• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WarCraft: The Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Shame, I wanted an extended cut. Guess those deleted scenes will have to be implemented by fans. :(

Enjoy :wink:

** update **

They eventually will, after Warcraft 2 if it ever happens. Based on the success of the first movie we will get follow-ups.

According to The Independent:
Warcraft set to lose studio huge amounts of money despite China success

Quoting:
"Plans for a sequel are now looking less likely, and if a follow-up film does happen, chances are it will be geared towards the Chinese market rather than American."

Please see also:
Warcraft (2016) - International Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo

Last edited:
Level 21

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Warcraft 4K UHD, Blu-ray, 3D, DVD and Digital Release Date and Details - TheHDRoom

Summary:
- September 27th: 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray and DVD releases
[...]

Only a few days late for that other reminder. :wink: This is the US and Canada release, btw.
Physical editions of Warcraft: the Beginning will be available on October 10 in the UK.

Select physical editions allow to unlock a hero in two Blizzard games:
- Medivh in Hearthstone
- Gul'dan in Heroes of the Storm

A digital copy of WoW (with 30 days of game time) is also included in these select editions.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
In a way, WoW already changed established pre-WoW canon, especially with the invention of the Draenai race which didn't exist pre-WoW (there were the broken ones in WC3 though, so at least they thought of it).
The Rise of the Shadow Council
Like an elemental force of havoc and destruction we thundered through the lands of the Draenei
devastating all that we beheld. Not one life was spared. No building was left standing. The only
traces of their existence were the blood-soaked fields they had worked for nearly five thousand years
and the rank, acrid smell of the huge victory fires that consumed the bodies of their young. The
Draenei were a weak people - hardly worth the effort of our raiding sweep. In the end, however, even
these simple victories serve to keep the inferior in their place…
Though I remained with my people
on the dark, red world of the Draenei, I soon learned to project myself into the depths of the Twisting
Nether, being driven nearly mad by the whispering chaos contained therein.
The Mastery of Forces - Medivh and Blackhand
Things were well within the Horde. Though the Shadow Council kept the warring clans pacified by the
promise of escape from the dying world, I knew that this new order - much like the war against the
Draenei - would provide only a brief respite if I could not find new lands for the Orcs to conquer.
The agents of the Shadow Council reported that the denizens of this world were called Humans, and
their lands were known as Azeroth. We found that these Humans were a weak race, farming their
fields and living peacefully in the countryside. I feared that they would prove no more of a challenge
than the Draenei, and would not appease the hunger of the Orcish war machine for long. The clan
chieftains, quickly swayed by their lust for blood and war, agreed that it was time to leave this dying
world and lay claim to the domains of Azeroth.
Excerpts taken from Warcraft II manual.
The second one kind of implies the planet was called after that race, eh, even maybe that the race originated there?
Just sayin'.

idk, they look pretty accurate minus the skin color differences. Here is a good ref photo:
By all means, Warcraft II. They're very much like humans in what their size is concerned.

That scene Lothar killing Blackhand in one fell swoop in a duel is complete BS.
It is not. However, the fact that Lothar had to kill Blackhand instead of Doomhammer...

What was that Medivh transformation? He looked like a demonhunter? Is that a WoW-retcon? It was super weird and even I couldn't explain it to my friend, and I played all the games
Sargeras
From the Warcraft III manual.

Medivh not aging Khadgar is an example of a huge change from the books, one which will have a major impact on his character.
Warcraft II by the way. Eff the books.
But make no mistake:
Beyond the Dark Portal (Warcraft II expansion) shows Khadgar as a bit consumed. Either because war on the dying and foul magicked world of Draenor and/or because of the Skull of Gul'dan and the Book of Medivh. We will never know for sure unless... WoW and whatever else after WcIII.
They might as well not be in there.
Their absence would have raised many questions like: "where were they during the time the humans fought the orcs in the first war?"
I thought they would at least give him his moment against Gul'dan or Blackhand for redemption, but no dice.
One of my concerns, yes. They decided using Lothar as if he didn't have enough meaning to the story.
There was no payoff. Wasted opportunity for an otherwise well made and emotional death.
A bit controversial but it still happens nowadays. Most people look away. The weird thing was that a human was more prone to be honoured than Durotan. Of course, probably it came like such a shock to the orcs but still, all of them went against Gul'dan's will and listened to the background noise of Garona who was trying to tell Lothar she still loved him and that she didn't betray the humans?

