• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 4 may be on the move

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blizzard just posted a job opportunity on an unannounced project, which appears to have something to do with the warcraft universe:

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=14000O2

The job asks for a warcraft style artistic skills. Since Sc2 team has finally finished starcraft 2 triology, It wouldn't surprise me that they are moving into another RTS.

There's also something clinging in there and it's the fact they ask for 3ds max experience. Only 2 teams in blizzard use 3ds max, RTS Team and MMORPG Team. Diablo uses Maya and if Overwatch uses the same tools as Titan then theyuse Maya as well.

Level 24

I read: "We are looking for a skilled 2d and 3d artist with good experience in graphics in games to make the WarCraft style designs."
noone said WC4 and until Blizzard states that, I am not quite sure that this is WC4.

I rather think that this is a new series with story and environment similar to WC and WoW.

Level 19
I once read somewhere that they may make wc4 around 2020 which sort of matches up.

There's also something clinging in there and it's the fact they ask for 3ds max experience. Only 2 teams in blizzard use 3ds max, RTS Team and MMORPG Team. Diablo uses Maya and if Overwatch uses the same tools as Titan then theyuse Maya as well.

Im curious, are there any specific reasons they do that instead of using just one?

I once read somewhere that they may make wc4 around 2020 which sort of matches up.

Im curious, are there any specific reasons they do that instead of using just one?

It has to do with a lot of factors, more on legacy software.

Originaly by 2000 blizzard had 2 teams. The RTS Team working on wc3 and the diablo team (blizzard north). The RTS team worked on 3ds max and built their tools on it (wc3 art tools). That team splitted into the Sc2 team and the WoW team, but kept common technology (that's why WoW's model format ressembles Wc3's mdx and Sc2's m3). On 2005 the diablo team had a massive employee quit and blizzard north was unified to main blizzard. They started Diablo 3 from scratch and created a team with new meat. These guys decided to favor maya and make their own tools that would suit better for their new core. That's why diablo 3 took so long.

Now, why I believe it's not WoW or Hearthstone project. If you look into it, they are hiring for an unannounced project. If it would be for WoW they would post the job on WoW section, same reasoning for hearthstone.

Level 9
It has to do with a lot of factors, more on legacy software.

Originaly by 2000 blizzard had 2 teams. The RTS Team working on wc3 and the diablo team (blizzard north). The RTS team worked on 3ds max and built their tools on it (wc3 art tools). That team splitted into the Sc2 team and the WoW team, but kept common technology (that's why WoW's model format ressembles Wc3's mdx and Sc2's m3). On 2005 the diablo team had a massive employee quit and blizzard north was unified to main blizzard. They started Diablo 3 from scratch and created a team with new meat. These guys decided to favor maya and make their own tools that would suit better for their new core. That's why diablo 3 took so long.

Now, why I believe it's not WoW or Hearthstone project. If you look into it, they are hiring for an unannounced project. If it would be for WoW they would post the job on WoW section, same reasoning for hearthstone.

WoW is the product of Blizzard that give them a most of their money.
People still have a huge interess of WoW, but it has become old now ... they probably will start the work on the WoW 2 now, so after 4-5 years it will be ready for the growing up childs that now play high quality games like gta5 ... they also has writen that are lookin people who know warcraft style and ready to putt in on the new level ... dont think it will be warcraft4, why should they release wc3 hd models for galaxy editor ?(

hope you understand my english...

Level 30
It could be that Blizzard is creating a mini-game based off the Warcraft theme (for phone Apps I suppose), it could be for the 3D Trailers they make, an artwork representations, or to what some of us may expect, building a new Warcraft RTS. Who knows until we really get to see the final product on what they do.

Whatever it is, they want us. It's an RTS. They want medieval style artists, like myself. They want people capable of working above the style and quality of WC3. They already have people to work on Starcraft.

There's not that many alternate explanations, they're doing something involving swords and sorcery, and I doubt it's a new franchise, or anything to do with Diablo.

Level 9
I cherish the thought of a sequel for Warcraft, but I believe even 2020 might be too soon after StarCraft II. They'll probably want to milk it further for a couple of years. Well, who knows? I hope it's Warcraft IV.

We must keep in mind that Warcraft Movie is coming out, and if it will be epic there will be new wave of interess to the World of Azeroth, so I think they are preparing the new World of Warcraft sequel to put out after the movie the new generation of WoW, if it will be, it will be something that never happened before ... Blizzard is someone who doing the history in the game dev ....

You forgot that the RTS team just finished Starcraft. So either they all go to HotS or they start working on a new title.

Did they really finish Starcraft for now? I haven't really followed sc2 since the beta, so I'm clueless on the matter.

I'd certainly like for wc4 to be started. It is Blizzard's half-life 3. Even if it is unlikely, we can never stop hoping. :)

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
HD visual means nothing without improved gameplay. Currently, the gameplay is way too fast for human. It's hard to control every single unit since they have different abilities each, auto-cast would help this problem. Maximum selection of 12 units is sucks as well. Something feels dull in the gameplay, but I still can't find what is it exactly. I just feel the concept is heaven great, much greater than AoE series. But the execution isn't at maximum yet. Just my thought after playing some melee maps so far.

HD visual means nothing without improved gameplay. Currently, the gameplay is way too fast for human. It's hard to control every single unit since they have different abilities each, auto-cast would help this problem. Maximum selection of 12 units is sucks as well. Something feels dull in the gameplay, but I still can't find what is it exactly. I just feel the concept is heaven great, much greater than AoE series. But the execution isn't at maximum yet. Just my thought after playing some melee maps so far.

Yeah, they need to improve the gameplay and get rid of the annoying 12 Max selection.

Level 28
I will still not be surprised if there will be warcraft iv in the future because im pretty sure it will not support mods (specifically the importing of custom materials in world editor) unlike warcraft iii.

if they are clever they will go into the direction of unity, source or unreal engines and create an editor/engine that can create games not dependant on the main game and can run on multiple platforms.

Level 1
They are lookin for 3d and 2d desiners who know style of warcraft, i think they are working on warcraft3 HD remake .... they can have some money from it before start their work on warcraft4 ...

I wouldn't mind a remake of WC3 in HD, only if they could somehow integrate all those expansion that could have been for WC3 but instead, went to WoW. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.