• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Which generation of Death Knights is your favorite?

Which generation of Death Knight is your favorite?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
As the title says, which generation/type of the Death Knights is your favorite? FIrst Generation (Warcraft 2 DK)? Second (Warcraft 3 Lich) or Third Generation (Warcraft 3 DK)?

Mine is First Generation (Second War era) Death Knights. They are badass yet creepy spellcasters, can cast a variety of awesome spells, and their voices are just... cool! I remember casting Unholy Armor on a WC2 Death Knight, then move the Unholy Armored Death Knight towards swarms of AI-controlled enemies and cast Death and Decay on them...

And he's one of the only two Orc units who can heal themselves (in his case, via Death Coil).

What about yours?

EDIT: Here are the pictures of all generations of the Death Knights.

Dkwc2.gif

OrcDeathknight.gif

180px-Death_Knight.png

Lichii.gif

BTNHeroDeathKnight.png

DeathKnightWC3.gif

Last edited:

Vidovit

Banned
Level 3
Maybe add some pictures as well.. not all of us played war1/2/3..

Anyway i know the earlier ones were warlocks which is inferior to the corrupt paladin one, so my vote goes to the war3 one.

Level 11
The WC2 Death Knights were pretty cool but I hated how they, and their undead minions, were so vulnerable the exorcism and polymorph.

My favorite Death Knight is the Second Generation Lich! The graphics, spells, and sounds for the Lich are very cool.

Level 8
second generation arnt liches they are the warcraft 3 death knights. 3rd generation are the death knights you play as in wow. *le sigh* this is simple knowledge fools... *pinches the bridge of his nose* imbeciles...

Not sure if youre an obvious troll, or a serious person.

Third generation death knights are DA BEST! Because they are corrupted paladins, which is more of a death knight than some spellcasters. Btw war2 graphics look like shit.

Level 31
Not sure if youre an obvious troll, or a serious person.

Third generation death knights are DA BEST! Because they are corrupted paladins, which is more of a death knight than some spellcasters. Btw war2 graphics look like shit.

are u stupid? im not a troll what i said was 100% true idiot. liches arn't even death knights at all they're their own class. why the fuck would a lich be a death knight? have you ever heard of a lich being called a death knight? they are two totally different classes. would you call kel'thuzad a death knight???? arthas is a death knight, not kel'thuzad. some first-gen death knights became liches after the horde lost, but that is FIRST GEN, not SECOND GEN.

Teron Gorefiend is a 1st gen dk, Arthas/Baron Rivendare is a second generation DK, and people like Darion Mograine and the playable DKS are 3rd gen dks

its 1st gen - gul'dans death knights, 2nd gen - the death knights of wc3, and 3rd gen - the death knights of acherus

you can see it right here: http://wow.gamepedia.com/Death_knight#Background

Level 3
i'm pretty shocked to see how people got such simple lore mixed up
what takakenji just said about the 1st 2nd and 3rd generations is right, the 1st gen dks are the 1s of the 2nd war, souls of orcish necrolytes fused with the bodies of fallen stormwind knights, 2nd gen dks are the ones of the 3rd war and were often paladins in life (you can see the contrast between paladin and dk spells in wc3 heroes which is a very fine touch), and 3rd gen dks are the knights of acherus, of the ebon blade, which are player characters in wow

Level 5
takakenji is right, to reiterate:

wc2 dks = first gen
wc3 dks = second gen
playable wow dks = third gen

liches aren't death knights, though some of the first gen DKs were forced to become liches

Liches are former Orc death knights;

"Following Gul'dan's desertion and death, part of the Horde, including the death knights, retreated through the Dark Portal to Draenor. Most of the surviving death knights disappeared after Draenor's destruction, though some of these death knights, along with Ner'zhul's other prominent spell casters, were later captured by the Burning Legion and transformed into liches. These liches were stripped of their free will by the demon lord Kil'jaeden and were reappointed into the service of his new servant, the Lich King, in order to better assist him with his task."

Also, this thread is not talking about World of Warcraft fucked up lore and death knights. This is RTS games.

#takakenji

You are incorrect, Liches are undead former Orc death knights. They aren't a class. They are new reformed death knights for Lich King in second generation. Third generation is where Warcraft 3 takes place, it includes death knights similar from first generation.

