• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

3D Printing the Warcraft 3 Knight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Looks pretty neat.

It is sort of unfair comparing them at the same scale. The WoW one is meant to be viewed at least 4 times the size on screen compared with the WC3 one. However I do understand that you have to keep them small and also wanted to compare them side by side.

They look lower poly than in-game due to the loss of normal data (a render trick used to make low poly models look more smooth as if they were higher poly rounded models). Although it is possible to convert normal data into displacement maps (NVidia apparently devised and tested some method to do so) sadly the process it not commonly deployed.

I wonder if some sort of automated process could be made to place the print supports. That could save considerable time preparing the model.

Level 9
Ya, I've heard you bring that displacement thing up before, and I wish I could find something related to that, because I would definitely try it.

You can do automatic support, but you will end up spending all the time you saved with CAD work trying to cut the stuff out of where it shouldn't have been, and it's a service to other people who print it that it be easy to remove.

Status
Not open for further replies.