• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Special FOG area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
guys i want to create a special fog of war, like in roshan area in dota
UNIT INSIDE cant make their vision/sight to the outside, and so as
unit OUTSIDE cant make their vision into inside area,

| X1X1X1X1X1 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Y
|
| X2 X2 X2 X2 |
|_____________|

normally , Y can see X1 in line
Y unit cant see whole X area, once u got inside X , normal vision within area will go normally....

you have to be inside to gain full sight the whole area,..

now, is it need to use trigger and something related to region?
im trying to use line sight blocker and its works just FINE but NOT EXACTLY...
since it can blocks unit movement , and it have collision.

there i attach SAMPLE map, it blocks graveyard area... try it and im sure u will get what does it mean, and ull notice that even line sight block have some vision leak, and its block units movement, u can open it in WE, and also u can try in any DOTA maps, go to roshan area......

Thx for reading and those for replying :grin::grin:

Attachments

• Special Fog.w3x
    19.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Level 5
okay then, thx...
then it means i cant use that doodads for my special region?

what i want to make is an dark creepy graveyard area that cant be seen from the outside... ( means vision to whole graveyard area )

Level 5
i think that wont work sir,
the means of line i want is just.... BLOCK vision from outside and inside to outside

but when inside, theres no sight blocker at all, its normal area, its just unit outside cant see inside, and otherwise.

so that wont work, if a unit get inside, other unit(enemy) outside can see inside since u remove the line sight blocker to see inside....

Level 5
that will be quite complicated to related those doodads to trigger :(

how about this? i create a neutral passive UNIT, size around hero unit, and i remove the model or just dummy.mdx make the collision 0. give invul and locust ability
will it stand there and block vision since i give it locust?

Level 5
it doesnt work either :( unit wont block sight unless its big or height,
so u suggest using line sight blocker, so how do i put in and remove it? just like in dota? u can enter and reenter the region without feeling any presence of anything, but the sight is limited

btw pls try to look the sample of my map and try the dota version too, maybe ull notice somethng :) and thx for helping me into this issue, coz i really need this kind of system :D , soon ill publish my map.

Level 29
i have never played dota before.

First you need to place the line of sight blockers preferably units as it will be easier. Use bribes unit indexer system. Put the blockers in the spots and check it out to provide a good line of sight blocker. After testing it to make sure it blocks as you wanted you can move to the next step.
With all units in their spot use a point array and store the units in the point array using the units custom value.
Then you can use a unit enter region placed around the area. When a unit enters the region index it into a looping trigger.
In your loop trigger check the position of the unit. If it is inside hide the line of sight blocker. If it is outside unhide the blocker.

Level 5
i cant say that i got all of it but if u dont mind, can u put it all together into my sample map? sorry for the trouble :( maybe there i can easily understnd ur idea
anyway thx for helpng this far

Level 29
Sorry i can't atm got to much stuff to do.
it is simple though bribes unit indexer gives each unit its own custom value.
u use that custom value with a point array to hide or unhide that unit when the other unit gets close to it. This way it simulates a line pathing blocker from one side and nothing on the other side.

Level 5
it is simple though bribes unit indexer gives each unit its own custom value.
u use that custom value with a point array to hide or unhide that unit when the other unit gets close to it. This way it simulates a line pathing blocker from one side and nothing on the other side.

haha nows that the part i dont really get it, could u help describe with GUI trigger function here for a bit? i mean post it
thx bro

Level 5
or maybe someone actually have an idea?
things that blocks vision yet not block others units by its collision, means its walkaable,
whatever it takes, it jst stand there like a tree WITH no collision and vision blocker

thx

Level 5
sry for late reply, but this thread is solved...

theres no need to do triggering or whatever much complicated than editing the "line of sight blocker itself"

first set for walkable to true,
then the most important things, change pathing and other model stuff to none.mdl

then it wont block and dont have collision if im not wrong...also works perfectly like in dota ( for testing and much more detail description )

overall, thx for all contribution...
solved when i checked about latest dota template map, and they dont use trigger....

Status
Not open for further replies.