• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

RvR

Do You Want RvR In Wc3:WoW?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
RvR (Realm versus Realm) is pretty much two more or more major factions such as Horde versus Alliance that are in a constant war against each other for conquest/territorial gain. This involves a ton of PvP, which is why I am planning to have RvR included in Wc3:WoW. The PvP in World of Warcraft is good, but not quite as good as it is in Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning (which has the best PvP in an MMORPG in my humble opinion) and one of the major reasons, if not the most important reason, is because of RvR. Warhammer Online has RvR where players of the Destruction and of the Order. I'll skip Warhammer Online though and just jump to how Wc3:WoW would approach RvR.

RvR means players can take over hostile bases. But you cannot just go straight from Orgrimmar to Stormwind and take it over. For one, it won't be easy at all. Second, you need to capture bases in the proper order that lead up to the capital city so your team can be allowed to take it over. How will this work? Well lets say you're a Horde player and are in Durotar. First, in order to push for Ironforge and Stormwind, the Horde must control all the crucial points in Kalimdor - especially homeland territories in Durotar, Mulgore, and The Barrens. Once all bases in those zones are under Horde control, Horde players (and bots) will be able to push to capture the next base to push further, which would likely be from Tirisfal Glades downward/eastward or from Ashenvale and into the harbor so Teldrassil can be accessed by the Horde and taken.

RvR will allow players and bots to raid and capture towns and cities. This will grant experience, honor, and additional bonuses which I haven't put too much thought about yet. But basically, this will empower grouped PvP out in the open. Battlegrounds will still be quite important too though since it grants quicker and easier honor and battleground marks to purchase PvP mounts and items like that.

But don't get worried if you don't like this idea. The way I've explained it above is more of a rough-draft of how it will work and I will continue to improve on structuring the RvR plans once Wc3:WoW's other problems and whatnot are dealt with. Plus, it likely won't be in the single player version since we're expecting WarSoc to come along and require us to recode everything for the fourth or fifth time in Wc3:WoW's history. We'd really rather not code everything into single player and then abandon it all to redo it again so it can be played online, so we're just going to wait until it can be played online to throw in big goodies like RvR.

Anyway, agree or disagree with RvR in Wc3:WoW?

Level 20
Sounds great always wanted to play both WoW and WO (never, ever going to pay £9 a month just to play ONE game), the latter for that exact reason!
If I could play a combination of the two and the only price is a slight loss in graphical appearance, I'm all for it!

Nice idea ;)

Level 25
One price? Well, Wc3:WoW isn't on StarCraft II so we cannot legally sell or make any profit off the mod. However, the only part where 'price' comes in is the need to purchase WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos and WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne. Buying them both in the Battle Chest is like only $30 or something near that.

I doubt Blizzard Entertainment will take offense towards Wc3:WoW. I've gotten plenty of comments from people saying they're going to buy WarCraft III just to play the mod! But then again... there's quite a few WoW players out there who plan to quit WoW for Wc3:WoW when it is released in a good enough condition to be played and enjoyed.

Level 8
Sorry I haven't been around, I've been swamped. But this idea looks great, only problem is I don't see how we can get the main town unless you play for 4-5 hours straight.

Or am I missing something? Anyways I'd love to see this put in regardless though.

Level 25
Hours will likely be needed to successfully capture and control all nodes leading up to the capital city of your rival. But that is why this idea is reserved for the online version of Wc3:WoW, which we all look forward to! Including us developers. Of course, all ideas relating to multiplayer are not being worked on due to WarSoc not being released/completed yet, but once it is/if it is, Wc3:WoW will definitely include RvR.

As for those who have their doubts about WarSoc's release and have more faith in the single player version, RvR is a risky idea. With so many competitive Player-Bots we plan to add and the amount of time it will take to create and play, it's difficult to say if the single player version will ever get a chance at RvR action. I guess it depends if we get the rest of the important stuff done first and if the players really want RvR to majorly impact Wc3:WoW's single player as it will to the multiplayer version.

PS: Good to have you back Yabby!

Level 8
Well for a single player I'd like to see something to the extent that you can play with bots to RvR and you can take over towns (Then be able to buy, sell, repair, train etc... at the location) And be able to log out.

Minor towns will take maybe 15+ hours to have bots sent in to try to retake the area (So when you turn it off and go to sleep you can still continue the siege)

Popular areas such as WestFall or Barrens etc... will have bots sent in within half the time (Maybe have 2-3 cap levels ride in to the response ASAP since some players respond to city attacks pretty fast) since it is such a popular area.

Major cities will have loads of bots to fight through and will take bots from other areas a good 20-30 minutes to head to the main town. Making the major city very hard to take over making it very fun and action packed.

PS: Thanks =)

Level 25
I don't think it's possible for us to allow the game/mod know what to do on processing events after you've logged out and quit the game. So that's the downside/plus side to single player I guess. Logging out is like pausing the game until you want to log in and play again.

Oh and by the way, RvR means you can expect siege weapons and cool content like that too. Unless players don't want that kind of stuff?

Level 4
I dont really follow, if theres gunna be an online version of that event or mechanic whatever you prefer to call it. Then you would need more than 1 map right? So how exactly will this be made functional.

If you mentioned it then i must be missing something here but please illuminate us ^_^

Level 20
Haha... sorry I didn't mean it like that.

