• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Import] Custom Models No Longer Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
It would seem that my Warcraft III World Editor has lost the will to accept custom models. I even tested this by exporting imported files from an existing map and imported them into my own, but then I keep getting the green checkered boxes. Why does it have to be so glitchy? There's nothing wrong with the files I have imported, nothing at all. They're just not responding correctly. I have a few models and textures that work; but after that, further files imported will not work.
I've been trying to collect StarCraft models in the hopes of creating a WVS: Warcraft vs StarCraft. They seem to work in other maps, but they won't work in mine!

Level 2
Do they work in game?

E: since you were so fast...
@ author You do not need to restart the World Editor. Just set them to the right path in the Import Manager and save the map before using or referencing to them in the object editor.

Yeah, okay, so I was fast with my statement.
I did everything. Re-installing the game from scratch, restarting my computer, and restarting the editor. Nothing! And yes, the files are set in the right paths. And unfortunately they don't appear to work in-game on my own maps.

Level 2
Where did you get the models? Does the files only do that on one map or are all the maps affected?

Well, let's see how I can describe this. The map was from Mod DB. As for other mods, they were collected from both this site and the site found in this following link:

http://chaosrealm.info/forum/3068334

The first three models I collected work. Any others won't.

Hmm. I could try starting a new map and see what happens.

Well, it would appear that only certain models will work. The models I have working properly are the Firebat, Medic, SC2 Goliath, and SC2 Battlecruiser. The models I have tried but will not work are either the Terran Dropship or the Medivac. The Dropship is from this following asset:

http://chaosrealm.info/topic/8599338/1/

A lot of cool stuff, but I can't get some to work. If any of you are interested, hopefully it wouldn't be a waste of your time.

Okay, I think I found what looks like the Terran Marauder. I'm going to go give that one a try.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Why are people making a StarCraft map in Warcraft III when there is StarCraft II which is already StarCraft. It seems to be kind of defeating the point that most people blather on about that StarCraft II lacks fantasy models yet here you are with Warcraft III lacking sci-fi models.

If I recall in WC3 models define sounds for certain actions such as the marine gun fire sound as well as can depend on other models for some reason (I forget what). I am not entirely sure what happens if the model lacks the assets it requires but not loading is one possible solution. Make sure that all the sound and other assets used by the models are also in the map.

Also do check if they appear in-game or not. If the model fails to load in-game it will not appear at all. I have had a few cases where a model works perfectly in-game yet fails to appear in the editor.

I also remember some problem with custom Inferal based models failing to load. Call of Time PoM map suffered this for a long time where 1 of the heroes being completely invisible except for some flames. I forget what the issue is with the Infernal that makes it problematic.

Level 2
Why are people making a StarCraft map in Warcraft III when there is StarCraft II which is already StarCraft. It seems to be kind of defeating the point that most people blather on about that StarCraft II lacks fantasy models yet here you are with Warcraft III lacking sci-fi models.

If I recall in WC3 models define sounds for certain actions such as the marine gun fire sound as well as can depend on other models for some reason (I forget what). I am not entirely sure what happens if the model lacks the assets it requires but not loading is one possible solution. Make sure that all the sound and other assets used by the models are also in the map.

Also do check if they appear in-game or not. If the model fails to load in-game it will not appear at all. I have had a few cases where a model works perfectly in-game yet fails to appear in the editor.

I also remember some problem with custom Inferal based models failing to load. Call of Time PoM map suffered this for a long time where 1 of the heroes being completely invisible except for some flames. I forget what the issue is with the Infernal that makes it problematic.

It's a project that I've been working on since before StarCraft II ever came out. And really, I don't like it when people call Warcraft III obsolete and StarCraft II superior. I'm going to make it clear for all of you. Warcraft III is a classic, so show some respect.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Since you quoted my entire thing yet did not respond on anything but the opening, here it is again for you.

If I recall in WC3 models define sounds for certain actions such as the marine gun fire sound as well as can depend on other models for some reason (I forget what). I am not entirely sure what happens if the model lacks the assets it requires but not loading is one possible solution. Make sure that all the sound and other assets used by the models are also in the map. These can be textures to sounds. Also note that some models will load fine on Windows but fail to load or even crash MAC (not sure if this applies).

I also remember some problem with custom Infernal based models failing to load. Call of Time PoM map suffered this for a long time where 1 of the heroes being completely invisible except for some flames. I forget what the issue is with the Infernal that makes it problematic.