Level 5
The very first liches were first generation death knights, yes. But that doesn't mean that liches are death knights.

Kel'thuzad, for example, was a human mage. Liches and death knights are entirely different things. There are several examples of liches who were never orcs or death knights. They didn't create a new generation of death knights when they became liches, they became liches, who are no longer death knights.

If you're ignoring WoW lore then note that third generation death knights are exclusive to WoW. Warcraft 3 DKs like Arthas are second generation.

Level 31
Liches are former Orc death knights;

"Following Gul'dan's desertion and death, part of the Horde, including the death knights, retreated through the Dark Portal to Draenor. Most of the surviving death knights disappeared after Draenor's destruction, though some of these death knights, along with Ner'zhul's other prominent spell casters, were later captured by the Burning Legion and transformed into liches. These liches were stripped of their free will by the demon lord Kil'jaeden and were reappointed into the service of his new servant, the Lich King, in order to better assist him with his task."

Also, this thread is not talking about World of Warcraft fucked up lore and death knights. This is RTS games.

#takakenji

You are incorrect, Liches are undead former Orc death knights. They aren't a class. They are new reformed death knights for Lich King in second generation. Third generation is where Warcraft 3 takes place, it includes death knights similar from first generation.

what you said has nothing to do with anything. just because they turned 1st gen Dks into liches, it doesnt make them 2nd gen dks. it infact, makes them liches, you fuckin idiot. liches and DKs are completely seperate things.

While on Draenor, Ner'zhul commanded a number of orcish warlocks and spellwielding death knights. Yet, when Kil'jaeden and the Legion captured these sorcerers after that world’s destruction, they were transformed into twisted, spectral aberrations of their former selves. These newly born liches possessed tremendous magical powers, yet their immortal, undead bodies were bound to the iron will of Ner'zhul.
many orcish warlocks where turned into liches too, not just DKs, so are warlocks first gen death knights too? no, i don't think so you simple brain. liches are a completely seperate class with no connection to death knights

also, lets just look at the name. they're called death knights because they're mounted warriors of death. every appearance of death knights in warcraft have rode horses, because they are KNIGHTS. where the fuck is the liches horse? how the fuck are they related to knights at all? they are just floating skeletons. the wc2 death knights rode horses, the wc3 death knights rode horses, and the wow dks rose horses. liches have no fucking connection to death knights other than they're undead

the second generation of DKs are the fallen paladins of the silverhand. liches are completely separate from death knights you idiot.

if you don't want to include WoW lore, then there are no 3rd gen dks. 3rd gen dks are from WoW, they are not in the RTS series at all. and frankly you clearly know absolutely nothing of warcraft lore since you think liches are fucking death knights

Level 8
are u stupid? im not a troll what i said was 100% true idiot. liches arn't even death knights at all they're their own class. why the fuck would a lich be a death knight? have you ever heard of a lich being called a death knight? they are two totally different classes. would you call kel'thuzad a death knight???? arthas is a death knight, not kel'thuzad. some first-gen death knights became liches after the horde lost, but that is FIRST GEN, not SECOND GEN.

Teron Gorefiend is a 1st gen dk, Arthas/Baron Rivendare is a second generation DK, and people like Darion Mograine and the playable DKS are 3rd gen dks

its 1st gen - gul'dans death knights, 2nd gen - the death knights of wc3, and 3rd gen - the death knights of acherus

you can see it right here: http://wow.gamepedia.com/Death_knight#Background

Nah, it messed up my head a little. I know liches arent death knights, atleast not right now. Besides, only some of the liches are former death knights, Kel'Thuzad for example, was a human. (Maybe?) Btw, no need to be rude.

Level 5
Well, people tend to be offended when they point out the truth of a mistake and they're laughed off as a troll. Glad you see reason though.

#takakenji
Your attitude is provoking, after all this I still think you are incorrect so you could just calm down yourself, persuading wont do much. Liches are resurrected form of undead, most of them were death knights enslaved by the Burning Legion to work with Lich King.

First generation are Orc Death Knights we see in War2.
Second Generation is after destruction of Draenor and creation of Lich King, Liches were also created from those first generation death knights.
Third generation is result of Undead Scourge killing humans and resurrecting them, Arthas... paladins.

Furthermore, I never said that Liches are death knights. I said that they are FORMER.

