Porting WarCraft 3 models to StarCraft 2
Here are the videos where I walk you through the steps:
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40HDe...ature=youtu.be
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_TYs...ature=youtu.be
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3zG_...ature=youtu.be
Some extra notes:
Yes the 3rd party plugins to support cameras. I have just gained contact with the guy who is currently working on them and I will try to figure out a method to make it work. However I cannot provide any estimate as to when I can make it work if at all.
You know that green icon you see at the bottom when you select a unit?
Here is a trick to get it to work without any effort:
1. Import the unit icon/button I showed you how to make.
2. In the actors tab, for the unit's main actor, set the Wireframe field to the icon.
3. Enjoy. StarCraft 2 will automatically make it green for you!
I did not go into this, but it really isn't to hard.
1. Make sure that the sound files are in the best compressed .ogg format you can tolerate. StarCraft 2 has the best compression (for smaller filesize) with the .ogg format. It can use .wav and I think .mp3 but .ogg is still best.
2. Go to the sounds tab in the data editor. Create a new sound. Then find the field "sound assets" and input the appropriate sounds. If you input multiple, whenever the actor calls upon that sound it will, via a method you can set, chose one to use.
3. Go to the unit's actor. In the appropriate sounds field add the sounds for the specific types of sound calles. For instance there is a "move" field and a "yes" field that I think ought to use the same sound link from the sounds tab.
Well guys thats it. I can try to answer questions but keep in mind I had to find all of this out via experimentation, which took close to a year on and off to figure out. If I don't know it and I don't need to know it I'm unlikely to explore the topic for you.
I am not going to try to fix up your guys's models. You can upload them to the forums and I can take a look at them once in a while should I be in the mood.
Remember I will only use 3d Studio Max 2011 for any help I give. If you give me a .max file that is not 2011 I am very unlikely to help you again.
I'm saying all this because fixing models that don't work is a HUGE
pain and I have enough trouble with my own stuff.
If you guys like seeing WarCraft 3 models in StarCraft 2 (or any of my other models or other player's models) help put pressure on Blizzard to release the art tools. Make your own petition. Support other petitions etc etc. If enough of us do it then the point may get through and they will prioritize it. This would definatly help get StarCraft 2 modeling off the ground more than anything else.
Edit: I have been told by the maker of the export scripts that transparency is indeed possible. Keep in mind though my tutorials are based what I have and have not been able to get certain things to work. In my experience transparency does not work. If I can be shown how to make it work then I will upload an extra tutorial showing how.
Hope the guide helps!