• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why does my Hero die when using the gui function Add Ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Apparently, my Hero dies when I add an ability to it via triggers.
AND IT ONLY HAPPENS WHEN HE REACHES A CERTAIN LEVEL AND I AM VERY SURE IT WAS BECAUSE OF THE ADD ABILITY FUNCTION, I TROUBLESHOOT IT MANY TIMES. PREPLACED HEROES DO NOT SUFFER FROM THIS ERROR. ONLY TO HEROES WHICH IS BOUGHT (Like in AoS maps, hero picking) AND IS STORED TO A UNIT ARRAY.
At first, my heroes were maxed at level 32, and once they reach level 29, they die whenever I add an ability. There is no damage involved, I use looking for help's GUI Damage Detection, and I tried to put a game message to how much damage the hero takes and whose source it is when it dies while I give it an ability. I tried to solve it by lowering the max level to 25. Yes it worked, but only for a while. After continuing to edit my map, the problem started again. Now starting from level 22, the heroes die when I put ability to them.
WHAT IS HAPPENINGGGGGGG:vw_wtf::goblin_cry::goblin_wtf:

Level 3
I dont think its the ability, but it only happens when I add a Spell Book ability to a Hero stored in my Player_Hero[] variable.
EDIT : NOPE EVEN IF THE HERO IS NOT IN THE VARIABLE IT STILL DIES
[trigger=Test]Test
Events
Player - Player 3 (Teal) types a chat message containing remove as An exact match
Conditions
Actions
Unit - Add Spell Book to Player_Hero[(Player number of (Triggering player))][/trigger]

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I remember seeing this before, I forget what the cause was exactly.

Does your spell book contain anything that modifies unit health? Especially the item ability that modifies health? Do you level item ability at all? Does the spellbook contain Chaos based abilities? Do you have any triggers that manipulate unit health or kill units?

Level 3
And now, i just slept for the night, and the my problem was magically solved. my hero don't die anymore. I think my World Editor is just bricked.

EDIT: NOPE THE PROBLEM WAS NOT FIXED, I THOUGHT IT WAS FIXED BECAUSE IT TESTED THE ADD ABILITY TO A LEVEL 25 HERO BUT I CHANGED THE MAXIMUM LEVEL LAST NIGHT (im in GMT+8) TO 32. NOW IT STILL DIES WHEN IT IS IN LEVELS 29-32.

Level 3
What really bothers me is that, when the Hero is not at a certain level. It doesn't die. I don't remember having my triggers based on Hero levels except for my custom Hero spells

Level 3
The Spell Book on that test trigger i use is just the typical wacraft 3 Standard Spell Book that i modified to be a unit ability.

ILH

ILH

Model Reviewer
Level 26
Do not triple post!
use the
edit.gif
button!

can you show the ability u attached to the spellbook?

Level 3
Sorry for the triple post. I have not attached any abilities to the spellbook because that spellbook is the preset spell book. the standard one, it is not custom. and the only thing i edited in that spellbook is to make it a Unit Ability, not an Item Ability. So basically, the abilities attached to the spellbook are the abilities attached by blizzard. it has engtangling roots, breath of fire, etc.

EDIT: I DO NOT KNOW WHATS HAPPENING ANYMORE. LAST TIME I TRIED, A HERO OF MINE DID NOT DIE AT LEVEL 25 WHEN I ADD AN ABILITY. BUT WHEN I PICKED A DIFFERENT HERO, HE DIED AT LEVEL 25.

I SAW SOME THREADS WITH SIMILAR PROBLEMS (Spellbook Suicide) BUT NONE OF THEM HAS A PROPER SOLUTION

I GUESS THIS SPELLBOOK SUICIDE ISSUE IS REALLY A WARCRAFT 3 WORLD EDITOR BUG.
I HAVE FOUND AN ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION [thread=222083]HERE[/thread] AND FORTUNATELY, A SPELLBOOK DOESNT KILL A UNIT IF IT DOESNT HAVE SPELLS IN IT, SO I COULD MAKE THIS SPELLBOOK HAVE 2 LEVELS, HAVING NO SKILLS AT LEVEL 1 AND ADD THE SKILLS ITS SUPPOSED TO HAVE AT LEVEL 2, AND INCREASE ITS LEVEL AFTER I ADDED IT.

THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING +REP!

Last edited:
Level 6
Yeah that happens to me when i was a noob in wc3 the total cause of that is the spell carry 3 spells lets say its a unique item ability (blizzard never know that the spellbook they created is un complete and its total bug this will not be fixed unless a another patch is release and the bug is washed) and the spellbook has its own triggered ability (which is default and you cannot edit it) oh yeah you added the hero the spellbook ability but the spellbook already has added abilities which is the cause of error 2 #

I just read the blizzard about wc3 all of them !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.