• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Changing Ability Data with Triggers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Greetings. I am attempting to create a few different spells, the effects of which I can only think to accomplish by directly changing the value of an ability's data.
For example, a spell that increases a unit's max life by a percentage of their current max life. There are abilities that can change max life, of course, but only by a fixed amount. If it were possible to change that amount with triggers, I could set the amount to the unit's max life multiplied by, say, .25.
I have not found a method of doing this with GUI and my knowledge of JASS is quite poor, so I am in need of help.

Level 12
You can't change an ability's object data through triggers, either trigger the effect of spell or change ability.

Level 3
Create a passive ability based off of Item HP Bonus. Call it HP bonus (or whatever you want).

Give it 1000 levels (or as many as you need). Shift-click the editor field to do so, or else it won't let you go past 100.
Set Level 1 = 1 hp, level 2 = 2 hp, etc.

When (unit casts spell)
Add Ability to unit
Set level of ability to 0.25 * max life of unit
Disable Ability for owner of unit

This will grant your unit a passive that gives max life equal to 25% of their max life, then hides the passive from the player so they can't see it. When you want to remove the hp bonus, use "Remove Ability from Unit".

You can use this method for stuff like STR/AGI/INT, HP, MP, armor, damage, etc.

I am using this method of passives in my own map to grant item bonuses without items being in the unit's inventory. Hope this helps, if you are still confused I can upload a map.

Status
Not open for further replies.