• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Maps with the tankiest heroes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
What map has your favorite tanks.
I'm talking about these high armor, high HP unstoppable beasts with huge regen that take a half-hour of sustained fire to take down.

Like Goku from VideoGameRPG, with his broken % missing health regen per second.
I'm looking for a map like this

I'm not talking about games where heroes are broken in general (like tome maps), just where tanks are actually absurdly tanky

Level 3
I'd like to see a relatively balanced map where tank itemization is very powerful, like with % HP regen per second items and multipliers and whatnot

Level 21
There was a time in DotA where Heart of Tarrasque + Bloodstone and other reg/armor items made the hero extremely hard to kill. For example with Dragon Knight http://www.playdota.com/heroes/dragon-knight, who comes with a passive ability for more hp reg and armor.

Basically i always consider it to be a fun tinkering, when coming up with certain hero+item combinations.

Sadly most maps do not cater well towards that, since it often boils down to following the most efficient build order, or remaining as close as possible to it.

Level 12
Pudge is far more worser than Dragon knight. Well basically if you got enough kills on pudge, you sometimes get 3000+ health because of its passive ability which grants permanent strength whenever an enemy hero dies nearby.

Now then 3000 HP + x2 Heart of Tarrasque = possible 5000+ HP and added the bonus strength from two Tarassque, you're HP regeneration would be godlike.. The downside is Pudge's armor is low but I wouldn't mind if my HP is 5000+.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
And to think Muradin with Avatar in Heroes of the Storm can have well over 7,000 health.

A lot of WC3 maps have impossible tanks, especially ones with tomes. Tomes increase damage linearly yet armor and health increase toughness by multiplying each other. As such maps with tomes usually lead towards un-killable tanks.

Level 37
I don't have anymore pictures but in this game http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/chosen-ones-1-0-a-83535/ you can have 25k health, a lot of armor (not much over 100 coz' of balance), Basic Attack damage over 10k and spells can even do more than 100,000 damage. Also Health Regen can go to thousands if you build your Hero in that way. The very last boss(optional boss) have 20 million hit points.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I don't have anymore pictures but in this game The Chosen Ones 1.0 you can have 25k health, a lot of armor (not much over 100 coz' of balance), Basic Attack damage over 10k and spells can even do more than 100,000 damage. Also Health Regen can go to thousands if you build your Hero in that way. The very last boss(optional boss) have 20 million hit points.
Curse of Time Plains of Madeia 2. There your hero can health in the millions and damage in the billions.

Level 3
Exactly.
In games nowadays, you see armor penetration and % health damage all over the place, with tanks feeling relatively weak because their main focus (survivability) is so easily overcome.

This kind of thing has left me wishing I could play as a character who's not necessarily unkillable, but you'd have to have a lot of sustained damage to outpace their regeneration on top of their health and resistances.
Most importantly, they don't do a billion damage

So maybe I just want to play as a raid boss?
lol.

Maybe I should make my own map. I want a game where tanky heroes can be super powerful, but still balanced.

Level 7
Tanking is generally bad for gameplay because of the "unkillable" problem. A game is very boring if you cannot die or kill your opponents. This is why characters usually do more damage than they can take in sustained circumstances from other characters.

kinda like diablo 3 with your character having like 200k life and monsters going up to 1billion haha

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
kinda like diablo 3 with your character having like 200k life and monsters going up to 1billion haha
That has changed a lot recently. Characters have 500k-1.2M life now and can take a few hits from monsters at reasonable difficulties.

The problem with tanking is also why towers suck so bad in StarCraft II. Yes they are effective at stopping mutalisks, some small raids or supporting repelling an army but alone they will die very easily even to something they supposedly counter. The same applies to WC3 towers which also kind of suck mid to late game as stuff starts to deal heavy siege damage.

The last game I know with proper strong towers was Empires Dawn of the Modern World where you could use them to repel attackers, but only as certain nations. Notable other games are Empire Earth where elaborate tower walls were a viable defence strategy and Age of Empires 2 where we all remember how annoying Cannon Towers were, especially of a certain long range civilization.

Level 12
Developers in these kind of games should implement a defense-type mechanism, or better yet make the towers stronger equivalent to the level of the Hero(Player). If they implement this in DOTA-like maps, it could be more fun and be a better team-oriented kind of games.

The problem with towers is just numbers. People tend to build a single missile turrent and believe that this will stop muta attacks. It doesn't. It's a matter of investment. What is a missile turrent? Like 100 minerals? Compare that to a muta.

Towers are strong in SC2, especially missile turrents. The crux with them is not their tankyness, it is that they take way too much space, so that you can not build more than one or two to defend a mineral line.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Developers in these kind of games should implement a defense-type mechanism, or better yet make the towers stronger equivalent to the level of the Hero(Player). If they implement this in DOTA-like maps, it could be more fun and be a better team-oriented kind of games.
It just pointlessly drags the game out longer as it can stop session progression and potentially cause a stale mate. This is why in Heroes of the Storm the towers do not really become that much stronger, if not they become weaker.

Level 12
It just pointlessly drags the game out longer as it can stop session progression and potentially cause a stale mate. This is why in Heroes of the Storm the towers do not really become that much stronger, if not they become weaker.

My point is that the strength of the tower is equivalent to the Hero but a Hero is stronger in all aspects giving account to items and bonuses which towers don't have.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
My point is that the strength of the tower is equivalent to the Hero but a Hero is stronger in all aspects giving account to items and bonuses which towers don't have.
In HotS late game the towers crumple like a house of cards to any hero. The defences are only there to allow for early and middle game meta.

Ultimately they do not want the matches to turn into turtle fests where both sides are afraid of attacking due to the tough defences.

Level 12
In HotS late game the towers crumple like a house of cards to any hero. The defences are only there to allow for early and middle game meta.

Ultimately they do not want the matches to turn into turtle fests where both sides are afraid of attacking due to the tough defences.

Then just make the towers' damage equivalent to the level of the hero... Like I said a Hero is far more stronger because they have bonuses and items even if the attack damage of the tower is equivalent to those of the hero's level.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Then just make the towers' damage equivalent to the level of the hero... Like I said a Hero is far more stronger because they have bonuses and items even if the attack damage of the tower is equivalent to those of the hero's level.
In HotS they automatically level up to some extent based on time until they peek at 8 or 15 minutes, although that was nerfed since alpha so they are easier to kill so matches end faster. Also there are no items in HotS and levels are team wide so that area of scaling does not exist.

From a gameplay perspective it is important that the defences die at certain stages of match progression, possibly even to minion waves. This is to encourage constant progression towards the end of the match and avoid stalemate situations.

Level 12
In HotS they automatically level up to some extent based on time until they peek at 8 or 15 minutes, although that was nerfed since alpha so they are easier to kill so matches end faster. Also there are no items in HotS and levels are team wide so that area of scaling does not exist.

From a gameplay perspective it is important that the defences die at certain stages of match progression, possibly even to minion waves. This is to encourage constant progression towards the end of the match and avoid stalemate situations.

Which makes the game boring and dull.

Status
Not open for further replies.