I'm thankful that yet again China is going to save this movie for another sequel.
Me too. It's commendable. Why should the Farce Awakens get way more credit than Warcraft?

The game voices were much easier to understand and they did not sound like their pitch was exaggeratedly decreased by 20dB. They had a natural husky and roaring tone
Well if you mean the first two Warcraft games, maybe let's say even the third, yes but WoW is kind of another story. I wasn't particularly annoyed by that nitpick. However, Garona...
The actor who played Medivh felt completely out of place. His body- type would fit a barbarian or a warrior more than a wizard (we all know how wizards appear skinny or under-built in video games).
That's just a stereotype. Medivh looked quite fit in RoC.
He has strong hands and quite wide and straightened shoulders. It's not just the costume. Moreover, you've seen him in the film as doing other stuff than reading books. He also does hand labour. That means he shouldn't necessarily be skinny as you imply.

What if we eventually get the WC3 storyline as a movie? There is no way they can fit the Thrall, Illidan and Arthas stories into just a single 2 hour movie. There is just way too much going on in this game.
Who said it should be one movie? Why not make a movie for each Warcraft III campaign or something?

Garona actually is half-human and half-orc.
Garona Halforcen
Taken from the Warcraft: Orcs & Human manual. Doesn't look like a Draenei.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, to share a few of my thoughts:
http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/10878387908?page=9#post-180
Warcraft was better than the Farce Awakens. If I gave F.A. a 7.5, now I'll reduce it to 6 and give Warcraft a 7.

-first off, the orcs... they are humongous. They even throw horses... They were never that big in the game. They also had problems dealing with horses in their first encounters and were even scared by them
-it was interesting how they made the orcs come in; first through the Twisting Nether as a small group and then through a built portal. I didn't think Gul'dan alone was convincing using an instant spell to open the portal. I know he didn't know that Medivh was actually doing most of the job but a council of channeling warlocks or necrolytes, whatever, would've been believable even to the orcs
-It starts with a weird line that says that ever since the world was known there was a conflict with the orcs which is quite untrue and proved afterwards
-Gryphons were a normal thing in Stormwind; not until Warcraft II maybe...
-Medivh's sleep is not mentioned and neither is the fact that he was possessed by the essence of Sargeras. Nonfans might see his transformation strange and could draw erred conclusions
-the weird dark and black cube that probably Aegwynn was in, is just without actual explanation. Aegwynn's discussion with Khadgar should've emphasized on Medivh and his corruption. Another odd thing was the light comes from the dark and the dark comes from light...
-Garona looked too human. Supposedly she was half-orc, half-draenei. The problem was she spoke the human language too well, too soon while other orcs did not at all
-orcs riding horses like they did it for so long; riding a wolf doesn't mean you can ride a horse as well
-giggling orcs sometimes look like humans
-the Fel... what's with that? That kills the demon blood storyline
-Gul'dan is a Shang Tsung Yoda. He was skilled in martial arts which is quite... unbelievable for a magic book worm. How/why was he able to cast instant spells so often while Medivh and Khadgar needed such a long channeling sequence?
-Medivh's mana pool. That was interesting in some way
-Durotan's death is better this way; it had purpose but Draka just dolphined out of the river... (as seen with the white leader orc from the Hobbit). The problem is, that the orcs were quickly scared by Gul'dan when Orgrim said something to him about honour but the orcs had no more problems when a human (Anduin) was leaving victorious after killing Blackhand (well, Orgrim wouldn't have hurt like in the original; honestly Orgrim had no real role in this movie; he'll probably have in the next one, if there's going to be one). And no, the half-breed Garona wasn't in any position of saying something impressive for the orcs to listen. She was not even Gul'dan's lover from what we understood. At least they kept the Llane being killed by her
-Lothar didn't have a son (story). That's not a problem. He is younger than in the game. That's not a problem either
-smart how they introduced the elves and the dwarves out of the war (there weren't any in the first game even in lore)
-bad move with the lame pistols in terms of... not deviating from the original (guns were not present until Warcraft III); humans used crossbows;
-no mention about the demon corruption of Gul'dan and stuff; maybe next time? Surely that would have been better placed as the intro instead of that useless duel between a human and an orc
-blood is scarce and gore absent. That doesn't make it look like real war

