• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World Editor or Galaxy Editor?

Should World of Warcraft be remade with the "World Editor" or the "Galaxy Editor&quot

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
It'd be a pretty big waste of a lot of peoples time to switch now, wouldn't it?

Level 4
For some reason I got the feeling that the existence of such a forum thread implies that the development of the mod is still at an early stage >:3

TLW

TLW

Level 2
Would have to say WC3 World editor, otherwise isnt it SC2 WOW not WC3 WOW? Plus all the "alot of peoples time out the window" stuff that's been said.

Level 4
Well imo craka-j should give the community an honest answer whether or not he has the will to actively develop the mod :/

It seems questionable at times.
Altho there are no hard feeling here, because at the end of the day its quite a drag to develop a campaign of such magnitude.
However if one would put full effort into it, it should not take years to do so, because: An existing game engine with an editor is being used and that means most of the work is already done for you.

But my potential mistake is that I look at it from a programmer point of view, while Craka is more than likely just a hobbyist, thus will take more time. I do not know how much time he daily has to spend on mapmaking etc.

Level 4
I use the map editor like crazy just one thing I am not good at is on a trigger mode for game trigger like completing 1 staged and going to another stage with the stuff your hero obtained, Also tried to figure out on the instance part on the bonus stages on Wc3 The Forzen Throne on the Orc stages.

Level 5
World Editor, for sure. Don't stop now, if you switched to galaxy edit it would disappoint a lot of the people waiting to play it on Warcraft 3 whos graphics can't handle SC2 that well, like myself.

Level 7
Why, after years of development, would you even consider asking a question like this? Is progress really so slow, that you would consider abandoning all your work and starting over in a different editor????

IMO, at this point its all are nothing, WC3 Editor or drop it dead.

Level 18
It whas ment to be to see this project dead for WCIII(No offense) but you started this project a couple of years ago and now the moment has come that WCIII isnt that populair anymore and lots of people move to SCII wich sucks but its true. IMO you should have started this project earlyr anyway seems like you still got people that support you and as long as you do why would you stop the project? Anyway goodluck if you continue this project.

Idea: what if you make the project for WCIII first and wait for an converting tool for SCII or somthing that allows to inport the models of WCIII in it and maybe even copy terrain and stuff (doubt it but still)

Level 25
Thanks for the votes and feedback about why you chose W.E. or G.E.!

Just so we're on the same page, I've been asked if we'd ever go to the Galaxy Editor and a user on Mod DB requested me to create a poll where the public could choose what we do - stick with Wc3:WoW or move onto SC2:WoW - but regardless, we've prioritized to complete certain systems that are essential to Wc3:WoW's testing and, much later on, playability. Though I cannot prove it with screenshots just yet, I assure everyone that the coders PurgeandFire111 and Watermelon_1234 are working on numerous important systems that will enable Wc3:WoW to be 'played' so we can begin testing in-game performance, terrain pathing, etc.

It is unlikely that I will even have time for a project like SC2:WoW. And seeing that the community so far greatly favors the WarCraft III World Editor over the StarCraft II Galaxy Editor, I don't see a need to worry. But keep voting regardless and leaving comments! I read them all and do take them into consideration if they are necessary.

Level 4
I am Wc3 Map editor all the way it's my favorite game and favorite map editor and do hope blizzard adds new features like WoW features on both normal and map editor for people who make maps to make things more fun for us to make.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I am aware I am not a member of this project but I still wish to post constructivly on the subject.

Due to the major differences in opperation between Starcaft II and the Warcraft III engine it would mean having to start completly from scratch. Additionally due to the lack of Warcraft like units and the policy on copywrite, you will have to create a huge ammount of custom model content which I doubt you have axcess to the resources needed. You will also have to deal with an entirly new steep learning curve as many functionalities you take for advantace in Warcraft 3 are not present in Starcraft 2, especially data and script wise.

Moving over to Starcraft II however does give more customizability over important areas of the game. These include completly removing the clunky default interface to allow for a more RPG streamlined one, better hotkey and mouse support allowing better navigations, better graphics for visuals supassing the real WoW game andeven systems allowing the project to become fully multiplayer (or so it seems as that functionality has yet to be tested in Starcraft II).

Yes Starcraft II seems good, but you must remember it means scrapping the current work completly, which as far as I know has taken 5 years or so of combined work to produce. This will equivently mean all that time spent was wasted. However then there is the fact that how many Warcraft III players will be left to play the finished product once you finish. Additionally will continuing this project in Warcraft mean wasting more time in the end (never is finished). If you use Starcraft II why even try and copy WoW when you could make your own creation.

With all these points to consider, it seems meaningless even having a public vote. Ultimatly the decission is entirly up to the people who have made most of the current content as they are the ones most affected by a change. I advise thinking about it carefully over the next week as if you want to move to Starcraft II you will want to do it as soon as possible to prevent wasting any more time.

Level 16
Such as medeival settings , with magical themes that can't be found in Starcraft, which is more realistic, and sci-fi themed.

i would rather edit in warcraft for fantasy and mini games, or arenas, not in starcraft.

it would
1. needs a lot of map space for imports
2. realistic themes is not fit for "FUN" types of games such as uther party, or many joke maps...i can't imagine laughing off a bloody scene with jokes.
3. imagine on your own.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
we might find out stuff from the World Editor that you can't find in the Galaxy Editor

You might, but still Starcraft II's editor has hundreds of new and useful features WE does not so you will never be able to make them even approch equal.

For a short list, what SC2 editor supports that WE does not...
Up to 14 players, loading new maps in multiplayer, modifying unit stats via triggers, saving and loading using the hard disk and changing light sources / direction of shadows during gameplay.

Such as medeival settings , with magical themes that can't be found in Starcraft, which is more realistic, and sci-fi themed.

2. realistic themes is not fit for "FUN" types of games such as uther party, or many joke maps...i can't imagine laughing off a bloody scene with jokes.

which is why starcraft is a different type of game than warcraft.

it's much more ladder based.
whereas warcraft is more custom game based

Level 20
With all these points to consider, it seems meaningless even having a public vote. Ultimatly the decission is entirly up to the people who have made most of the current content as they are the ones most affected by a change. I advise thinking about it carefully over the next week as if you want to move to Starcraft II you will want to do it as soon as possible to prevent wasting any more time.

He's right, ultimately. It's you who will have to put more time into either engine, you should make the choice without our input. We, the public are fickle. We might vote something now and decide differently in a months time when sc2 is out. Sadly, that's just human nature.

Level 16
Its actually pointless then to argue which is better?

which is why starcraft is a different type of game than warcraft.

it's much more ladder based.
whereas warcraft is more custom game based

because, we will be using both, under diffrent types of games that we want to create..

Minigames, Joke n Fun, Magical and fantasy,<Anything more that goes fit in your imagination> goes to warcraft WE

Ladder based? Alien and stuff,<Anything more that goes fit in your imagination> goes to Starcraft

Lets end this discussion, in the last, we will meet to the same conclusion,
We will be needing both Editors...as they have their own purposes, in the last, its decided based on our particular individual needs, MAJORITY cannot decide what we will be making. Whatever happens, i will never Laugh playing Pyramid Escape in Starcraft !!

Status
Not open for further replies.