• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Scenario playing on B.Net?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
So few people play custom maps anymore that you can only play maps which need 4 players at most. For example it is impossible to get a full house for "SWAT Aftermath".

So why do the LTA maps fill so surprisingly quickly? That map is 11 players. Why is it that when I host uther party, protect the house, or stay alive, with that bot it gets to full house in usually four minutes? Why is it that I have no trouble finding insta-start games? The new maps Masin RPG and Roguelike are basically surprise juggernauts. SWAT Aftermath had it's turn already. Map popularity comes and goes.

To me, there is an acceptable amount of players and variations of games up to have just as much fun as five years ago when I've started. Not to mention the quality of maps getting higher, I'm still experiencing my favorite game to the fullest. I'm tired of people stating Battle.net is dead that haven't played it enough recently. Of course it isn't as active, but the player to games hosted ratio is perfectly okay.

Oh, I just realized I went against the legendary DSG. Time to hope for the best :)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I want to play new different maps, not "uther party, protect the house" which I played about a decade ago. When I host a map it is impossible to get any players even if I refresh slots like in the "good old days". People complained about SC2 have a ghost Arcade but if anything WC3 has taken that title.

SC2 has no problem filling up new and different arcade maps as you can filter for active lobbies only (>0 players). WC3 has most lobbies in the list with 0 players. Who on earth are people even hosting games that people do not play. If I wanted to play the map I would host it myself.

Level 32
DSG said:
I want to play new different maps, not "uther party, protect the house" which I played about a decade ago. When I host a map it is impossible to get any players even if I refresh slots like in the "good old days". People complained about SC2 have a ghost Arcade but if anything WC3 has taken that title.
Then play different maps. You just have to know the right methods of searching in 2015 to get a quick play.

Yeah, well, I regularly host pending maps and I usually get people willing to play new games in around ten minutes. Yes, patience is required as sometimes you'll wait 15+ depending on the amount of slots and dare I say name of the title, but that's fine to me. It's not so few people that play, it's definitely enough.

DSG said:
SC2 has no problem filling up new and different arcade maps as you can filter for active lobbies only (>0 players). WC3 has most lobbies in the list with 0 players. Who on earth are people even hosting games that people do not play. If I wanted to play the map I would host it myself.
Again, you can use external sites to see the amount of players in a lobby. Autohost bots are still common but they aren't a pain to the majority anymore. Five years back, the complaining about the bots would not stop. Nowadays, the community seems settled because of the services hosting preferable maps and host-it-yourself sites being popular.

Most lobbies aren't even zero either. Count the list, it easily seems like less than a tenth to me. Not to mention that the autohost games that start reset to zero.

I don't care if people complain about SC2 and if you're right or not about it. I'm here to prove to you that Battle.net is doing just fine and bashing it gives the thread starter the wrong impression.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Most lobbies aren't even zero either. Count the list, it easily seems like less than a tenth to me. Not to mention that the autohost games that start reset to zero.
They start when there are only a few people in the lobby. 12 player maps set to start at <6 people is kind of stupid.

The reality is there should not be any robots. They used to seem like a good idea but dumb people hijacked it and ruined them for everyone by using them as advertisement billboards or to inflate their egos. I now strongly support having all robots banned from BattleNet.

How do I login to my already existing B.NET account?
You need a WC3 account on a certain region. BattleNet 1.0 does not link to your 2.0 account. Additionally if you have not logged on in a long time it might automatically remove your account (you need to re-create it).

Level 32
DSG said:
They start when there are only a few people in the lobby. 12 player maps set to start at <6 people is kind of stupid.
If the game plays just as well or almost as well as full house for 12 player maps, than that shouldn't be an issue. Plus, sometimes a change of pace occurs when that happens and that adds onto some variety many players value.

Maps that require 12 players 90% of the time will wait for 12 players 90% of the time from my experience. Azeroth Wars LR is the only autohosted ENT bot that requires 12 players and the activity on that one is decent. Other maps that require ten or more people are user hosted via MMH or ENT fill up rather quickly to the set target of players the map was intended to play on.

DSG said:
The reality is there should not be any robots. They used to seem like a good idea but dumb people hijacked it and ruined them for everyone by using them as advertisement billboards or to inflate their egos. I now strongly support having all robots banned from BattleNet.

http://makemehost.com/games.php
Makemehost-# and Ent.Hosting# are user hosted while the others are mostly auto-hosted. They both do well, but user hosted ones tend to do better on average. So you're right, auto-hosted bots are less effective but they get the job done. Should they be get rid of entirely? In my opinion, I give it a hell no. I prefer to get rid of the ones that never fill, but those are usually owned by single users, not a community. It helps build a community in the targeted game, I don't want my [ENT] Risk Devolution and [ENT] Azeroth Wars to go down as I know many who play on that specific bot regularly, usually seeing someone I know in that lobby less once a month.

TL;DR
Auto-bots are not more beneficial than detrimental, but they're aren't evil. Battle.net is still strong if you give it a chance and use the right methods. 12 player lobbies will fill.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Except most people do not need a robot to host. Robots were good for features like lower latency but currently having slightly worse latency is well worth it for not having a list of empty games nobody plays.

I do not need a robot to host for me, I can host myself perfectly fine, like I have been able to for over a decade. Shows you what a little NAT knowledge does.

Level 32
DSG said:
Except most people do not need a robot to host. Robots were good for features like lower latency but currently having slightly worse latency is well worth it for not having a list of empty games nobody plays.

I do not need a robot to host for me, I can host myself perfectly fine, like I have been able to for over a decade. Shows you what a little NAT knowledge does.
Indeed most people do not need a robot. However, having a free host bot service to host what you want, have the commands to use to your benefits, and for it to host across multiple servers instead of one is easily better than hosting without one. They simply fill faster and allow better control. When I host on my own (forwarded my ports ofc), I get so little people joining because it's not on a looked at enough list and it's only on one server. I host the same game on a bot, I get better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.