• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Let's test the common units we usually ignored and some skills we never considered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
This thread is extension from this conversation
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2697012-post155.html

I was testing some stuff regarding it and got some interesting results.
Resistant Skin for Doom Guard, Mountain Giant and Naga Royal Guard is indeed used to prevent possession at first place (and as side effect, several others spells).
In War craft III Reign of chaos, there is Felwood map, plaguelands where on center of map you have several Doom Guards, Infernals and Fel Beasts.
I was Undead and could actually possess Doom Guards with Banshee! Even he is level 8.
In Frozen Throne, he got Resistant Skin, so cannot be possessed any more.
Then I began to suspect something. I set on test map for Orc Tauren level 8. And I could posses it as well. Also, same as with Doom Guard, Fel Beast and Infernal, Tauren's level is not displayed. Even if I put him on map as neutral hostile.
So I got idea. I went to Doom Guard, removed his Resistant Skin and changed his race from Demon to Creep.
I started map, and Doom Guard had displayed Level! And I could not posses him. it wrote ,,That creature is too powerful", like for everything else above level 5.
So, results of testing was that Charm and Posession works only for creeps, as it is displayed. But not for Neutral Hostile, just for units whose have under race set Creep. Doom Guards (aside with Fel beasts and Infernals) have Demon race selected. That caused it to ignore Level and not displaying it at all. This is now mystery which I wonder why those are not having their levels displayed when selected.
So, in Frozen Throne they gave Resistant Skin to Doom Guard, Mountain Guant and naga Royal Guard for that reason, otherwice they could be charmed/possesed as well since they are under other race aside from creep, level is ignored.
But I wonder why Blizzard used Demon race instead of Creep. All other stuff in Outland use Creep. Blizzard could just change race in Frozen Throne, its still mystery why such units are left with demon race. What purpose that race is for....

Demon is a cancelled fifth race, you can find it in a few triggers as well.

As evidenced here:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-06-21 at 02.13.37.png
    Screen shot 2015-06-21 at 02.13.37.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 594
Level 21
Actually the demon race wasn't fifth. It was one of the intended races(instead of undead or NE, iirc). Later they got demoted to mere creeps and antagonists instead of being a main race.

On a separate note, I've noticed that creep units cast (some) abilities more when they are on low health. One example of this is the many variations of storm bolt. I discovered this when I was kiting some high-health creep with a low level mage in my map. I wasn't able to get past some point, because it just kept bolting me whenever it could.
This also seems to apply to singletarget abilities like death coil, holy light, slow and such, but not area abilities like shockwave and flame strike. Those still require multiple enemies to be nearby.

Level 12
They are use some of their abilities more when "your" health is low.Most obvious example I can remember is necromancer uses cripple ability when you are trying to escape from it with low health.

Level 21
@MasterHaosis
Can't believe you actually named it like that...
Simplest answer it is hard coded that levels matter only for creep races.

About Demons being 5th race. Actually they were 3rd announced race and there were 6 planed races and then dropped to 5 and then to 4 we know. Night Elves were announced as last race and 6th was never revealed.

As for spellcasting behavior this could serve nicely.

Level 34
VeljkoM, haha when you are under Shadow Fury's influence you do many unexpected things....

On more serious note, Footman16, VeljkoM, yeah I got that Demons should be 5 race and got scrapped, but I do not get why Infernals, Fel Beasts and Doom Guards are still categorized under those. Does that Demon unused race have any specific effect, or its just unused? And why Blizzard did not just change those from Demons to Creeps?

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I believe Naga Royal Guards are marked as level 6 or 7. Doom Guards are level 8. The maximum level for possession is 5. Resistant Skin does prevent it though, as well as other things like devour. It also reduces the duration of some negative effects.

If you're wondering about level display, I believe there's a field somewhere in the unit editor called Display as Neutral Hostile. I never tested it, but I think that's it.

Level 21
Actually I just remembered something. Weren't demonic units set as "undead" in RoC? Because I remember healing Fel Hounds with Death Coil.

As for race tags I am unsure if those mater in Wc3 for anything except worker building and one RoC ability from Mal Ganis that targets specific race. Undeath categorization is independent of race.

