• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Manually Registering ShellExtension

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Opening
This is for anybody who got troubles in using JNGP's register shell extension, just like me. I made this for Windows 7 users only. I don't know will this works for another Windows version or not. And first you have to know that this is my experiments on my own PC. Please, report any safety issue to me :grin:

What does shell extension do?
This may change your map-file icons if you are getting bored of plain white paper icon. And you can open any map by WorldEditor instantly just by double-clicking the file.​

A. Editing Registry:
(You are recommended to create a "Restore Point" before doing this in case you make mistakes in the process)
Step 1:
Go to desktop, click the Windows icon, search for regedit and open it.
regedit.jpg
Step 2:
Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT>.w3m/.w3x. Double click on (Default) field and input this string:
- For .w3m: WorldEdit.Scenario
- For .w3x: WorldEdit.ScenarioEx
program.png
Step 3:
Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT>WorldEdit.Scenario(Ex)>shell>open>command. Double click on (Default) field and input this string:
"<your Warcraft III directory>\World Editor.exe" -loadfile "%L"
For example:
"D:\Warcraft III\World Editor.exe" -loadfile "%L"
Don't forget to also do the same step for WorldEdit.ScenarioEx.
directory.png

In case you want to open the file using JNGP, set the field value to:
"<your JNGP directory>\NewGen WE.exe" -loadfile "%L"
For example (using newest JNGP):
"D:\JNGP\NewGen WE.exe" -loadfile "%L"

B. Changing Icon:
Step 1:
Download this tool:
- Windows 32-bit View attachment filetypesman.zip
- Windows 64-bit View attachment filetypesman-x64.zip

Step 2:
Extract the zip file into a folder named "IconMan" or whatever.​

Step 3:
Open FileTypesMan.exe, seek for .w3m file extension. Double click > Default Icon (press ... button) > Go to <Your Warcraft III directory>\worldedit.exe > You can pick your default icons there. Do the same steps for the .w3x extension.
FileMan.png

Result:
Voilà
Res.jpg

(Extra) Using custom icons:
Step 1:
You can use any Image editing programs that able to save in .png file format. Once, I read at Windows support website that icon files (.ico) should be 256x256 pixels but I'm not sure is that issue still retains on newer Windows versions or not. For example, this is your icon:
icon.png

Step 2:
Convert the .png file into .ico file using this online application. Place the .ico file somewhere.​

Step 3:
To change the file icon, do the same step above, but just pick your icon at the folder where you place your .ico file. After that you are free to delete the .ico file.​

Result:
Voilà
res2.jpg

Last edited:

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Then try to reset it first using this tool: (attached below)

Just open the tool, seek for .w3x, then click "Delete file type". Then retry this tutorial.

If you are not sure, create a "restore point" before deleting the file type. But I guarantee it's totally safe.

Hope it helps.

Attachments

• unassoc_1_4.zip
    51.4 KB · Views: 152