• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Review Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Hello. A while ago I started a project for fun. I don't know which features people would prefer so I am open for suggestions.

e2f71559f17abe81bcb9cfe2ed3298c7.png

Map Name: Monoliths of Flame
Version: 3.0
Author: Uncle Warcrafter

Terrain

The first impression I got from the terrain was obviously very bad since there was honestly nothing there. No tile variation and barely any units or dooads. However I noticed that this is something that changes as you gather more civilians to return to the village. However that doesn't excuse the lack of tile variation. This applies to every side map as well. Also even if it was clear the the terrain was randomized with triggers you could have done a better job with that, just adding 10x more trees would have been a huge improvement.
2/5

Gameplay

The map was fairly hard to get into, I had no clue of what to do. It instantly said "get back civilians to the village" but not where and how to get them. Same with glpyhs, even the quest log doesn't tell how many of them there are. However I want to point out that you did a few things to improve the gameplay. by speeding up the hero you gain a little more action and lowers the wait time of running between the camps. The prison building is also a very creative idea I fully support, it added a little more variation. I also want to touch a little on the mining system, while it's a somewhat fun system I don't see the use of it, it's basically a way to get money. (at least I didn't get anything else but gems) But there was no neat items to buy for that money. But then again this can prove useful if you play on a harder difficulty.
3/5

Story

There's basically no story. "The village has been wiped out" was basically all there was.
1/5

Uniqueness

I have not seen anything like this before, but then again I don't play a lot of wc3 maps these days.
5/5

Overall

Overall a fairy fun map, have potential for 4/5 if you reworked enough of it. Yet a boring gameplay in the long run since it's basically a farm game.
2/5

Bugs

-Don't make the jailor run to attacked units, you can abuse the fact that he acts like guard by entering combat to make him find you.

Reviewed by:

Chaosy

time to test my tool again, yay :p

Map Name: WoW: The Battleground +AI [1.0]
Version: 1.0
Author: andreariona

Terrain[r]
The terrain was somewhat simple, but yet the models blends together perfectly due the WoW rips being.. well perfect for eachother. Even with that said I think you could use a bit more 'random' decoration objects like small flowers, mushrooms and that type of stuff.
4/5

Gameplay[r]
I think that the gameplay was too simple it was basically run 'n' gun, run around and attack everything that moves. On the good side though, the spells were nice and worked fine with good visuals and detailed tooltips. I also want to point out that you made a wonderful job on the texts in general everything is colored properly etc.

However, the biggest issue about this map is the lack of time you get when you enter the map. If I play the map for the first time I will start playing 2-3 minutes later because the others already knew which class they would pick and what the abilities do and so on. While I had to stay and read every single class before chosing which one I want to play as.
3/5

Story[r]
null
0/5

Uniqueness[r]
While arena maps can't be extremely unique due their limited gameplay mechanics I think that this is the first WoW themed one I've seen.
4/5

Overall[r]
Overall
Overall I think that the map was ok, even while I see that effort has been put into visuals and details I just feel like something is missing from the gameplay. Play it once, fine. Play it twice, and it becomes boring. I strongly suggest something like random events every 2-3 minutes. And maybe a boss somewhere that your team can defeat for good loot / exp. The possibilities are endless..
3.5/5

Bugs[r]
1. I clicked 30 kills to win but the the message I get right after entering the game says 20.
2. it say "has defeat -name-" instead of "has defeated"
3. fire mage's W tooltip says that the spell only damaged enemies, however if you select where to cast it, the caster will get green as well as the enemies.

Reviewed by:
19bd05.gif

Chaosy

Download

Last edited:
Level 19
What I meant is different sections, like you said Spell/Models etc, basically what ever you name it. As for the buttons, I meant to replace them with Tabs, because if you want to add more sections youll have much more limited space than with buttons. Of course, thats if you end up adding "custom sections", otherwise it would be kinda pointless.
Not sure if you get what I mean, honestly I'm not sure how to explain it in english.

EDIT: Here's a WindowsForms example.

Attachments

• Tabs Example.rar
    4.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.