• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to make directly enterable houses (no dummie houses)

Level 5
Getting started
First off you're going to need the models. Choose any pack you want from these. They are created by the same authors.
House system kit (the kit I'm using in the tutorial)
House system roof addon (the roofs in house kit aren't included so here they are)
Stone house kit (pretty much the same except the walls and doors and windows etc are out of stone)
Log house kit (same but out of wood logs like a cabin, I also use the tiles from this kit)

Also if the links are broken then in google search wc3c [name of pack here]

PLEASE NOTE : this tutorial is ment for more experienced users of WE
onto the tutorial
Quick note : If your model is a green box probably you should restart WE

Ok, so create a new world.

Now open the import manager
43BSU9a.jpg

Open the import files window

Now navigate to the downloaded folder and find an .mdx file named something like wall_blank.mdx or [bricks]wall_blank or [logs]wall_blank depending on which pack you chose
8fT6cxf.jpg

Now create a new destructible and name it anything you want. I named mine [house]wall (I'm sorry that my WE isn't in english)
SW3UQJ3.jpg

Ok. Now put these attributes in your destructible :
target type (or something) - no
size of selection - 96.00
shadow - no
can walk - no
texture path - no
max size - 2.00
min size - 2.00
random size - no

Now find the art-texture and change it to the wall_blank(or whatever) that is in your downloaded folder(kit)
CZXTwPT.jpg

You should restart WE otherwise your model will have a green and black box.

Now it should look something like this :
z7MnbYH.jpg

But once you place the wall will be randomly rotated

To fix that select the model and hit enter. This window will come up
qudEEPa.jpg

Adjust it to your liking

The wall is now straight
i0dT1Cb.jpg

place a bunch of them rotating them how I taught you
fYyp5jx.jpg

E2atirm.jpg

When you're done leave one space for the door
hRTivI8.jpg

Go to import manager again and now import the wall_door.mdx (or [bricks]wall_door or whatever)
77rOQ15.jpg

Then go to object editor and just copy the wall_blank and rename it to wall_door

Then just change the texture from wall_blank.mdx ro wall_door(or wahtever).mdx
qByzrpo.jpg

Again restart WE

Now place the door and rotate it how you want
yf35OBf.jpg

kJvB8SG.jpg

If you don't want extra detail you can skip the next step

Now add corners. Open import manager and and find a file in your folder like wall_corner.mdx or whatever you have.
85klqne.jpg

Now create a new doodad in the water section with the name wall_corner and give it these attributes :

texture path - no
max size - 2.00
min size - 2.00
random size - no
6QMcU4w.jpg

Give your wall_corner the model path that you imported
b5yXFgI.jpg

This is how the corner from the house system kit looks like
2OvO6bL.jpg

As always rotate it. I recommend giving it 0 rotation always!
aas9mdr.jpg

Place the corners pretty much anywhere you like (I'll place mine around the corners and around the door because it sticks out a bit
f4BEvhN.jpg

MCrRO1m.jpg

nEQqMHh.jpg

Now let's make the flooring!

Open import manager and navigate to log house kit (you may also go to stone house kit, it also has some nice floor tiles. But I prefer the log house kit tile)
and go to misc and find misc_tile and import it.
2ieYP1O.jpg

Now pretty much just copy your wall destructible and give it a name something like tile[wood] or something.
oxRYNnr.jpg

Now give it your imported model file
cSsdugd.jpg

I recommend giving it these attributes especialy if you're using house system kit :

max size - 6.50
min size - 6.50
jFzEBeD.jpg

and :
fixed rotation - 0
kYxXrKB.jpg

As always restart WE to see changes

Fill in the house floor with these:
q4kfRre.jpg

Now create a new doodad named roof in the buildings section with these attributes:

texture path - no
max size - 10.00
71jtzC7.jpg

Now go to import manager and navigate to your roofs folder from the pack you got and import the roof you want. I'm using house kit roof addon brown shingles
XnX7OL6.jpg

also each of these pack include BLP files. Import all BLP files from the pack you're using and remove the War3Imported/ thing from their paths. This is very important otherwise the WE will crash when you try to place a roof.
4DasXkR.jpg

i3ESscK.jpg

Restart WE

When you place a roof it will kind of look like this:
m9121Ft.jpg

You're going to have to hit enter and set it's rotation and x, y, z size to the size of the house you created
mxiGSBy.jpg