-the acting, well, some orcs were just humans apart from Gul'dan, Orgrim, Blackhand and Durotan. Khadgar was really boring, just sounded like an American kid. Ben Foster did a good job as Medivh. I really had expectations and they weren't dismissed. Lothar was well acted but won't mention the same for Garona. Draka was a better orc than her. Llane was, well, OK

-the music.... oh yeah the music... that's why I won't give it a 0.5 or 1 point bonus; they should've used music from the games instead... yeah there are some brief reminders of that but... otherwise it's just music not to be remembered

Suggestions for next BlizzEnt movies:
-have composers from the games do the music or at least people that know what they're doing. The music for A Game of Thrones isn't something to sing/play either except for the main theme
-do not leave too much in the clouds because that sort of mystery creates unnecessary questions and kills audience. Explain things even with a few scenes or words
-change as little as possible from the original story, mostly only things that make the least sense
-make battles and deaths look real. Otherwise it feels like watching a cartoon for kids

Last edited:

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
The Honest Trailer is out:

... and they went surprisingly easy on Warcraft, considering how bad the critics were. Then again, this movie is a nerd-fest and ScreenJunkies is pro-nerd, so maybe that was to be expected.
Also, they dragged MatPat into this.

And now that I hear the original voices of these actors, no wonder the movie failed so hard in the US. The german voice-actors did their best at damage control.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Beyond the Dark Portal (Warcraft II expansion) shows Khadgar as a bit consumed. Either because war on the dying and foul magicked world of Draenor and/or because of the Skull of Gul'dan and the Book of Medivh. We will never know for sure [...]

Facing abominations and reading the wrong book, might make a fictional character instantly grow some white hair:

evil-dead-ii-grey.jpg
evil-dead-ii-demon-food.jpg

-blood is scarce and gore absent. That doesn't make it look like real war [...]
-make battles and deaths look real. Otherwise it feels like watching a cartoon for kids

The Warcraft movie aimed for a PG-13 rating, in order to also target young teenagers.
Going for an R rating for the theatrical release, would have meant losing money.
Warcraft (2016) - Parents Guide

Last edited:
Level 7
I honestly love the movie so much it killed my interest in WoW. The movie was just that much better, to me. I wouldn't mind a Skyrim-style game set in this universe or Warcraft 3 mods based on it.

Level 28
The movie was pretty cool and the orcs were the best part, hopefully it gets a sequel. I wonder what it would be based on? Warcraft II?
Interviews I have read about point to Lord of the Clans. Obviously I would love the focus on this story, but I would also be dissapoined because of the time gap between the first movie.

Level 12
Honestly, I liked the lore in the movie better than the actual lore. Alodi I didn't care so much about, but Garona being Medivh's daughter instead of his lover? SO MUCH BETTER. I think I heard that Chris Metzen wrote the movie to be the way it should've been (since, let's face it, the lore has gotten straight up weird with all the gnome technology, excessive races, etc.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
but Garona being Medivh's daughter instead of his lover?
Well, the RTS game manuals don't say anything about that and it's how I want it to be kept.
the lore has gotten straight up weird with all the gnome technology, excessive races, etc.
Yah, it became Final Fantasy... But that's only one side of the problem... Honestly Warcraft II & III are good in that aspect because there's a stern limit (border of technology and fantasy; keeping it thinly steampunk). However, WoW just went slapdash.

Level 11
let's face it, the lore has gotten straight up weird with all the gnome technology, excessive races, etc

