• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Bind a unit to groups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
What I want to do is to create more "Quick Keyboard Shortcuts" since I am already using the arrow keys and the Esc keys for at least a couple of functions each. So my plan is to bind dummy units to groups and once the player selects these units, (By pressing the number key the dummy unit is binded in) an event would be triggered and the unit will be automatically deselected. Making it look like an actual keyboard shortcut.

So, tl;dr,

Is it possible to bind units to groups (ctrl + 1-0) forcibly and prevent the player in binding other units to that specific group? If it is, How?

That is a neat idea, but I don't believe there is any way to get access to control groups. I'm afraid you'll have to find another route.

Anyway, in multiplayer it would take a while for the select to occur and deselect (it would be a noticeable amount of time) depending on latency, so it wouldn't be the best option gameplay wise.

Level 23
That is a neat idea, but I don't believe there is any way to get access to control groups. I'm afraid you'll have to find another route.

Anyway, in multiplayer it would take a while for the select to occur and deselect (it would be a noticeable amount of time) depending on latency, so it wouldn't be the best option gameplay wise.

Yeah, I'll find something else. And It's for a single player RPG so no multiplayer problemo.

Ah use the force key command?

I believe that just forces the player to use some ability in the command card that has a hotkey? Not really what I was looking for. ^^

so you use a unit is selected event and the check if the unit is a certain group. I think that could work, but it would be.. ugly coding.

Yeah, but I just want to find more shortcut keys. My command card is already full... of spellbooks and those spellbooks are already full too. xD

So yeah, I'm desperate for a little more shortcut keys.

Last edited:
Level 23
player cooperation.

I'm afraid that's a bit scarce these days. Most players don't even pay attention to instructions much more do stuff the maps says them to do.

But that idea is pretty good and I think I know how the system is basically made. but there's still that problem of the player replacing the group manually with his own selection of units. Which is probably something that can't be avoided atm.

I'm afraid that's a bit scarce these days. Most players don't even pay attention to instructions much more do stuff the maps says them to do.

But that idea is pretty good and I think I know how the system is basically made. but there's still that problem of the player replacing the group manually with his own selection of units. Which is probably something that can't be avoided atm.

Selection checks are possible. People who fail to read map's instructions usually are the five or less minute leavers.

Status
Not open for further replies.