• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ability Strings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi, ive been working on a map for quite some time, im in the middle of finalising the details on the hero units and ive been editing spells.

Its all been going fine, but now, theres a particular hero i want to give multiple abilities based on Flame Strike, and whenever used in game, they proc from the same ability string. Ive tried doing the obvious and changing it to something else in the field, but that doesnt appear to work - both still list as "flame strike", with the same shortcut, and cast each other regardless of which button is pressed.

Anyone got any advice for me on this one? would be much appreciated.

Level 15
This is a common problem which occurs after creating two custom spells on the same base ability.

Actually the main reason of the interference isn't the ability string, nor the name of the ability, it's the ID. Here you'll be needing Jass NewGenPack World Editor.
When you right-click Flame Strike and press 'Create New ability...' , the JNGP Editor will demand the new name of the spell, then it will demand a new ID, here you can put random 4 characters, for example OOOE, Re-rightclick and create the second spell, but this time another ID, which is OOOB. And now there would be no interference , just change the hotkey and everything will go fine.

PS : This is the download link for the latest version of JNGP http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...en-pack-2-0-x-beta-recruiting-testing-233145/

NOTE : You can't change the ID after creating a spell, nor you can make a custom ID by normal editor

Good luck bru

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

they need to have individual order strings

Level 22
IIRC, you can't have multiple copies of an ability on a unit which has the same order string and you can't change them, except for Channel because you can actually change it's order string. Try using Channel as the base (albeit dummy) spell and use a dummy unit to cast the actual spell based off Flame Strike.

Level 22
Actually, it was your post that was way off, jondrean's post just lacked the detail about hard-coded order strings on default spells. No offense btw, and sorry for the off-topic post Necromund.

Level 15
Actually, it was your post that was way off, jondrean's post just lacked the detail about hard-coded order strings on default spells. No offense btw, and sorry for the off-topic post Necromund.

Well it never went off-topic , since I know that changing order strings doesn't work, I thought the reason is the similar ID but I was wrong, they automatically have different IDs

Level 2
Thanks for all the responses, so essentially, id need to manually edit them using the tool Jonhy has suggested? I assume this would work for all abilities, e.g. Raise Dead? (as i intend to make a necromancer with various pets)

EDIT: just reread it through, so the best solution is a dummy unit with an ability modified from channel?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

they need to have individual order strings

@jondrean those are raw codes and are only referenced when Adding/Removing/Modifying Abilities in JASS.

you mean those which i talked about or those which he talked about?

Status
Not open for further replies.