Honestly Warcraft II & III are good in that aspect because there's a stern limit (border of technology and fantasy; keeping it thinly steampunk). However, WoW just went slapdash
Thank you so much for writing this. I find it not so common to meet people who share the same view as me. WoW is cool, nice gameplay and all, but the spirit of the old RTS games is long gone (not in terms of gameplay of course, but in terms of lore and general atmosphere). That's mostly because of these few things:
  • An over-use of magic and goblin/gnome technology: too much teleportation, too much use of robots and computers and cell phones, and stuff like that. It kills the immersion imo. A little bit of (unstable) technology won't harm (just like in War 2 and 3). But that much is totally out of place in that kind of fantasy world.
  • Weird races mix: Undead bonding with Orcs and Taurens, seriously? After all Thrall did to help the Horde back on peaceful and shamanic tradition, he'd let his fellow Orcs come close of some nasty Undeads led by self-seeking and dangerous Sylvanas? Same for Taurens, a race close to nature and druidism, they've got nothing to do with the Undead... Oh, and let's not talk about the Draenei and them showing up in Azeroth out of the blue...
  • Weird use of classes: Warlocks controlling demons? Like we didn't have enough trouble with the Burning Legion, we let crazy people wander around the streets followed by demon pets they just summoned? Death Knights in the Alliance and in the Horde? I played the DK quests, they try to explain this, but it's not convincing at all. Even more: Tauren, Night Elf or Troll DK are really out of place.
Well I could rant on and on about all this, I have dozens of reproaches about the lore in WoW, but I think I'm gonna stop here, I'm being digressing off-topic a bit too much!

Anyway, I like the idea of Metzen writing the story of Warcraft like it should have been, as long as it sticks by the general spirit of the old lore. I'd love to see a remake of WoW or Warcraft 4 to do it. Oops, off-topic again. I'll watch the movie some time soon so I can have a real opinion about it...

Last edited:
Level 7
I've been saying much the same since 2016 -- the Warcraft movie was a much, much better representation of the lore than WoW itself has been in a good long time. I'd say the cynical "that's not saying much" but I'm not really feeling very cynical about this -- it just straight up IS.

It's not a perfect movie, by any stretch. There are plenty of flaws to be had. But I still find the experience enjoyable and the story itself to be incredibly solid for such an ambitious take on the source material. I also love how it tried to embrace classic lore and modern lore at the same time while trying to find a happy medium between the two, and was just serious enough that you got a sense of the threat. It felt like a live-action Warcraft 3 cinematic, and that is NOT a bad thing despite what some movie critics might say.

As for the Warcraft 3 and WoW comparisons, yeah there's no question WoW's tone and feel has shifted dramatically from the source material. Honestly I feel as though Classic WoW is where I'll find myself most of the time if it ever comes out, and if I ever feel the need to WoW, and that's only because that's when WoW was still close in tone and feel to Warcraft 3 and the other RTS titles -- though maybe that's just because WoW and WCIII were being developed at the same time and there was some overlap between the dev teams. WCIII is arguably the best game in the series with the 1994 original being a close second.

Level 2
Well It's me from the future. As a Warcraft fan and general fan of the high fantasy genre of story telling I really liked the movie and specially liked the changes and the plot twists the made to make the story overall better in all aspects and also still be surprising to people who did know the lore of the entire Second War.

However as it's clear by now, the movie was a total failure commercially and will in no way get the funding needed for a sequel so it's the end of Warcraft movie series here.

As who's to blame? It's Blizzard not Jones or Universal and it's obvious why. A Warcraft MOVIE was bound to fail from the start. That is like trying make All of game of Thrones in a movie instead of a series. It's a stupid idea. Warcraft should have been series or not have came to screen at all. Fans liked it but anyone who didn't know about Warcraft would be confused as hell and like the movie at all, that's what happened.

Blizzard knew this but cause of intense pressure and also mainly cause they wanted advertisement for Warcraft, they went with it anyways knowing the movie will fail regardless. They could make the movie A New hope Star Wars and only focusing on one character and hero's journey and making horde totally Evil. This would piss off a lot fans tho would make for a good movie for people who didn't know anything about Warcraft.

In the end it did not matter to Blizzard. The Warcraft movie revenue would be pennies to what WOW makes regardless. So they just made the movie as a fan service and an advertisement. Nothing more which is totally a shame.

However don't lose all hope yet tho. The demand for Fantasy TV series and good story telling them in them is on the Rise. With game of Thrones and Now the upcoming Witcher series and Lord of the Rings series. Investors might think of giving Warcraft a second chance as a TV series tho the bad taste of the movie will always be there. CGI also becoming more accessible, better and cheaper as time passes so making a high fantasy series is not that expensive anymore any longer. Look at CG and the battles in Shannara chronicles for example. Pretty damn good considering the budget. Tho will not have much high hopes since there a lot good high fantasy contenders such as Warhammer fantasy out there with actual lore fit for story not gamers Raid experience.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] As a Warcraft fan and general fan of the high fantasy genre of story telling I really liked the movie and specially liked the changes and the plot twists the made to make the story overall better in all aspects and also still be surprising to people who did know the lore of the entire Second War.
Maybe the film could have eventually been better overall, if it had been (much) shorter. Sometimes, less is more.

