• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Information about non-Blizzard WC3 ladder maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello Hive Workshop,

My name is Mrwhite and I am working together with a bunch of other Warcraft 3 enthusiasts on a WC3 Liquipedia. Since many newer players and even veterans are returning to have fun with the game. We want to create a database, that can provide knowledge about our beloved game.

Since most of the players, that want to play melee games at a reasonable ping has to look at platforms such as Netease and w3arena.net - a newer mappool has been introduced and many of these maps are made by map creators.

I am currently working on the competitive mappool on W3arena.net and since I am not quite familiar with the World Editor tool - I have some questions.

I want to credit the original map creators on the Liquipedia, but I have a hard time finding the names of hardworking creators. I see, that on epicwar.com some of the map editors have credited, but not for all maps. Can I trust these sources?

One of the maps, I have a hard time finding a map creator is for example: (2) Last Refuge.

Is there any melee map creators in here that can help me identify some of the map creators for the W3arena.net mappool or is there a way with the World Editor to discover the original creators of the maps?

Thank you for reading,

Best regards
Mrwhite (@d4rkwc3)

Level 32
Basically, what's put as the author on EpicWar is what's put as the author when writing it in the World Editor. It's coded that way. So, unless it's protected / locked (and even if the map was locked, there are ways to deprotect it), anyone can open the map in the editor and change the author. But almost no one would do that anyway since there is little incentive for people to "steal" melee maps.

In short, you can mostly trust the epicwar just for melee maps. If you see multiple names, just go find the oldest upload as that ought to be the original author.

https://www.epicwar.com/maps/214245/

Also, I'm interested in the group you're in ^^
I was the one who followed you on twitter using Hive's account since it seems like you have some nice connections with other WC3 communities that I don't since you're more ladder focused. Could ya tell me more about it? I know about Grubby, WC3 reddit, Team Liquid, W3arena, Wtii, and the other basics of the ladder community.

Last edited:
Level 3
Basically, what's put as the author on EpicWar is what's put as the author when writing it in the World Editor. It's coded that way. So, unless it's protected / locked (and even if the map was locked, there are ways to deprotect it), anyone can open the map in the editor and change the author. But almost no one would do that anyway since there is little incentive for people to "steal" melee maps.

In short, you can trust the epicwar maps. If you see multiple names, just go find the oldest upload as that ought to be the original author.

https://www.epicwar.com/maps/214245/

Also, I'm interested in the group you're in ^^
I was the one who followed you on twitter using Hive's account since it seems like you have some nice connections with other WC3 communities that I don't since you're more ladder focused. Could ya tell me more about it? I know about Grubby, WC3 reddit, Team Liquid, W3arena, Wtii, and the other basics of the ladder community.

Hello StoPCampinGn00b,

Thank you for your reply. I am one of the authors for news on w3arena.net, and the team leader for the Danish community in Warcraft 3. Meanwhile I also work and help the Back2Warcraft guys, that are casting competitive tournaments in Europe, China and Korea on twitch.tv

The B2W broke records for viewership this year and there seems to be an influx of players from other games (Starcraft 2 for example), that want to try the game out again.

On the competitive side, Europe has leagues and weekly tournaments running (Gera Cup, yAws 2on2 tournaments, Kalaxa cup) and there is news, that eSpider will host an European Pro League. All of these tournaments are funded by the community. Latest news is that some Europeans are entering tournaments in China too.
In Korea, we have in the past year seen legends return back to the game and started competing again. Names such as Spirit_Moon, LYN, FoCuS, ReMinD have all returned and are participating in tournaments in China.
When talking China, the game is still one of the most viewed and loved.

The game is in a good spot and a lot of melee enthusiasts are looking forward for the balance patch, that would spice the game up. There is still some issues in the game balance wise, although it probably is as close to balanced as possible.

Regards,
d4rkwc3

Hello Adarsh,

Thank you for your reply!

That is very interesting, when I search 'The Hinterlands' - it is exactly the same map picture than from Last Refuge. I think, I might have to check for any changes. On the ladder map Last Refuge, there is some creep spot that tends to bug the creep aggro, so that your units have the potential to be ensnared if rally pointed towards your hero.

None the less, I hope we find a solution. It is pretty bad mannered to credit the wrong original map creator for a melee map on a Liqupedia.

Edit: Opps, the The Hinterlands is probably an earlier version of the map that includes Way Gates and not the green troll, which is seen in the current version 1.3

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.