• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

RoC vs TFT

Reign of Chaos or The Frozen Throne?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a very interesting question now: did you like Reign of Chaos or The Frozen Throne, by this I am talking about; game-play, storyline, voice acting, music, campaign, cinematic and units. Comment about it and state your vote in the poll above.

<Spoiler> My Answer:

I liked Reign of Chaos more, because this is were I started playing War3, I felt very driven by the storyline in the campaign, I remember those first prologue missions of the campaign, I was just getting into this game. The game-play was indeed great, I loved to use some tactics, strategies using my time of the game. The voice acting was incredible, music was very ambient than from War1/ War2 games. I preferred ambient music because it sounded more mysterious and in-shape with the atmosphere. Cinematic movies were hugely with the top quality as with all Blizzard games, it was just amazing of how they archived such graphics in 2000 - 2003. Of course they had to be pre-rendered multiple times and quality lowered along with resolution: 800 x 600. But still those cinematic movies were purely outdone. My favorite cinematic was Dalaran Destruction. War3 also introduced heroic aka hero system and play-style, this time you could control various heroes with each race. Heroes were powerful second type of units, they had inventory and powerful heroic skills that required mana. Differently from War 1/ 2, Reign of Chaos this time had four races with dozens of other unplayable races across the maps. My favorite race was Undead & Night Elves. Undead and Night Elves had my favorite units/ heroes such as: Lich, Dreadlord, Necromancer, Ghoul. Night Elves: Priestess of The Moon, Archer, Huntress, Keeper of The Grove. Now I'l have to wrap this up. Please share your impressions too.

Level 23
I don't think any comparison can be made that makes sense.

Its not like RoC and TFT are two separate games that work differently, one is an expansion to another, most of what can be said about one applies to the other as well.

I don't think any comparison can be made that makes sense.

Its not like RoC and TFT are two separate games that work differently, one is an expansion to another, most of what can be said about one applies to the other as well.

Well, if you have seen this thread's name you would be intelligent enough to guess that this is a comparison thread. If you don't like comparisons then don't comment. People can be so stubborn.

Level 23
Well, if you have seen this thread's name you would be intelligent enough to guess that this is a comparison thread. If you don't like comparisons then don't comment. People can be so stubborn.

I do realise its a comparison thread.
I am here to tell you that comparing a base game with its expansion based on unique content each brings is stupid since the expansion will always lose out in that regard.

In terms of the areas you mentioned, the comparison doesn't make any logical sense since everything you did mention also applies to the expansion.

Its like comparing a cup versus a cup + saucer.
One is the same as the other with the exception of having something extra.

You can however state your opinion on matters such a which had a better story or cinematics since the TFT story is independent of the RoC one. Statements like RoC had dryads and necromancers and is therefore better makes 0 sense since TFT has them as well.
If you play the "TFT didn't have as much unique content additions in terms of units" card then I refer you back to my original point.

wow can you post anything without being a presumptuous asshole?

he's right for the most part, really the only thing u can fairly compare is the storyline. otherwise, everyone would favour roc; it's a full game vs an expansion that is dependent upon said full game. anyhow i voted both because i liked them equally as much.

Level 11
I love both of them, both of them are great, both of them have an amazing story, both of them have Arth-badass (xD).

That's a tough one. Since you added the option for "both", I'm going to choose "both". I really can't choose between them.

For the campaign, I think I generally liked the RoC one better. I loved all four of the CGI cinematics, and following Arthas', Thrall's, and Illidan/Tyrande/Malfurion's storylines was very compelling. In a way, RoC was very disjoint throughout, but they all reconciled in the end with Mount Hyjal. That was pretty cool on their part. They created a world, managed to get completely separate storylines out, but kept one overarching major storyline to finish it off.

Still, TFT added so many things I cannot live without, especially on the modding scene. Reign of Chaos modding was pretty annoying. TFT is what really made sites like wc3search, hiveworkshop, thehelper, and wc3c real entities. The campaign is wonderful as well. I wished for more CGI cinematics, but the intro and finale was sufficient enough. I loved Illidan's character, and the campaign deviated from the standard "raise an army, get gold, and kill the enemy base" style. Of course, there were some like that, but looking back, they had really awesome levels: dungeons, mazes, raids, survival, etc. For replayability, TFT's campaign wins out. For the original feel, RoC.

That's a tough one. Since you added the option for "both", I'm going to choose "both". I really can't choose between them.

For the campaign, I think I generally liked the RoC one better. I loved all four of the CGI cinematics, and following Arthas', Thrall's, and Illidan/Tyrande/Malfurion's storylines was very compelling. In a way, RoC was very disjoint throughout, but they all reconciled in the end with Mount Hyjal. That was pretty cool on their part. They created a world, managed to get completely separate storylines out, but kept one overarching major storyline to finish it off.

Still, TFT added so many things I cannot live without, especially on the modding scene. Reign of Chaos modding was pretty annoying. TFT is what really made sites like wc3search, hiveworkshop, thehelper, and wc3c real entities. The campaign is wonderful as well. I wished for more CGI cinematics, but the intro and finale was sufficient enough. I loved Illidan's character, and the campaign deviated from the standard "raise an army, get gold, and kill the enemy base" style. Of course, there were some like that, but looking back, they had really awesome levels: dungeons, mazes, raids, survival, etc. For replayability, TFT's campaign wins out. For the original feel, RoC.