Just mess around with the numbers and you'll get it
0DTclWT.jpg

If the roof is too high or too low then select the roof and hold CTRL and at the same time press page up (for raising) and page down (for lowering).
kngLDtm.jpg

YWwjQRC.jpg

But there is a problem : You can walk through the walls!
There's an easy solution. Use pathing blockers
0C7p3Cz.jpg

Here I surrounded the hole building with pathing blockers but I left the door clean without the blockers so you could walk through it. To place them inside the wall hold SHIFT while placing
8vfNPpX.jpg

Now we need the roof to disapear when a unit enters the building

We're going to create 3 regions

One called Enter1
EPWmAWr.jpg

Another one Enter1a
8qdL37h.jpg

And Enter1b on the hole building
Y05KSMg.jpg

Now open trigger editor

Create 2 triggers
R1
R1a
uoFdDPh.jpg

So for R1 do this :
  • R1
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters Enter1 <gen>
      • Conditions
      • Actions
        • Animation - Play the hide animation for all doodads of type [house]roof_brown shingles within Enter1b <gen>

Do this for R1a
  • R1a
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters Enter1a <gen>
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Animation - Play the show animation for all doodads of type [house]roof_brown shingles within Enter1b <gen>
Now place a unit
lHlX4GN.jpg

This is when you're outside
i8imqY2.jpg

This is when you're inside
mPAma4f.jpg

Finishing off
This is an example of what you can create:
SO0QDVQ.jpg

BTW That's a tavern from my upcoming map

Also there are wall_blank[upper] included. As you see in the picture that house is taller that the one in the tutorial. To do that just import the wall_blank[upper].mdx and use that. Then you can place wall on top of the ones you created. Same with all other [upper].mdx files

This uses some furniture packs.
Indoor doodads pack

Ket's some furniture pack

Ket's tableware

Hobbiton doodads

Attachments

• Test.w3x
    309.1 KB · Views: 217
Last edited by a moderator:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Yes he does.
[hidden=some title][IMG]image link[/IMG][/hidden]

Either way, this is waaaaay too detailed, as much as I support noob friendly tutorials this is over kill.

Instead of showing pics on how to create every single object just write "You'll need a a custom desturctable for each of the 5 models we just imported" or something like that. And for the triggers just post the finished trigger in trigger tags and explain how it works.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/miscellaneous-tutorials-456/how-easily-post-triggers-163285/

+1 for the final product though, this is super useful.

Last edited:
Level 5
Yes he does.
[hidden=some title][IMG]image link[/IMG][/hidden]

Either way, this is waaaaay too detailed, as much as I support noob friendly tutorials this is over kill.

Instead of showing pics on how to create every single object just write "You'll need a a custom desturctable for each of the 5 models we just importet" or something like that. And for the triggers just post the finished trigger in trigger tags and explain how it works.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/miscellaneous-tutorials-456/how-easily-post-triggers-163285/

+1 for the final product though, this is super useful.
Thanks a ton :goblin_yeah:

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
I'm not allowed to approve your resource :< You will have to wait for mode to show up.

The tutorial itself seems fine, yet as mentioned already, it is probably too detailed. I don't recall 11-13 old kids wandering around.

This could be fixed with additional "hidden" tags within another "hidden" tags i.e you got basic description and pics, yet if you want more details, you can open the inner spoiler to get the info :)

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I have actually wrote a system for that that automaticly plays a morph animation followed by a "stand alternate" animation of destructables when the camera target gets close to the particular destructable.
If you move away again, it plays "morph alternate" and then reverts the destructable to loop "stand" again.

All that with the minimum amount of overhead possible.

The "morph" and "morph alternate" animations are used to slowly fade the model visibility in and out.

I could upload this system to hive if anyone reading this is interested. I think this is a much better approach than hiding rooftops when a unit enters, because it allows looking inside a house even without someone being inside.

Level 5
I have actually wrote a system for that that automaticly plays a morph animation followed by a "stand alternate" animation of destructables when the camera target gets close to the particular destructable.
If you move away again, it plays "morph alternate" and then reverts the destructable to loop "stand" again.

All that with the minimum amount of overhead possible.

The "morph" and "morph alternate" animations are used to slowly fade the model visibility in and out.

I could upload this system to hive if anyone reading this is interested. I think this is a much better approach than hiding rooftops when a unit enters, because it allows looking inside a house even without someone being inside.
Dunno. Kinda lazy right now