• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Secrets of wc3's past

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
I noticed there are lots of things you can infer about data in wc3 about the way the game used to be.

For example, the raw code for "Tome of Agility" is 'tdex', which suggests the stat may have previously been called dexterity.

There are *many* examples like this. Anyone notice any particularly good ones?

When you browse the MPQs, you will find a lot of different names for creeps and units that got changed throughout the game design process.

There's actually a lot of "old stuff" that simply got removed from the game hidden in the existing JASS natives.

For example, in addition to DAMAGE_TYPE and ATTACK_TYPE for the native that deals damage, there also is WEAPON_TYPE, which does absolutely nothing, as there is only one to use there: WEAPON_TYPE_UNKNOWN.

Also, btw, the DAMAGE_TYPE constants available hint that at some point in the design process, there was actual elemental damage in the game. While DAMAGE_TYPE works and returns event responses on damage events, none of the abilities in the game actually deal elemental damage. The game only destinguishes between physical and non-physical damage (for items like the rune bracers).
So the orb of fire does not actually add fire damage. It just adds attack power. I guess this got changed throughout the design process for simplification of gameplay. My guess is that they initially planned elemental resistances.

I guess this is a relic from before the game constant based armor system as we know it got implemented.

Then, there are some things like MIDI file support, that never actually made its way into WC3. You can use it by enabling local file support and importing a certain dll into the map script.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
When you browse the MPQs, you will find a lot of different names for creeps and units that got changed throughout the game design process.

There's actually a lot of "old stuff" that simply got removed from the game hidden in the existing JASS natives.

For example, in addition to DAMAGE_TYPE and ATTACK_TYPE for the native that deals damage, there also is WEAPON_TYPE, which does absolutely nothing, as there is only one to use there: WEAPON_TYPE_UNKNOWN.

Also, btw, the DAMAGE_TYPE constants available hint that at some point in the design process, there was actual elemental damage in the game. While DAMAGE_TYPE works and returns event responses on damage events, none of the abilities in the game actually deal elemental damage. The game only destinguishes between physical and non-physical damage (for items like the rune bracers).
So the orb of fire does not actually add fire damage. It just adds attack power. I guess this got changed throughout the design process for simplification of gameplay. My guess is that they initially planned elemental resistances.

I guess this is a relic from before the game constant based armor system as we know it got implemented.

Then, there are some things like MIDI file support, that never actually made its way into WC3. You can use it by enabling local file support and importing a certain dll into the map script.

Speaking of the combat system, what's with armor type "normal" and ConvertAttackType(7)?

There is an interesting model under the path:

Doodads\Cinematic\IllidanVictoryCinematic\IllidanVictoryCinematic.mdx

It looks like an incomplete model of Illidan, presumably after some "victory". Perhaps they initially intended Illidan to succeed? Or maybe they planned on making a cinematic at the end of the night elf campaign (after you play as Illidan/Malfurion)? Either way, it is bizarre.

Another thing: in the "ArthasIllidantFight" model, there is a texture named "IllidanDeathShadowA.blp" and there is an animation named "Death Pan". Was Illidan actually killed during the cinematic? I always assumed that he was just injured, even before WoW (no one wants to believe Illidan could die :p). Maybe Burning Crusade was a retcon then.

----
The bandit model has a "Death Fire" animation. It is odd. It looks the same as the death animation. Perhaps it was meant to be used for a cinematic.

Sylvanas is named "Sylvanus" in her human model, texture, portrait, and folder. The audio files all spell it as Sylvanas. Maybe it was a typo. Idk. It is still weird when Blizzard does things like that.

Of course, the classic "JainaOnFootDeath1.wav" also brings up the question of whether she was initially mounted/had a mount.

Last edited:
Level 23
Sylvanas is named "Sylvanus" in her human model, texture, portrait, and folder. The audio files all spell it as Sylvanas. Maybe it was a typo. Idk. It is still weird when Blizzard does things like that.
You know, I could swear blind that all through RoC she was called Sylvanus. But I've not touched RoC since tFT came out so I'm probably havering.

Level 23
AFAIR, There's those renames (Windserpent (Couatl), Warwagon (Steam Tank), Ent (Treant)) which isn't really interesting. There's also those starcraft models which is just weird for me. IDK, maybe they just added those in the mpq for fun?

There's also those CaptureFlag models. It's either I forgot what those models are for or they had a capture the flag game planned. There's that garrison texture.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Doodads\Cinematic\IllidanVictoryCinematic\IllidanVictoryCinematic.mdx
Or just a different ending for TFT in case you lost the mission =P

The WE is pretty riddled with that kind of stuff. Some recent ones include the changing of the name Owlbear to Wildkin and Gyrocopter to Flying Machine—the latter also includes a few nearly unnoticeable model changes.

The Night Elf "Barrow Den" is called "Bear Den" in mpq, I guess it allowed to train Druids of The Claw in the Ancient of Lore. Undead "Gargoyle Spire" is unused building in mpq, it was a building that enabled training of Gargoyles in the Crypt. Another example would be Human "Mage Tower" that enabled the training of magi units. I guess most races had tech-enabler buildings that only enabled certain units to be trained from another buildings.

Waygates are using High Elf building textures, I think they were supposed to be High Elf structures. For some reason Blizzard used Waygates as a default transportation device.

The Frozen Throne Expansion added unused "Advanced Buildings" button it also introduced many of the naval technology. For some reason Advanced Buildings were abandoned along with building shipyards and ships. There are also a lot of melee TFT maps that are involved with islands / water for odd reason. You can find more interesting stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.