War 3 Pre-RoC Beta had great modding factor too, Campaign Editor, Import Manager and other tools were supported by World Editor. But for some reason they removed it in retail RoC. :/

Level 16
That was a bit uncalled for. I think that deserves bad rep.

Back on topic:
RoC beta I not apart of the discussion though. RoC did not have the feature when it went retail and as always good/best things are always saved for last.
I voted for both since the game is one in the same.

to me it's like comparing SC or BW, One in the same.
Story wise, it continues on. To me Blizzard uses the same story for every game, making them a bit cliché but I still loved the story non the less.

wow can you post anything without being a presumptuous asshole?

he's right for the most part, really the only thing u can fairly compare is the storyline. otherwise, everyone would favour roc; it's a full game vs an expansion that is dependent upon said full game. anyhow i voted both because i liked them equally as much.

This.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I prefer tft because of the editor. Without tft I would've uninstalled wc3 right away.

Level 21
I sort of expected someone to mention that RoC had actual (even if minor) gameplay differences like armor-attack types working differently or that Gyrocopters actually were able to kill units and "summon" units were harmed even if they were placed on map and not summoned with spell. Oh and the missing Grifin Rider quote.

Regarding campaign I prefer story of RoC as it felt united and had one core conflict. Sure it had cliches like "everyone unites against common foe" and was generic good vs evil but was still entertaining. Especially when you got to play the undead campaign and crush elves and Dalaran (both sadly restored). Things that felt missing were Burning Legion proper race as to me it never made sense that Scourge suddenly appeared in Kalimdor, involvement of satyrs in invasion wasn't portrayed that well and you never got to use chimeras. And what is the deal with Green Dragon unit in Night Elf campaign folder.

TFT campaign had better missions but the story was all over the place. Think worst is Blood Elven campaign that gets hijacked in middle of it by Illidan. You could say Illidan hijacked all three campaigns except orcs who had stand alone story (story is interesting but the rpg factor didn't help for me personally). TFT just left many plots unfinished that weren't fully concluded until Wotlk (I rather not comment about the conclusions).

Also am I the only one who thinks TFT was rushed as it seems like naval theme was stared but never finished? Al races got shipyards and ships, new tile-set with tropical theme, swimming/amphibious mechanic for many creep units and last Naga race who probably were intended to be full race. The end product was good though but it was probably intended to be greater (or is that just standard thing for Blizzard games anyway). In the end I have to vote both as I can't really imagine one without other.

I sort of expected someone to mention that RoC had actual (even if minor) gameplay differences like armor-attack types working differently or that Gyrocopters actually were able to kill units and "summon" units were harmed even if they were placed on map and not summoned with spell. Oh and the missing Grifin Rider quote.

Regarding campaign I prefer story of RoC as it felt united and had one core conflict. Sure it had cliches like "everyone unites against common foe" and was generic good vs evil but was still entertaining. Especially when you got to play the undead campaign and crush elves and Dalaran (both sadly restored). Things that felt missing were Burning Legion proper race as to me it never made sense that Scourge suddenly appeared in Kalimdor, involvement of satyrs in invasion wasn't portrayed that well and you never got to use chimeras. And what is the deal with Green Dragon unit in Night Elf campaign folder.

TFT campaign had better missions but the story was all over the place. Think worst is Blood Elven campaign that gets hijacked in middle of it by Illidan. You could say Illidan hijacked all three campaigns except orcs who had stand alone story (story is interesting but the rpg factor didn't help for me personally). TFT just left many plots unfinished that weren't fully concluded until Wotlk (I rather not comment about the conclusions).

Also am I the only one who thinks TFT was rushed as it seems like naval theme was stared but never finished? Al races got shipyards and ships, new tile-set with tropical theme, swimming/amphibious mechanic for many creep units and last Naga race who probably were intended to be full race. The end product was good though but it was probably intended to be greater (or is that just standard thing for Blizzard games anyway). In the end I have to vote both as I can't really imagine one without other.

The green dragon located in the campaign units was a part of Dragon Egg's quest I think. The Burning Legion was intended to be a playable race, but they felt that it was too much of a wrong choice to allow player to play as them. Frozen Throne was rushed as they had been working on other releases that year, Starcraft Ghost, World of Warcraft. Frozen Throne was originally intended to have a playable Naga race, naval landscapes, units and buildings. Much has changed since then.

Level 21
The green dragon located in the campaign units was a part of Dragon Egg's quest I think. The Burning Legion was intended to be a playable race, but they felt that it was too much of a wrong choice to allow player to play as them. Frozen Throne was rushed as they had been working on other releases that year, Starcraft Ghost, World of Warcraft. Frozen Throne was originally intended to have a playable Naga race, naval landscapes, units and buildings. Much has changed since then.

Don't see why did they suddenly changed opinion about Burning Legion, from what I saw they were revealed right after orcs and humans. Though there was 1 more race that wasn't even revealed before it was scraped. Actually who can even count the amount of stuff that was scraped from Alpha and Beta (without counting RPG era of production) and honestly some of the stuff looked or sounded great. Didn't see much about Frozen Throne production though so I didn't wanted to outright claim that they rushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.