• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 clones

Status
Not open for further replies.
in the 2000s and earlier many RTS games, especially modern/scifi were regarded as c&c clones as c&c being so successful. Did warcraft 3 spawn any clones too? But not every fantasy RTS is a wc3 clone. Anyone find more of these? :)

Example of Warcraft 3 clones: Armies of Exigo, Lords of Everquest, Spellforce (although it has much more emphasis on RPG aspect)

These games are NOT Warcraft 3 clones: Battle for Middle Earth (large scale battles with squads and open terrain), Dragonshard (even if based on RPG universe, it has some odd mechanics which are much more similar to Kohan series), Warlords Battlecry (despite the similar gameplay and the last game coming in 2004, series started before Warcraft 3 and it was virtually unchanged through series), Age of Empires (3, although much of the base gameplay is similar, it focuses on totally different theme and have different mechanics)

More points for more obscure games!

Level 20
Tempted to ask if Dawn of War counts. Three tiers, two resources, base building, heroes... but infantry units come in squads.

Rise of Legends could be considered bastard child of Rise of Nations and Warcraf 3 but it is a stretch.

I am unsure if I would count Spellforce and honestly I only consider Armies of Exigo a clone (never played War of the Rings or Lords of everquest) but even then it is more clone of starcraft and warcraft 2.

Tempted to ask if Dawn of War counts. Three tiers, two resources, base building, heroes... but infantry units come in squads.

Rise of Legends could be considered bastard child of Rise of Nations and Warcraf 3 but it is a stretch.

I am unsure if I would count Spellforce and honestly I only consider Armies of Exigo a clone (never played War of the Rings or Lords of everquest) but even then it is more clone of starcraft and warcraft 2.

Yes, War of the ring is member of this group, forgot to write it. Rise of Legends belongs to bfme group, you can already see than it shares many interface similarities with bfme2.

Yes, War of the ring is member of this group, forgot to write it. Rise of Legends belongs to bfme group, you can already see than it shares many interface similarities with bfme2.

Wrong.
Rise of Legends belong to the Rise of Nations lineage. City building, squad based combat, the library tech trees, unit upgrades, mining and trade route system.

BFME1 and 2 belong to the command and conquer lineage (SAGE engine games). One resource, 'generals' promotion tree. Heck even the cursor icons look the same.

Also war of the ring belons to the Battle Realms lineage, with its good/bad karma sytems and resource mechanics. Even the graphics look alike.

Age of Empires 2 / Warcraft 3 master clone coming through!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhvvnxBg37Y

>that pseudo fantasy world
>dem shitty items
>dem shitty even shittier heroes
>dat awful pathfinding
>dem slow ass catapult boulders who you avoid by moving away

Only because it comes from your country doesn't mean it fits here. That game was produced before wc3 btw.

Level 12
I can't remember the name of the game, but there was a super-fantasy WC3-like games. It had a race in it that was almost 100% like Night Elves background-wise, and partly gameplay-wise. They used Wisp-Like workers to harvest Gold, Iron, and Wood. They had archers and stuff as their basic units. But they had Blight/Creep-like requirements which was interesting.

There was a demon race that feels heavily inspired by the Burning Legion, I think...

I played this game for a couple days and didn't really get bored of it but I didn't play it much more after that. It was actually very interesting and fun to play.

It was like somebody was a Blizzard fan, played StarCraft and loved it because of it's Gameplay but not really it's story, and played WC3 and loved it for it's story but not for it's gameplay, and decided to try and take the best elements of both and combine them together, but it ended up being a B- game at best.

I can't remember the name of the game, but there was a super-fantasy WC3-like games. It had a race in it that was almost 100% like Night Elves background-wise, and partly gameplay-wise. They used Wisp-Like workers to harvest Gold, Iron, and Wood. They had archers and stuff as their basic units. But they had Blight/Creep-like requirements which was interesting.

Heroes of Anihilated empires? Only this comes on my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.