• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Custom Shadows??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
In the Object Editor, a unit has two particular fields -

Shadow Image (Unit) and
Shadow Texture (Building)

But what I don't understand is, these two fields let you use imported textures, but the game is hard-coded to only use specific textures as the shadows. (From my experience, anyway)

Does anyone know anything about this? Is it possible to use custom, imported, shadows?

Level 17
Shadow textures can be replaced like any other replaceable texture, but yeah the game seems to not allow extra custom shadows.
So if you want a new shadow you have to replace existing shadow and use it for your new unit.

Level 12
Shadow textures can be replaced like any other replaceable texture, but yeah the game seems to not allow extra custom shadows.
So if you want a new shadow you have to replace existing shadow and use it for your new unit.

But the thing is you still don't need those fields to do that...If you just literally replace them via importing a new texture, you don't need to modify the units Shadow (Unit) or Shadow (Building) field, or at least the Shadow (Unit) because there's only TWO shadows for units and that's "Shadow" and "Shadow Flyer"

The Shadow (Building) makes sense to have a field where you can choose something for, but as for units they could have just as easily gone with a Boolean that said "Use Flying Shadow - Yes/No"

My problem here is that it lets you CHOOSE custom imported textures, right from your Import Manager. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.