However as it's clear by now, the movie was a total failure commercially and will in no way get the funding needed for a sequel so it's the end of Warcraft movie series here.
The film has been very successful in China.
Warcraft (2016) - International Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo

Personally, I like the idea of Warcraft: the Musical.

As who's to blame? It's Blizzard not Jones or Universal and it's obvious why. A Warcraft MOVIE was bound to fail from the start. That is like trying make All of game of Thrones in a movie instead of a series. It's a stupid idea. Warcraft should have been series or not have came to screen at all. Fans liked it but anyone who didn't know about Warcraft would be confused as hell and like the movie at all, that's what happened.

Blizzard knew this but cause of intense pressure and also mainly cause they wanted advertisement for Warcraft, they went with it anyways knowing the movie will fail regardless. They could make the movie A New hope Star Wars and only focusing on one character and hero's journey and making horde totally Evil. This would piss off a lot fans tho would make for a good movie for people who didn't know anything about Warcraft.

In the end it did not matter to Blizzard. The Warcraft movie revenue would be pennies to what WOW makes regardless. So they just made the movie as a fan service and an advertisement. Nothing more which is totally a shame.
I doubt that Blizzard had much involvement (if any at all) in the development, and/or shooting, and/or promotion of the film. Maybe you will want to blame Legendary Pictures instead?

Warcraft (2016) - Company credits - IMDb

With such productions, actors sign contracts for two films, in case the first one is successful. If a third film is to be produced, then contracts get re-evaluated (read: the main actors are now in the position to demand a higher salary).

However don't lose all hope yet tho. The demand for Fantasy TV series and good story telling them in them is on the Rise. With game of Thrones and Now the upcoming Witcher series and Lord of the Rings series. Investors might think of giving Warcraft a second chance as a TV series tho the bad taste of the movie will always be there. [...]
LOTR: the Young Aragorn Chronicles. omg no. As if Tauriel was not enough already...

Since you are a general fan of the high fantasy genre of story telling and possibly a fan of the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, then maybe you will be interested in this live action TV series from 1993?

Hobitit - Wikipedia

.. and regarding GoT, what would the storytelling be without the hot/questionable stuff, I wonder...

Maybe LOTR: The TV Series could benefit from some good GoT... err... storytelling, hehe.
:wink:

[...] CGI also becoming more accessible, better and cheaper as time passes so making a high fantasy series is not that expensive anymore any longer. Look at CG and the battles in Shannara chronicles for example. Pretty damn good considering the budget. [...]
Could you please give us some figures about production costs per episode please?

The Avengers was an expensive film with many spectacular scenes.
... and then came Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., with its fantastic plots, outstanding acting and incredibly well done CGI stuff. And I am not even talking about Agent Carter.

:slp:

Last edited:
Level 2
Maybe the film could have eventually been better overall, if it had been (much) shorter. Sometimes, less is more.

That is true and would have been better for non-fans of the series to get a better grasp of Warcraft. However that would mean they had to focus the entire movie on a main on character and few supporting characters with him and idealize the main character as the sole hero. This way it would give better introduction with less characters. Similar to New Hope focus on Luke or Frodo in fellowship. However this goes against whole idea of Warcraft which is a clash of ideals not a one sided heroes journey. They would have to make huge changes to the entire story and not focus on horde at all. This would run the risk of pissing a lot of fans off who have been waiting for years for this movie.

Well when it comes to financing and accounting of it. The movie is a failure unfortunately and made a loss overall tho breakeven if you are generous. You see hugely expensive block buster movies are risky and you could easily lose all your money. To adjust and compensate for the risk, a really high rate of return is required. Warcraft was far off to providing that. Investors would be far better off to put their money in something far far less riskier than Warcraft and still get the same return.

When it comes to second movies, generally it's success heavily depends on the success of the first movie. If the first movie was meh and didn't grab much attention let alone negative attention. Second movie generally will be the same so I don't think anyone will be interested in funding it unless Blizzard decides which i highly doubt

I doubt that Blizzard had much involvement (if any at all) in the development, and/or shooting, and/or promotion of the film. Maybe you will want to blame Legendary Pictures instead?

