• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tutorials that are yet to be created.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40

In chat, Tank-commander told me: "I can't believe this tutorial has not been created already after (almost) 16 years."
To which I could only think: "He's right." because I've been quite desperately searching for Zinc related tutorials on the site.

And thus I decided to create this thread for that purpose, to highlight what's left.

Please help me fill the list as I am sure I am not the only one who hasn't always found a tutorial for whatever they are in need of.

Anything related to Zinc
vJass

Usage of Modules and Interfaces
vJass

Introduction to JASS for dummies
jass

Optimized WoW models
Modeling

Last edited:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

There is no still good tutorial introducing to Jass and vJass in general.
While Jass is okay, vJass offers no good options for learning it yourself without having to
poke people or to ask questions and questions, you know,
something like hold-my-hands tutorials for dummies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Hm, I can kinda relate to that a bit.

I remember reading through one of the JASS introduction tutorials at least 4 times, still only learned to how make a function but overall I had learned nothing at all.

The only reason I successfully learned jass was because I learned C# at school once you know one language another one is easy to learn.

So yeah, I can certainly see a need of a better jass introduction tutorial, for stupid people like me :p

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Yup, that's the point. I already heard plenty of times vJass orientates around language
structures like C#, but that does not help at all when one does not know anything about C#.

A long long time ago Nestharus presented a very short tutorial to the basics of C# which are adaptable to vJass,
but sadly dropped it due to the lack of interest:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/programming-714/learn-c-adapted-vjass-tutorials-272712/

In my opinion we need tutorials of that kind regarding vJass and maybe Jass, too.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I actually have a half-written tutorial about Zinc introduction.
I think it might be a bit better for learning purposes because it skips a lot of syntax which might make it less confusing.
At least that was my intention.

There's also Nestharus' video tutorials if you have seen those.
Some parts were better than others but I think you can pick up a thing or two.

"I can't believe this tutorial has not been created already after (almost) 16 years."

What was he referring to? Was it about ZINC?

I guess it sorta is related to the fact that if you wanted something like ZINC to begin with, then you were probably already a programmer, in which case the manual does just fine. For the higher-level features, I recommend:
vJASS OOP Lesson

I once created a WIP tutorial for ZinC, tho I lost interest with it since only few people use it anyways.

Interfaces was ugly (for me) and only old people uses it. I think people don't use it currently because Nestharus refused tho(is this some sort of a phenomena :V) the only problem with it I think is that it prevents inheritance.

Modules is a good since some are confused with it (including me) e.g. Module A has method B. Struct C implements module A then tries to call B with method D. This causes error

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Correction. We do permit exporting of Wow models and submitting them to Hive as long as they are properly adapted to Wc3 (polygons, animations, attachments) and proper credit is given to Blizzard. We have no tutorials about this at this point, but that is because of lack rather than principal.

I did not know this was allowed, lel

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Yeah, I knew meshes from wow are allowed to be used as bases for new models,
but that actual optimized WoW models are allowed, I had no idea.

I am excited if someone can provide a tutorial for this.

Level 9
blancfaye7 said:
Hello. I don't know who to contact for this request.

I want any of the pros here (probably you if you want) to post a tutorial about Dependency Equivalence and how we can use it for all things.

Moreover, Dependency Equivalence (Unit) has been known to unknown crashing issues with slight misuse. I wanted to do it myself, but I am very uninformed about these things, and I myself needed help regarding these.

PurgeandFire said:
Could be useful--seems like a good idea.

In the meantime, does this thread help?
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...torials-yet-created-278678/w...valent-247166/

blancfaye7 said:
I have already read the thread.
The information seems lacking.

This thread is a gold mine:
http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?p=983871
But somehow it died. The work there would have been great if completed and turned into a tutorial.

I have dug up several information regarding dependency equivalence, but I still don't get why some methods wouldn't work (probably because the lack of understanding the concept. Does it have a parent-child relationship? A table perhaps? Idk...), or at some point the map will crash with no error message; no dialogue box even.
Sample crash #1:
Unit A and Unit B exists.
Unit A has a dependency equivalence of Unit B, and vice versa.
When something related to Unit a OR Unit B is clicked in-game, the game would crash without any errors.

^ Things like this. I just found that out after DAYS of fixing. It's time this issue should be addressed and pointed out by professionals like you.

EDIT: Sample Crash #2
Structure A, Structure B
Structure B has a dependency equivalence to Structure A.
Structure A can be upgraded to Structure B.
Same results to Sample Crash #1.

PurgeandFire said:
Thanks for the link. :) I'll look into it! I'm always happy to hear ideas for tutorials.

And sorry to hear about that problem, that must've been an absolute pain to find. I remember having a similar situation where I was trying to find the source of a crash in some programming, and after days of debugging I narrowed down the problem to one '&' symbol. :[

But nothing beats the satisfaction of finally finding it!

We have already talked about this and I think this should be placed on the first post as well: Dependency Equivalence.
PnF is on his way regarding it, though.