I meant I refuse to pay for WoW/Warhammer Online :) and would love to see the best of both in a warcraft 3 mod, the only sacrafice being graphics.

Which is perfectly fine by me... people get so worked over game appearances these days :/

Keep it up! :) Can't wait! Best of luck.

EDIT: So i'm assuming WarSoc is still alive? I looked a while back and the forum seemed pretty dead (haven't checked in ages to be fair). Really hope it isn't!

Level 8
Ah... EPL Points were always fun but no one ever really cared... I'd take all of them when farming AD rep + SR gear. (Naxx preparation of course) Took so damn long to get the two...

Anyways, that should be implemented as well the Control points were something to do while waiting for party members etc...

Level 6
I do not think this will be verry cool idea, but if you make it in like 2 realms, then it is ok, I guess. My suggestion is to just add PLENTY of battlegrounds(or how people call it in short BG) and maybe instances. No need to make all of them perfect and WoW style, you can ofcourse make them in old WC3(I guess you try to merge both the games, not just make WoW in wc3 for single player). I play WoW mostly because of battlegrounds just to let you know. Ofcourse you can make lot types of BG here are some:
1: I am sure you played CS(counter strike) in there the battlegrounds are 3 styles
A: Save hostiles - ofcourse this will sound stupid for me in WoW :D but you can think of something maybe.
B: Plant bombs - maybe help goblin sappers or something :p.
C: Extermination(total team elimination or what ever) - I was thinking of this one that it was good, but I am sure Blizzard already thought of it and maybe they did not add it, because mostly for the reason that some class types will have to aways die first and will get anoying to players or something :S(you are the expert and will think of something or will just not add such styles or you will add it and if people dont like it they will not enter it etc. etc.).
2: Maybe you can add the BG from wotlk with siege that ofcourse is a long forgoten wc1-3 style.
3: The style from the game you mentioned "Savage2" is some how the same style like "Majesty - The Fantasy Kingdom Sim" difference is only at buildings and the one is with players the other one is with AI.
Thouse for now If more ideas come I know where is the forum.
One last thing, If one faction wipe out the other faction what will happen then, Is it lost or what?

Level 18
You should learn to read mister because Craka_J sayed that he is going to remake WoW in Wc3 and only the original WoW not BC or any other expansion and i doubt he will add a lot of things that are not originaly in WoW. and if he does its prolly only thinks to inprove it like better Interfaces or somthing.

Level 25
Well to answer your question about what happens when a all nodes are captured:

Let us pretend you're on the losing team, the Alliance:wink:. All nodes have been taken by the Horde, including Stormwind and Ironforge. Where do the Alliance players go? How do players already questing in other zones get affected? What are the incentives to retake the nodes?

[1]. Where Do Alliance Players Go?
Well because the main city of the Alliance is now taken, there has to be a fallback. And no, not Darnassus since lets assume that is also taken. (maybe the Horde players outnumber the Alliance players 10:1) The details of where the Alliance can spawn to more safely take the capital without getting their last resort dominated is still in the works, but basically a rough plan is that we'll create a new area for the Alliance to spawn that cannot be entered by Horde players or even taken by them. Basically, this point will be impervious to capture. Here, high level Alliance players will be able to "Enter The Frontlines" whether they're in The Barrens, Hinterlands, Stranglethorn Forest, or where ever. Doing this will port your character to the Alliance refuge to help quickly defend/take back Stormwind and the other nodes.
However, as soon as Stormwind or whatever city is taken, the city cannot be retaken for another 20 minutes. This is to help make capturing a city more fulfilling and also, more importantly, allow players the time to regroup and prepare to defend/counter-attack. That way, as soon as the 20 minutes are up, more level 60 Alliance players will come out of the woodwork to fight for their city again - and the Horde will likely either be prepared or will have gotten bored of waiting by then, so the chances of the Alliance retaking the city is quite good.

[2]. How Do Players Who Are Already Questing In Zones Get Affected?
Nothing really. If your city is taken, you can no longer take a flight path to that city. Also, in Warhammer Online, when a node is taken in a regular zone, flight paths are located in "War Camps" which serve as a protected area in that zone which allows for a good base to launch assaults to fight for the nodes. While something somewhat similar to this may be added in Wc3:WoW, it is unknown how players will go from town to town once the town they're trying to go to is already taken. But in the end, to ensure that the game still feels like World of Warcraft, players who are playing like normal WoW players and are just questing or grinding will not be affected whatsoever. We may consider making the zone turn contested, making you flagged though if you aren't flagged already. Very rough details though as said above.

[3]. What Are The Incentives To Take/Retake The Nodes?
Aside from the fun PvP/ORvR experience, you can gain in-game experience to help you level, gain honor points, get a temporary (60 min) buff that increases experience and honor gained and damage you deal, and rewards will be offered for capturing nodes/cities. Plus, taking a node makes that node controlled by your team, allowing easier access to that zone/node and possibly more quests as well. In fact, even more benefits may be thought of and added as well later on once the open RvR plans become more structured - but that may not be for a while.

Level 25
Yeah. Not really doing this for Single Player since... it could take a while to create and I think people will enjoy this much more online with others than by themselves. Player-Bots may still be added in the multiplayer version, but I don't know. Depends what you guys want. :wink:

Level 7
You should totally do this, this is an awesome idea! You should add this to single player too, that way you are not dependant on other people playing online to have this feature.

EDIT: How many ( yes votes ) do you need before this is a definite thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.