Last edited:
Level 2
Yeah, thank you, I heard. And I get the fact that StarCraft lacks fantasy, but have you ever tried to combine fantasy and science fiction together? It's pretty cool if you ask me. Plus Azeroth is a world. A planet. And StarCraft travels to more than one planet. Okay, not entirely true for Warcraft because there are both Azeroth and Outland.

Now for the other thread I received. I don't know if the problem is related to textures. The texture files are there and in the right pathing. There is, however, one thing that didn't occur to me. The updated patch for Warcraft III. Could any of it be somehow related to that? Okay, I don't know much about the patches of the game or what connections they may have, but is it possible?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Now for the other thread I received. I don't know if the problem is related to textures. The texture files are there and in the right pathing. There is, however, one thing that didn't occur to me. The updated patch for Warcraft III. Could any of it be somehow related to that? Okay, I don't know much about the patches of the game or what connections they may have, but is it possible?
No they should make no difference as you are already using the latest patch all assets will be present. I do not know of any assets that were forcefully deleted (specified as a removed file in a patch) although the functionality does exist as specified by the MPQ format.

If you are not using the latest version of WC3 that would be a problem however as many assets were only added in various patches. However as far as I know everyone, expect a few people who want to play legacy maps that no longer work, is using the latest version so I doubt it applies to you.

Last edited:
Level 2
No they should make no difference as since you are already using the latest patch all assets will be present. I do not know of any assets that were forcefully deleted (specified as a removed file in a patch) although the functionality does exist as specified by the MPQ format.

Wait. MPQ? As it just so happens, I'm acquainted with the MPQ Editor. If I were to insert the custom texture files and perhaps models into either of the MPQ files in WC3's directory, will that do anything?

I may have found the problem. I found another model relating to a SC2 Terran Medivac, and it works fine. Sure, the model can be a bit twitchy at times because of its animations, but it's still a beauty. I think the problem is that the other Medivac model was missing a texture file. That or the texture file had a name that did not relate to its model thus stirring confusion and having me taking no notice of it.

May this be a lesson to all. If you post a model, the texture file's name should always relate to the name of its model. Otherwise, everyone will confuse it as something else.

Well, that is just totally messed up. With none of the custom models from the map I found not working on my map, I decided to copy the found map and converted it to my work because of the models working in there, but any other models I import, which work on my first map, do not work on that one. It's like something that can be described with a frequency or region. Both maps seem to work oppositely in terms of custom models and textures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your problem seems rather strange. Would you mind making a new map, importing a few of the models that aren't working for you, and see if it works? Then attach the map here if it doesn't.

That way, we can see whether it is an issue with paths or missing textures, or if it is your own computer. Models internally reference which textures they need, and what paths they should be on. It is pretty easy to check using Magos' Model Editor (check out tools section). Just go to Windows -> Texture Manager, and it will list all the textures that the model uses (some might be already in the MPQ, so you don't have to worry about those).

P.S. On a side note, mod whichever game you like. :) That is why this community exists.

Level 2
Your problem seems rather strange. Would you mind making a new map, importing a few of the models that aren't working for you, and see if it works? Then attach the map here if it doesn't.

That sounds like a deal. Since I do more things than fiddling with the WC3 Editor, give me a couple of days. As for the attachment, it'll be a dropbox link available to anyone.

Level 2
Well, I realize that it took me a little longer to upload the maps. There were things in life I had to take care of. There are five maps; and as I said, the main issue is the custom models both in editor and in game. Examine each map, and hopefully you'll see my problem. However, if you cannot find anything wrong at your end, then maybe it is just me.

The map files are in a dropbox link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hzzd4k7nqjehec1/AADNm2vszVUdI18CzppD-q4aa

I hope you are able to access them. Let me know if there are any issues.

Level 9
i think you messed up the texture path,
try opening the mdx in magos model editor
and open the texture tab and see the path of the textures and re-check them in import manager

if this doesnt solve also try importing this default peon model which doesnt use custom texture
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/83wdop/_files/peon.mdx

if importing this work

i guess you should recheck your texture path

hope it helps

Level 2
i think you messed up the texture path,
try opening the mdx in magos model editor
and open the texture tab and see the path of the textures and re-check them in import manager

if this doesnt solve also try importing this default peon model which doesnt use custom texture
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/83wdop/_files/peon.mdx

if importing this work

i guess you should recheck your texture path

hope it helps

That's not the point. I tried multiple texture paths, yet none of them worked. Even the right paths wouldn't work for me.