Kel'Thuzad was resurrected as such with the power of Sun Well.

I haven't figured it out whether you are trolling or just provoking?

Level 39
Even though takakenji is being extremely rude in his behaviour, he does have a point that Liches are most definately NOT Death Knights. As such they do not count as Second Generation Death Knights.

Though a small fraction of them were made from former Orcish Death Knights, most of them were made from Warlocks and Shamans under Ner'zhul's rule. And then there's Kel'Thuzad who was a human Sorcerer. Would you call him a Third Generation Death Knight? No, he's a Lich.

Just because a few of the Liches were made from former Death Knights doesn't mean that Liches count as a Second Generation of Death Knights.

First Generation Death Knights were made from former Paladins, would you call them Second Generation Paladins?

If there is indeed a Third Generation of Death Knights, they are the ones in Wrath of the Lich King that defect from the Lich King's army.

Last edited:
Level 22
Even though takakenji is being extremely rude in his behaviour, he does have a point that Liches are most definately NOT Death Knights. As such they do not count as Second Generation Death Knights.

Though a small fraction of them were made from former Orcish Death Knights, most of them were made from Warlocks and Shamans under Ner'zhul's rule. And then there's Kel'Thuzad who was a human Sorcerer. Would you call him a Third Generation Death Knight? No, he's a Lich.

Just because a few of the Liches were made by former Death Knights doesn't mean that Liches count as a Second Generation of Death Knights.

First Generation Death Knights were made from former Paladins, would you call them Second Generation Paladins?

If there is indeed a Third Generation of Death Knights, they are the ones in Wrath of the Lich King that defect from the Lich King's army.

You're right, Tauer. I confused myself about the Death Knights.

The only thing you were wrong about was Liches being death knights, they were formerly Death Knights but no longer are. The generations are correct however, do not listen to those who say otherwise.

First generation: Orc death knights formed by Gul'Dan.
Second generation: former death knights turned into Liches and the last remaining ones without horses (Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans")
Third Generation: Similar to the first generation death knights but from different races.

More info can be found in Wiki.

Level 39

It's a fair mistake, I do think takakenji was a bit too extreme in his replies :)

The only thing you were wrong about was Liches being death knights, they were formerly Death Knights but no longer are. The generations are correct however, do not listen to those who say otherwise.

First generation: Orc death knights formed by Gul'Dan.
Second generation: former death knights turned into Liches and the last remaining ones without horses (Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans")
Third Generation: Similar to the first generation death knights but from different races.

More info can be found in Wiki.

But that's wrong. They cannot be Second Generation Death Knights if they are not Death Knights. It makes no sense. Like I said, you wouldn't call Teron Gorefiend a Second Generation Paladin.

Liches and Death Knights are completely seperate beings.

It makes much more sense to call Death Knights of Acherus the Third Generation.

You cite the wiki as a source of information yourself, well on the wiki article for Death Knights the lore is split into 3 parts:

Immortal Soldiers - WC2 Death Knights, aka First Generation.

Champions of the Lich King - WC3 Death Knights, aka Second Generation.

The Ebon Blade - WoTLK Death Knights, aka Third Generation.

Level 21
@A Void
A lich is not a Death Knight. Becoming a lich does not equal becoming a DK, as it's a different kind of entity. The first generation of death knights was partially turned into liches, but that doesn't make them into a new generation of Death Knights. It makes them a new generation of liches, if there ever were any previous ones. Thus, if liches are to be considered death knights at all, they are the first generation.

How is it so hard to understand that a Lich is not the same as a Death Knight. Why do you consider liches death knights even though they clearly are not anymore?

It's a fair mistake, I do think takakenji was a bit too extreme in his replies :)

But that's wrong. They cannot be Second Generation Death Knights if they are not Death Knights. It makes no sense. Like I said, you wouldn't call Teron Gorefiend a Second Generation Paladin.

Liches and Death Knights are completely seperate beings.

It makes much more sense to call Death Knights of Acherus the Third Generation.

If Teron Gorefiend was not taken by Burning Legion and wasn't turned into a Lich then he stayed First Generation death knight. Second generation death knights were after destruction of Draenor and the most remaining ones turned to Liches, Lich is an undead being. Death knight is a class or a warrior type. Anyone can become a death knight.