Warcraft (2016) - Company credits - IMDb

With such productions, actors sign contracts for two films, in case the first one is successful. If a third film is to be produced, then contracts get re-evaluated (read: the main actors are now in the position to demand a higher salary).

Oh Sorry idk why I wrote Universal instead of Legendary. Yes Legendary was in trouble during the making of movie as I said despite that the movie was executed well. It was only the entire idea and story being wrong similar to the Last Jedi not the execution.

As for Blizzard, here is Link to Jones quotes on it.
Warcraft Director Calls Making of the Troubled Film "A [Studio] Political Minefield"

He says also this:
"[Wanda] lost or replaced a number of their producing staff halfway through our movie," Jones says. "And at the same time as all of that, we were also working with Blizzard, who understandably were very careful about what happened with the movie because their bread and butter was the game Warcraft, which was bringing in a billion dollars a year for them. So, whatever we did with the movie was likely to be small potatoes compared to how important the game was for them. So it was really a very active political landscape"

He is being subtle here but you see. A Fan displeasure and backlash to the movie would far more devastating to Blizzard than the movie just pleasing fans but not being successful with majority of Cinema audience. And that was the point whole time. Their incentives was in conflict with Jones who job was to make a great movie for all not a fan-service advertisement for players.

I'm still highly doubtful about a second movie. Makes on the financial part of it.

LOTR: the Young Aragorn Chronicles. omg no. As if Tauriel was not enough already...

Since you are a general fan of the high fantasy genre of story telling and possibly a fan of the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, then maybe you will be interested in this live action TV series from 1993?

Hobitit - Wikipedia

.. and regarding GoT, what would the storytelling be without the hot/questionable stuff, I wonder...

Maybe LOTR: The TV Series could benefit from some good GoT... err... storytelling, hehe.

Could you please give us some figures about production costs per episode please?

... and then came Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., with its fantastic plots, outstanding acting and incredibly well done CGI stuff. And I am not even talking about Agent Carter.

Hmm I thought the new series will be about thousands of years ago far before Aragon. I think it's about Morgoth.

About the TV series, thanks man didn't about it. Gonna watch it.

hahaha about that, I don't think it's really what makes GOT great tho. It does help attract publicity and attention tho it doesn't make people stay. Kinda think of that as a trailer to attract audience for a game. The core story and game play is what makes people keep playing tho.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any regarding Shannara but I'm pretty sure it's really low. I highly doubt MTV would throw anything more than 2-3 mil but that's just a random guess. Shows are not as expensive as you think. Far less expensive than Big Budget movies like The Hobbit or Star Wars. In fact GOT is around 5-10mil per episode while Agents of Shield is 12mil. Nothing in comparison to block buster movies.

And That's the thing. Warcraft did not need ridiculous amounts of CGI and all big name actors. What it indeed was a lot of character development and expansion of the story and the Warcraft world. Things that TV series can offer not Movies.

Hell, Instead of that Warcraft movie we could have that 160 million to get 10 episodes twice the quality of Game of Thrones in terms of battles and CG and That would far far better deal tho it would be less advertisement for WOW and more risky than a movie.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
That is true and would have been better for non-fans of the series to get a better grasp of Warcraft. However that would mean they had to focus the entire movie on a main on character and few supporting characters with him and idealize the main character as the sole hero. This way it would give better introduction with less characters. Similar to New Hope focus on Luke or Frodo in fellowship. However this goes against whole idea of Warcraft which is a clash of ideals not a one sided heroes journey. They would have to make huge changes to the entire story and not focus on horde at all. This would run the risk of pissing a lot of fans off who have been waiting for years for this movie.
I have read that before Duncan Jones signed to direct the film, the original script was very Humans sided. A second film could have focused on another faction, i.e. the Orcs. Had this happened, it would then have been a daring (and somewhat risky for the second film) attempt at recreating the way the story of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans unfolds from a gamer's point of view.

Well when it comes to financing and accounting of it. The movie is a failure unfortunately and made a loss overall tho breakeven if you are generous.
I believe that ultimately the film broke even, and maybe was a little bit profitable.

The (very) rough formula is:
$433,677,183 - ($160,000,000 x 2)
note: advertising costs unknown

Also, do not forget the additional benefits over the years with pay per view or broadcasting rights, for example. Therefore, it *will* be profitable in the long run.