Level 34
OR Maybe Making people like you curious about it?
And whats wrong with it?
Point of this thread is to reveal such things

If you're wondering about level display, I believe there's a field somewhere in the unit editor called Display as Neutral Hostile. I never tested it, but I think that's it.

No, I just checked. Doom Guard has it by default.
I also put on Tauren ,,Display as neutral Hostile" and put under neutral, and nothing happened in game.
Creep race displays it. Those few are under Demon race.

Yes, just testedd. You can heal fel stalkers an doom guards with death coil. Their race is demon.
Yes, I knew it for long time. Fel Stalkers, Infernals and Doom guards can be healed with death coil.
But that confuses me. In Frozen Throne they updated Doom Guards and Infernals with Resistant skin. But rhey left them as demons, not as creeps.
Any new Demon, including Eredars and such in Outland have creep race. Those sucubuss can heal only those three with death coil.
But what is weird. Fel Stalked is demon, Fel beast is creep in WE.
And demons do not have level displayed, while creeps do have. Blizzard could fix that.

Yes, I knew it for long time. Fel Stalkers, Infernals and Doom guards can be healed with death coil.
But that confuses me. In Frozen Throne they updated Doom Guards and Infernals with Resistant skin. But rhey left them as demons, not as creeps.
Any new Demon, including Eredars and such in Outland have creep race. Those sucubuss can heal only those three with death coil.
But what is weird. Fel Stalked is demon, Fel beast is creep in WE.
And demons do not have level displayed, while creeps do have. Blizzard could fix that.

Blizzard didn't change a lot of things from RoC to TFT in melee despite them changing it for the campaigns. For example in TFT all ogres now have one head (except the magi of course). Yet they didn't change it for the melee map ogres.

Level 25
Moving the post here as MasterHaosis wanted it.
@LordDz and Daffa

Ok try casting polymorph at any creep above level 5. Charm and Possession also. And also compare the time duration of buffs on creeps bellow level 5 and above level 5. You will see that any neutral unit from level 6 to 10 will have Hero Reduction despite lacking Resistant Skin or you will prove me wrong.
Both Possession, polymorph and the Charm ability has a data tab for "Unit level" to make sure you can't get a way too overpowered unit in melee games for a simple spell.
http://classic.battle.net/war3/undead/units/banshee.shtml
http://classic.battle.net/war3/neutral/darkranger.shtml
http://classic.battle.net/war3/human/units/sorceress.shtml

You can edit this data level in the object editor if you want to polymorph, possess or charm higher level units.
So the unit levels doesn't have anything to do with those spells, you can see this on the hex ability which has the max level of 99.
I know that AI creeps with a higher level do possess some more intelligence in targeting weak units and heroes.

Units with >5 level or having resistant skin use the hero duration of spells.
However, units with resistant skin are being treated as heroes when targeting them with spells, units with > 5 level is not. I tested this by setting the Hex ability to not work on heroes. It worked on the >lvl 5 but not on the resistant skin unit.

Level 34
LordDz, haha, not because I wanted, but for some people/moderators comming and write that we went off topic. Personally I do not care for what about we are talking in my threads sicne it is connected and related in any way, but I was forced more or less to create this thread, not much because I wanted to.
Both Possession, polymorph and the Charm ability has a data tab for "Unit level" to make sure you can't get a way too
Yeah, but for creeps, not regular units. They can be any level

Very interesting find here.

As for Demon being set as a unit's race against Undead.

I gave a Paladin a modified Death Pact to work on enemy units and put him in a map with four Abominations: one with Undead Race; Undead Classification
one with Demon Race; Undead Classification
one with Undead Race; No Classification
one with Demon Race; No Classification

Holy Light - Worked on all but the Undead Race with No Classification

Death Pact - Worked on the two with Undead Classification.

Level 11
I'm betting the 6th Race was Naga. Then they decided it would be better (and more money making) to do as a playable race in an expansion. The scope of Warcraft III lore/story was probably larger than they anticipated and then they decided to break it into two parts, similar to how SCII is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.