• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Mapping] Warcraft III World Editor Tutorials Ep. 3 - Hero Chooser [Part 1]

Level 4

Here is another weekly tutorial by Snowman Productions, in this tutorial we will learn how to make choosing heroes on a special way...
As always there will be a download link for the map at the end of the description, so if you want you can download the map...
Don't forget to like, comment and favorite!
If you like our video and work, than please subscribe!
---
Song used: Lemaitre - Strobes Pt. 2
"I do not own the music!"
---
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?duy6kqxrkv0j4ba
---
If you really want to support us financially: http://adf.ly/AW7Ok

Level 25
Hello,
the tutorial was simple, but there were some things that made no sense to me:

Namely:
Why were you changing team of those heroes one by one? I mean that's pretty basic stuff to just select them all, right? :goblin_wtf:

But that is just a minor technical stuff that doesn't really affect anything, however what really made no sense is your placement of pathing blockers.
You put trees around the whole thing, why do you need pathing blockers there? It's not really important if the wisp unit gets close to the hero, right?

But ok, let's just say you want it that way... then why do you put pathing blockers in places, where the wisp unit has no chance of ever getting to?
Look at the pic:
attachment.php

The red crossed ones are pathing blockers that are completely unneeded. The pathing blockers in green box can be changed for 1 large pathing blocker.
The way I showed, there would be 26 pathing blocker units, the way you did it, you have 46 pathing blocker units. Makes difference right? And this is just for 2 heroes. Imagine the number of pathing blockers around all the heroes that need it.

What I'm trying to say is, that you carelessly place stuff in the map, which in actual map intended for playing could result in worse performance.

Attachments

• Tutorial.jpg
    Tutorial.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 5,788
^ Don't worry, pathing blockers just change a boolean or two on map loading or compiling or w/e.
The map has this pathing map table, and the pathing blockers just modify data inside it.

At least, that's what they're supposed to do.
But then again, Blizzard does the funniest things often, so you might be right.
A good way to test this is to place hundreds of thousands of pathing blockers and see if it makes a difference relative to a map with 0 pathing blockers.
(I haven't tested yet, but I'm not very curious, so I probably won't. Well, at least, not now.)

Last edited:
Level 4
Yes, you are right about that,(about the path blocker) but I don't know, I made those path-blockers everywhere because, the wisp could maybe go pass 1 path-blocker and than go behind the Heroes, witch I don't want..
But that is only the 3rd Episode, there will be a lot of improvements..
Thanks for your feedback anyway! :)

Level 25
Wisp cannot pass pathing blocker, unless it is ground pathing blocker and the wisp is air-type unit, or vice-versa, the wisp is ground-type unit and you have placed air pathing blocker.

It can pass pathing blocker if you turn its collision off via triggers, I think.

Level 23
^ Don't worry, pathing blockers just change a boolean or two on map loading or compiling or w/e.
The map has this pathing map table, and the pathing blockers just modify data inside it.

At least, that's what they're supposed to do.
But then again, Blizzard does the funniest things often, so you might be right.
A good way to test this is to place hundreds of thousands of pathing blockers and see if it makes a difference relative to a map with 0 pathing blockers.
(I haven't tested yet, but I'm not very curious, so I probably won't. Well, at least, not now.)

Tested it, placed 6466 ground blockers and it lagged my editor as hell untill i turned vision of them off but the load time was like any empty map

Also wisp with 0.00 collision size can't go trough pathing blockers, tested as well.
:)

Level 23
I have 6466 doodads(all are pathing blocker(ground) and i have 60.0 fps while while having init trgger with visible: disable black mask, disable fog of war.
When i scroll the mouse wheel it drops to around 40. but it does on pretty much every map at least for me.
I doubt you will have higher then 60 fps on empty map.
edit: I have 1 footman on map :D