You see hugely expensive block buster movies are risky and you could easily lose all your money. To adjust and compensate for the risk, a really high rate of return is required. Warcraft was far off to providing that. Investors would be far better off to put their money in something far far less riskier than Warcraft and still get the same return.
I want Warcraft: the (Black)rock Opera on Broadway.

When it comes to second movies, generally it's success heavily depends on the success of the first movie. If the first movie was meh and didn't grab much attention let alone negative attention. Second movie generally will be the same so I don't think anyone will be interested in funding it unless Blizzard decides which i highly doubt
I would say further films are generally a bit less profitable anyway. But it is difficult to generalize here.

Hmm I thought the new series will be about thousands of years ago far before Aragon. I think it's about Morgoth.
There is no official script written yet afaik but according to TheOneRing.net, the opening season of the show is going to be focused on a young Aragorn, nme.com says.

I would personally go for such ludicrous titles as Aragorn: a LOTR story, or for LOTR: the lone Ranger.
:grin:

Shows are not as expensive as you think. Far less expensive than Big Budget movies like The Hobbit or Star Wars.
In November 2017, Amazon Studios has signed a reported $250m rights contract with the author’s estate, publisher HarperCollins and New Line Cinema to produce this TV series. Production was to begin within two years from the day the contract was signed. The studios will allocate a reported $1bn budget for the show – the biggest in television history, nme.com reports. As of this writing, five seasons are tentatively planned.

The official production budget for Star Wars: the Force awakens is $245 million (no official one for Star Wars: the last Jedi). There is no official production budget available for The Hobbit trilogy of films afaik.

Last edited:
Level 2
I have read that before Duncan Jones signed to direct the film, the original script was very Humans sided. A second film could have focused on another faction, i.e. the Orcs. Had this happened, it would then have been a daring (and somewhat risky for the second film) attempt at recreating the way the story of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans unfolds from a gamer's point of view.
I agree. Overall I'm quite happy. I really like the focus on Durotan tho. Despite the fears of a total CGI character not being able to connect with audience he surprised everyone with the performance and kinda carried the movie.
I believe that ultimately the film broke even, and maybe was a little bit profitable.

The (very) rough formula is:
$433,677,183 - ($160,000,000 x 2)
note: advertising costs unknown

Also, do not forget the additional benefits over the years with pay per view or broadcasting rights, for example. Therefore, it *will* be profitable in the long run.

I would say further films are generally a bit less profitable anyway. But it is difficult to generalize here.

Still nothing is for certain, I would say the tastes of Cinema audience is shifting towards more Fantasy action and with the Chinese Market growing. The potential for a sequel is not fully lost tho it gets less likely as more time passes.

I want Warcraft: the (Black)rock Opera on Broadway.

LOL
There is no official script written yet afaik but according to TheOneRing.net, the opening season of the show is going to be focused on a young Aragorn, nme.com says.

I would personally go for such ludicrous titles as Aragorn: a LOTR story, or for LOTR: the lone Ranger.
:grin:

It could be possible and likely so they can use Aragon to market on Nostalgia. I thought they are gonna do different stories connected to each other rather than one big story.

In November 2017, Amazon Studios has signed a reported $250m rights contract with the author’s estate, publisher HarperCollins and New Line Cinema to produce this TV series. Production was to begin within two years from the day the contract was signed. The studios will allocate a reported $1bn budget for the show – the biggest in television history, nme.com reports. As of this writing, five seasons are tentatively planned.

The official production budget for Star Wars: the Force awakens is $245 million (no official one for Star Wars: the last Jedi). There is no official production budget available for The Hobbit trilogy of films afaik.

Yea Amazon is going Crazy. It's quite unusual for this much money to be placed into a TV series, however success of GOT has got companies more interested in more big budget small Screen TV series. Tolkien's stories tho are proven many times to be extremely profitable even when done not as the best they could (Hobbit Trilogy) So Amazon is going ham. $250 million for the rights is massive tho.

Level 14
I mean; the film needed 450 million in the box office to break even, and its total worldwide gross was essentially 434 million.
China really saved this movie from being a bigger flop, which pains me to say. For some reason US cinemagoers are just... lazy when it comes to trying to start a new film franchise.
Mortal Engines had the same problem but far worse, as its losses were in the hundreds of millions.

Status
Not open for further replies.