Level 9
You can try to upload the map with models

we can help you check the problem for you

if you dont mind

and see if its your WE that cause the problem

Level 9
Okay, here comes a bigger question. How can I search and resolve a problem with the WE? Is there a certain setting or program that allows me to perform such a task?

Things you can do to try solving your problems
Just suggestions btw

1: Try reinstalling warcraft 3tft
2: Download JNGP here http://wc3modding.info/4263/the-jass-newgen-pack-jngp-2-0/
3: Post the map let us check whats wrong with it or atleast post some screenshot of your World Editor and import manager

Note:*JNGP is a more advance version of the world editor

Level 9
Heres the newer version of it

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/miscellaneous-tutorials-456/how-download-install-configure-jngp-160547/

Warning very long wall of text[/COLOR]]What is it?

Jass NewGen Pack 2 is one of the most important tool for any WC3 modder because it offers a full set of plugins to develop maps using the improved vJASS language. Even more it comes with new stuff to make mapping a faster ans reliable experience.

In this new version we have implemented new stuff, more access to specific tools, help files and (hopefully) a nicer experience to the final user. If you have any comment or suggestion about how to improve this pack, just propose it here. The features included in this pack are the following:

Grimoire (version 1.5)
Vexorian's jasshelper compiler (version 0.A.2.B)
Cohadar's jasshelper compiler (version 2012-03-10)
PJass (1.0m)
PitzerMike's Grim Extension pack 1.0b
TESH 0.7.1.1 (Unofficial update by Van Damm)
UMSWE (5.0)
Risc's Colorizer FINAL. Requires .NET framework to run
ScorpioT1000's Campaign Builder (0.1)
Sharpcraft by MindWorX NEW!!

The final result is a world editor that compiles vJass code, uses the latest PJass to check for errors, highlights jass code, has a proper testing environment, supports visual preview of colored tooltips and can use grim extension pack as well. Not to mention that jasshelper also saves backups of whatever you save so it is also safer.

Important Note: This version now comes with Sharpcraft, a better implementation of Reinventing the Craft. So from JNGP version 2.0.7. we'll be updating this awesome mod and JNGP will offer and easy to use File Updater.

What's new in JNGP 2.X.X.
Mainly our interest was to recover a lost feature since Warcraft III version 1.24: the ability to play a map directly with just a right click. From this we've added more a more features requested in this topic and now we are offering a very stable version with new features. These are the new features implemented:

Check for Updates:
From version 2.0.7, you will have an easy interface to know if there's a new version of this pack or any of the other mods contained in JNGP. In this first release, Sharpcraft will come as a CORE feature of this pack, but later we'll implement a protocol to allow other custom additions to this pack.

JNGP Version 2.0.X > Check for Updates...
Multiplayer Emulation:
Taking advantage of Kloader library (credits to kolkoo for this awesome app), we now can run multiple instances of Warcraft III. At first sight is that was not useful, but with this you can use the LAN Game settings to test your map in an equivalent multiplayer environment and thus, checking any possible issues related with desyncs or failures that only were possible to detect with the help of a partner in Bnet.

JNGP Version 2.0.X > Start Multiplayer Emulation...
Fast Map Running
With this feature you can run any map with just a right click. In order to enable this feature you have to open JNGP and uncheck and check the "Enable Shell Extension". Doing this JNGP will reload the new feature.

Right click in a Warcraft III map
Custom Menu Settings
With this you can add custom WC3 tools in JNGP without the need of touching any part of the JNGP code. With this you can run from executables to normal files.

JNGP Version 2.0.X > Set Custom Menu Loader...
Status Information
This dialog box will serve as a way to report any issue, it was designed to get important info about your current JNGP and WC3 settings and it will serve to add more settings according to the evolution of this pack. From this interface, you can post directly and nicely your bug reports (even it open this page to post your issues at once :) )

JNGP Version 2.0.X > Diagnose JNGP Settings...
Set Manually WC3 Path
After receiving a lot of issues related to non detection of Warcraft III path in JNGP, I've set a way where you can define it manually. If you can't set the Path in this way, definitely you don't have WC3 installed or you have something really wrong :p

JNGP Version 2.0.X > Set Manually WC3 Path...

