• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Change Race of Player ingame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
For an idea for a map in a campaign, I was just wondering is it possible to change the race of a player ingame? This is for a singleplayer map.

Say you start as a Night Elf player, you're told to build up your forces to defend your base of an attack that will come in 10 minutes. You hurry all you can and after those 10 minutes you change from the Night Elf raceto the Orc race and lead the attackers on your base with all the defenses you cleverly built.

Alternatives I thought might be possible:

1) Either by GUI or Jass triggers that allows you to change the race, hud and sounds of a player to a different race.

2) Like they did in the orc campaign, using a saved(?) state that you load in a copy of the map but with a different player set as the controller.

3) Save variables from the first map, like how much gold the player has, what upgrades, how many troops etc and then load them in a second map. This would however not keep track of destructibles, etc.

4) Keep the same hud for both races, don't really wanna do this.

5) Use a shared control player for the other race, don't really wanna do this.

Is it possible to do?

Last edited:
Level 29
why dont you use the native function;
native RaceChange takes player p1, player p2 returns nothing

nahhh, just kidding around, coz there's no such native anyway why dont you just change in game sounds and units?, it's easier that way...

how much gold the player has, what upgrades, how many troops etc and then load them in a second map.
Possible, but the hardest part of your saves is the player's progress like quests...

Level 25
why dont you use the native function;
native RaceChange takes player p1, player p2 returns nothing

nahhh, just kidding around, coz there's no such native anyway why dont you just change in game sounds and units?, it's easier that way...

Possible, but the hardest part of your saves is the player's progress like quests...
I can't just switch out the sounds, if I start the game as a night elf player, then I'm going to have night elf food sounds as an orc.. Unless I can change those AND the hud ingame?

or just dont care about the UI, or give player some custom-made one :D

Its always nice to play at human's UI :D
I could do that, but I think it would look a bit weird :)

Level 29
4) Keep the same hud for both races, don't really wanna do this.
you dont have a choice if you have only 1 map...

5) Use a shared control player for the other race, don't really wanna do this.
no need for that IMO, hud still remain same...just change the owner of units...

if you 'really' want to change the race completely, then #3 is your best bet...

Level 25
you dont have a choice if you have only 1 map...

no need for that IMO, hud still remain same...just change the owner of units...

if you 'really' want to change the race completely, then #3 is your best bet...

5) changes the food sounds and the ability circles however. But yeah, I guess I'll go with option 3. Just wanted to see if it was possible otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.