[Log in / Register]
| News | Chat | Pastebin | Donations | Tutorials | Rules | Forums |
| Maps | Skins | Icons | Models | Spells | Tools | Jass | Packs | Hosted Projects | Starcraft II Modding | Starcraft II Resources | Galaxy Wiki |
(Keeps Hive Alive)
Go Back   The Hive Workshop > Warcraft III > Warcraft Town Hall

Warcraft Town Hall Discuss topics related to Blizzard's Warcraft franchise, including Warcraft I, II and III. Ask questions about anything not covered in other forums.
Want to discuss topics related to World of Warcraft? Go to the World of Warcraft Forum.

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 03:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User Marine
User

Marine has little to show at this moment (6)
Exclamation I can never stick with an idea

Over the years, I've had hundreds of game ideas and I've started them all in the Editor. The longest time I've spent on any particular one was three days.

I feel really passionate about making the map, at first, but then I just don't want to and move on to a new one, repeating and repeating and repeating. I really want to publish a game but I've never finished one.

Does anyone else have this problem, where they are just incapable of finishing a map?
Old 04-08-2012, 03:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User Meticulous
Helper Crab

Meticulous is a jewel in the rough (178)
Probably 90% of people or you'd see a lot more finished projects around Hive.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User Spartipilo
User

Spartipilo is just really nice (406)Spartipilo is just really nice (406)Spartipilo is just really nice (406)Spartipilo is just really nice (406)Spartipilo is just really nice (406)
Go to a psychologist. The game doesn't have the fault of you not being able to finish what you want. Start with small ideas, maybe a TD or simple character battle... Then grow up. I spent three months almost 6 hours/day and then I realized I was working on something to big... I didn't lost that time, I invested it to realize that, though I want to make maps as you do, I don't want to spend my time on it.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User Karzama
Karzama

Karzama has little to show at this moment (13)Karzama has little to show at this moment (13)
I've had that for a while if I'm honest. I've got a load of maps that I haven't finished but I seem to go back to them and add bits. But if I have an idea and I get bored I do start a new map, but then I get bored of that one so I either create a new one or go back to one of my old ones and develop that a bit further. I've now got a few maps on the go, some major some minor. But they'll all get finished in the end. :) (Hopefully.... XD)
Old 04-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User Codric
Writer

Codric has a spectacular aura about (128)Codric has a spectacular aura about (128)Codric has a spectacular aura about (128)Codric has a spectacular aura about (128)
I have made tons of campaign maps and just never seem to stick with em'.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User Arhowk
Pleased to Meet You

Arhowk is just really nice (272)Arhowk is just really nice (272)Arhowk is just really nice (272)Arhowk is just really nice (272)Arhowk is just really nice (272)
i usually make a map, find a way to improve it, make a new map with improvements, etcetc. untill i get a finished product
Old 04-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User Undead0dd
The UNdead user

Undead0dd has little to show at this moment (11)Undead0dd has little to show at this moment (11)
I get this too, i've made over 30 unfinished maps (2/3rd didn't even playtest and lost it)

But for me, to keep making a map, is to try creating something that was difficult for me (in WC3, would be Trigger Enhanced spells.) When I see it work in-game, I'd be proud of myself.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User Jazztastic
Buddy

Jazztastic is just really nice (308)Jazztastic is just really nice (308)
I usually quit halfway through a project. I'll get a stable working base, but then I'll have to go through the monotony of adding heroes, items, spells, units, and making it all balanced, and I just blanche at the idea. The biggest thing you can do it post in the map dev section. I try to make enough work each week to look like I'm actually trying at my map, and I keep the thread updated with changes. Posting a thread in map dev gives you a sense of responsibility to finish the map, otherwise you get a reputation for not finishing (cough cough "one of the best terrainers in wc3")
Old 04-10-2012, 01:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Moderator PurgeandFire
ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ

Resource & Tutorial Moderator

PurgeandFire has a reputation beyond repute (2148)PurgeandFire has a reputation beyond repute (2148)PurgeandFire has a reputation beyond repute (2148)PurgeandFire has a reputation beyond repute (2148)
Merit Badge - Level 0: This user has proven to be extremely valuable to the Warcraft III Modding Community. 
I have the same problem, you just gotta work on the parts that are most interesting to you. Eventually the process will become monotonous and annoying to work with, so just keep doing something new here and there. I find that it is really helpful to make systems for everything, in a separate map. This allows me to just transport it to any map so i don't have to recreate it a bajillion times.

Also, choose something you know you/others will enjoy but isn't too stressful to make. Try not to make a map that is too complicated, because those are the ones that are most difficult to complete. Start out with one of your ideas that is a bit less ambitious, and work from there.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User WaterKnight
User

WaterKnight has much of which to be proud (984)WaterKnight has much of which to be proud (984)WaterKnight has much of which to be proud (984)WaterKnight has much of which to be proud (984)WaterKnight has much of which to be proud (984)
Merit Badge - Level 0: Shadow Dancer: This user has been effectively reporting material that was proved to be useful for the moderating team. 
Make the conceptions beforehand and set yourself precise goals. And force yourself now and then.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User sonofjay
†‡Đằňğ؇†

sonofjay has a brilliant future (1276)sonofjay has a brilliant future (1276)sonofjay has a brilliant future (1276)sonofjay has a brilliant future (1276)
start on a small map with simple triggers, systems, concepts, then as you near to finish it expand the complexity of your systems, concepts etc.
Darkness Call v0.2.02
A 3 Player ORPG
"The best part about me is I am not you."

Old 04-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User andreasaspenberg
User

andreasaspenberg is on a distinguished road (73)andreasaspenberg is on a distinguished road (73)
i get tired of projects after a while myself. i just put them on hold for a while though and work on them again later. it helps me with getting more ideas into production while at the same time enabling me to get a break from the other project. hope it helps.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User Spartipilo
User

Spartipilo is just really nice (406)Spartipilo is just really nice (406)Spartipilo is just really nice (406)Spartipilo is just really nice (406)Spartipilo is just really nice (406)
Work with someone, so both hold each other.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User RiotApe
me like banana..

RiotApe has little to show at this moment (3)
yeah, i feel the exact same way. i love making maps, i make a lot. too many that my friends laugh at me every time i say "i'm making a new map". cause i never finish them.. one of the reasons why, is that when i'm almost finish, only then i find out my map's full of leaks, and it just gets too tiring to find all of them and fix them.. i'm actually working on a new one again. HAHA
Old 04-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User AntoMarc
∀uʇoWɐɹɔ

AntoMarc is on a distinguished road (67)AntoMarc is on a distinguished road (67)
You described me perfectly.. I've started dozens of campaigns over the years and most of them had a great plot/concept imo, but I always quited after a couple of days/weeks. Quite amusing since I'm motivated in almost everything, but I never seem to finish one map because I lack motivation in this field.
Closed Thread