Liches can be death knights. I don't actually see any conflict here.
Also a knight doesn't exactly mean to have a horse, knight can be horseless too.

Level 39
If Teron Gorefiend was not taken by Burning Legion and wasn't turned into a Lich then he stayed First Generation death knight. Second generation death knights were after destruction of Draenor and the most remaining ones turned to Liches, Lich is an undead being. Death knight is a class or a warrior type. Anyone can become a death knight.

Liches can be death knights. I don't actually see any conflict here.
Also a knight doesn't exactly mean to have a horse, knight can be horseless too.

It has nothing to do with the horse. I said that just because a few Liches used to be Death Knights, doesn't mean that Liches as an entity qualifies as a whole generation of Death Knights.
I used Teron Gorefiend as an example, because going by your logic he would be a Second Generation PALADIN, since he was made from a former Paladin, or Knight whatever. But he isn't. He was transformed into something entirely different, a Death Knight. And as such he no longer qualifies as a Paladin. Or Warlock, if you wanna use his mind as reference.

And Liches cannot be Death Knights. They are Liches. If we are going by your logic then every single unit in the Scourge is a Death Knight.

Being a Death Knight or a Lich is not a profession. They are completely seperate beings.

Level 21
How were they an actual new generation rather than survivors of the previous one? What's the basis for saying that they are a new generation. I disregard the possibility that you mean liches are a new generation of death knights, because they're not death knights anyway.

"These soldiers of darkness were created by Gul’dan to replace the slaughtered Warlock clans. Assembled from the corpses of the Knights of Azeroth slain in the last battles of the First War, these abominations were then instilled with the ethereal essence of the Shadow Council."

Death Knights were soldiers, previously mortals then resurrected as undead. It could be a human, elf or any other race in this matter. They are not beings, rather than undead soldiers named like that due to being resurrected from death. Anyone could be a death knight, as long as it is undead. And Liches are UNDEAD.

No one is limiting a Lich to become a death knight. My point still stands.

Level 39
This is getting stupid.

Liches are not Death Knights. Simple as that. Whether or not you believe they can become Death Knights is irrelevant. Doesn't change the fact that the Liches we see in WC3 are NOT Death Knights. Therefore calling them the Second Generation of Death Knights is wrong. Period.

Going by your logic anything can and should be called Death Knights because they have the potential to become them. Peasants? Nah, they're the Fourth Generation of Death Knights. Banshees? They are undead, so definately Death Knights. Etc.

So, who is a death knight? Supernatural demon of hell? Lol...

Well.. yeah. Kinda. The body might be human or whatever, but there's definately something demonic in there.

I disagree wholeheartedly that Liches can become Death Knights. As I said, being a Death Knight is not a profession. It's a part of who they are. They are transformed beings. The same with Liches. And we've seen nothing that suggests that they're compatible with each other. Not one case of a Death Knight Lich.

Last edited:
Level 8
"These soldiers of darkness were created by Gul’dan to replace the slaughtered Warlock clans. Assembled from the corpses of the Knights of Azeroth slain in the last battles of the First War, these abominations were then instilled with the ethereal essence of the Shadow Council."

Death Knights were soldiers, previously mortals then resurrected as undead. It could be a human, elf or any other race in this matter. They are not beings, rather than undead soldiers named like that due to being resurrected from death. Anyone could be a death knight, as long as it is undead. And Liches are UNDEAD.

No one is limiting a Lich to become a death knight. My point still stands.

Liches are frost and death mages, (or warlocks) while death knights are corrupted versions of paladins. It doesnt matter if the death knight was a former paladin or not, in the end, they are a combination of paladins and necromancers. At the same time, a necromancer or a ghoul cant be a death knight. Necromancer doesnt know how to use swords at all, and ghouls cant even use necromancy.

And this thread is more like ''Are liches death knights?'' now :)

Level 21
1st generation:Gul'dan's Orc death knights
2nd generation:WC3 death knights
3rd generation:WoW death knights

Anyway,i prefer 1st generation since i love necromancers and warlocks

Level 31
lich is a class in itself a lich can't be another class. all liches are frost and shadow scourge magic users. there are no warrior liches, mage liches, paladin liches, warloch liches, etc. a lich is a specific type of undead which has set powers and it can't be other classes. what you're saying makes no sense

Status
Not open for further replies.