• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Improve Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi all, it's been a while.

I came across an idea, one which I though really awesome.

I have seen a number of well made maps, all of which have had most graphical aspects change for the benefit of the player – So that it looks nice, from the terrain to unit mods.

That then got me wondering, what if. We as a community all united to improve all the Warcraft 3 graphics. I'm not talking about replacing tiles to look like Wow or even someone's perception of how it should be (Even though some are really good)

I'm talking about simply replacing all it's original graphics with higher resolutions of them to make the experience more modern and good looking. From terrains, to cliffs, to doodads, to unit/building mods, to spells and even the user interface. It could all be compiled into a Patch and it would be completely done by the community.

So that being said, is there any one with me or is this idea to much hard work (Or a waste of time)?

(Blizzard certainly is not going to be doing it any time soon, even though it could increase their sales of the game)

Level 12
Here is a thread about it. Biggest hope currently are the sc2 assets which will be released to the public soonish.
The question is how to convert them all, whether wc3 can handle them or they need downgrading.

Other improvements on the graphics that don't need thousands of man hours are rather limited. I guess a direct patch on the rendering functions and graphic internals would help a lot but I don't know anybody that insane and knowledgeable to try this.

Level 4
Well in reference to my comment above, this sure is great. There is deffinately no denying it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIkg9Smrlvg

Yet having those graphics with the origional game would certainly be the best. Surely it would be possible to make graphics as good as the for Warcraft 3 or atleast import everything? - http://us.battle.net/arcade/en/blog/17796669

Of course as you stated Ezekiel12, one will need
thousands of man hours
to complete it. Yet if that were to happen would it be worth redoing the graphics completely, let alone whether the graphics would be go enough for it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.