You dont need membership for jngp just download and install it

Level 19
Heres the newer version of it

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/miscellaneous-tutorials-456/how-download-install-configure-jngp-160547/

Warning very long wall of text[/COLOR]]What is it?

Jass NewGen Pack 2 is one of the most important tool for any WC3 modder because it offers a full set of plugins to develop maps using the improved vJASS language. Even more it comes with new stuff to make mapping a faster ans reliable experience.

In this new version we have implemented new stuff, more access to specific tools, help files and (hopefully) a nicer experience to the final user. If you have any comment or suggestion about how to improve this pack, just propose it here. The features included in this pack are the following:

Grimoire (version 1.5)
Vexorian's jasshelper compiler (version 0.A.2.B)
Cohadar's jasshelper compiler (version 2012-03-10)
PJass (1.0m)
PitzerMike's Grim Extension pack 1.0b
TESH 0.7.1.1 (Unofficial update by Van Damm)
UMSWE (5.0)
Risc's Colorizer FINAL. Requires .NET framework to run
ScorpioT1000's Campaign Builder (0.1)
Sharpcraft by MindWorX NEW!!

The final result is a world editor that compiles vJass code, uses the latest PJass to check for errors, highlights jass code, has a proper testing environment, supports visual preview of colored tooltips and can use grim extension pack as well. Not to mention that jasshelper also saves backups of whatever you save so it is also safer.

Important Note: This version now comes with Sharpcraft, a better implementation of Reinventing the Craft. So from JNGP version 2.0.7. we'll be updating this awesome mod and JNGP will offer and easy to use File Updater.

What's new in JNGP 2.X.X.
Mainly our interest was to recover a lost feature since Warcraft III version 1.24: the ability to play a map directly with just a right click. From this we've added more a more features requested in this topic and now we are offering a very stable version with new features. These are the new features implemented:

Check for Updates:
From version 2.0.7, you will have an easy interface to know if there's a new version of this pack or any of the other mods contained in JNGP. In this first release, Sharpcraft will come as a CORE feature of this pack, but later we'll implement a protocol to allow other custom additions to this pack.

JNGP Version 2.0.X > Check for Updates...
Multiplayer Emulation:
Taking advantage of Kloader library (credits to kolkoo for this awesome app), we now can run multiple instances of Warcraft III. At first sight is that was not useful, but with this you can use the LAN Game settings to test your map in an equivalent multiplayer environment and thus, checking any possible issues related with desyncs or failures that only were possible to detect with the help of a partner in Bnet.

JNGP Version 2.0.X > Start Multiplayer Emulation...
Fast Map Running
With this feature you can run any map with just a right click. In order to enable this feature you have to open JNGP and uncheck and check the "Enable Shell Extension". Doing this JNGP will reload the new feature.

Right click in a Warcraft III map
Custom Menu Settings
With this you can add custom WC3 tools in JNGP without the need of touching any part of the JNGP code. With this you can run from executables to normal files.

JNGP Version 2.0.X > Set Custom Menu Loader...
Status Information
This dialog box will serve as a way to report any issue, it was designed to get important info about your current JNGP and WC3 settings and it will serve to add more settings according to the evolution of this pack. From this interface, you can post directly and nicely your bug reports (even it open this page to post your issues at once :) )

JNGP Version 2.0.X > Diagnose JNGP Settings...
Set Manually WC3 Path
After receiving a lot of issues related to non detection of Warcraft III path in JNGP, I've set a way where you can define it manually. If you can't set the Path in this way, definitely you don't have WC3 installed or you have something really wrong :p

JNGP Version 2.0.X > Set Manually WC3 Path...

You dont need membership for jngp just download and install it

You linked the wrong JNGP, here is the latest (2.0.7 atm), by moyack.

Level 8
We got the same problem , some models of building doesn't work it appear to me that the model can't be loaded , someone knows a solution to this problem?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You linked the wrong JNGP
No the one he linked is fine.

I still think it might be permission related. The editor needs to create a number of temporary files (the files that make up the map inside the map archive, imports possibly included) in the install directory before packing them all into the map archive. If the editor process fails to create such files, then garbage will be saved instead (usually an empty file).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
How can it be permission-related if I can still access the maps?
Because file systems have several kinds of permission. The most common is separate read and write permissions so it can be possible to view stuff in read only mode but not modify it. If it happens that some intermediate folder or step involved with importing models is blocked due to permissions it might silently fail and instead write garbage or nothing to the archive at that path.

It is a long shot but people are pretty much running out of ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.