whisper other players that are on the same realm as they are. Unless DSG here has some abnormal method never before seen.
Enabling cinematic mode completely removes all chat. This was a major flaw in WC3 and was used by early versions of parasite for an observer mode.

Also since the chat is piped from the host server. A malicious robot can spam out corrupted chat messages pushing all whispers off of view before they can be read. It can also physically silence chat messages (not from BattleNet so not whispers) by discarding the chat message frames as it receives them.

Still all this is utterly pointless as nothing stops me communicating with other players. For example when playing Parasite, my bother and I would team up by talking to each other as we were in the same room. We knew exactly who we were and what we were doing even though we could not use in-game chat.

I wouldn't say its a flaw, more of a feature... If only cinematic mode disabled just chat.... Though yeah no matter what can't stop communication, wonder what is keeping the language barrier there though.

The only way to stop whispers is exactly as you say, a spam-bot. It isn't malicious though. . . The main point was exactly to physically silence in-game messaging.

Why do you even need to do it anyway? 90% of todays players never send a single message outside "go" from the time they join the lobby to the time they leave mid session.

I'd say 70% but agreed. However for games with people who have an intellect level above a donkey it would be nice for. Basically games with friends and/or clans.

Just make a "no chat" rule then. If they cannot respect it throw them out of your friends or clan.

That's a troublesome way to look at it, only works for role-play clans. Trust me I tried at one time. :xxd:

Now what if you wanted to make a game/map as such, but couldn't? That would suck but I for one would try my best. Sadly though I think even SC2 lacks this functionality. Guess you'd have to make your own game to achieve this.

Events: Player 1 - 12 enters a chat message
Conditions:
Actions:
Cinematic - Clear the screen of messages.

Done?

:ogre_haosis:

you can change the font of the chat so that your map will have no font for chat, hence no chat(you can still type, but noone can see it)

Now that is a good idea I forgot about, nice job edo.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Now what if you wanted to make a game/map as such, but couldn't?
I would design a map that did not need it because it is pointless fighting game mechanics.

Except those are "messages" not "chat messages". Messages are trigger created messages.

Now that is a good idea I forgot about, nice job edo.
Hackers could overwrite it however. Not reliable.

Level 25
Another workaround, this is for public games.

Set everyones name to something, say DSG
Change every players colour to something, say brown

Now the chat will look like this:

DSG: I'm the killer!
DSG: Nuu I am!!
DSG: How I play?
DSG: Ang iyong ina ay isang noob!

Then change the heroes colours with Unit - Change Colour of unit, to make them show up properly on the minimap.

Sure, it won't defeat people using whispers and teamspeak, but it will work for multiplayer pub games.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Then change the heroes colours with Unit - Change Colour of unit, to make them show up properly on the minimap.

Sure, it won't defeat people using whispers and teamspeak, but it will work for multiplayer pub games.
That is what Parasite 2 used. Personally I would recommend that approach since it makes for a great game experience without trying all kinds of hacky work around which never feel professional.

Level 4
Sorry to necro, but I found a way to do this & thought it might be useful for future users.

--Get notified when user pressed "enter" key
BlzTriggerRegisterPlayerKeyEvent(myTrigger, GetLocalPlayer(), OSKEY_RETURN, 0, true)

--Trigger Action: Close chat window by forcing a click on Menu button and instantly canceling out of that menu
BlzFrameClick(BlzGetFrameByName("UpperButtonBarMenuButton", 0))
ForceUICancel()

It's hacky, but seems to work. The chat window will still appear for a split second and immediately disappear.
This would prevent whispers/etc as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.