• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is it Possible to Turn Attachment into Item with trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Have an Idea, If I make a model, Like Item Model, with Glow and Spinning Animation, replace the Actual Item with Attachment Point
(One on the Center, And One Slightly off so that Weapon Attachment can look like on the center)

And then Attach the Attachment (Sword, Shield, Armor) on it, Will it work? I think it will work on Units, but Im not sure about Item, I feel like it is possible to done with Jass, (Or Do I need a Dummy unit to show to effect Instead? :\)
I don't know if Attachment works on Item or not

By doing this, I think maybe we will only need attachment model and can turn most of the attachment into Item with just 1 base model

Im really not sure where to Post this anyway, It's Like in between Trigger, and modeling

Also, Another Idea, If I make a Missile Spinning with the same idea (Attachment And Stuff) and Use Dummy as Projectile, now you can Throw any weapon, I think :O

Is all these Retarded Idea?

Level 24
Attached models (as far as I know) do not use animations except birth, stand and death.
When you add them, they play the birth animation and loop the stand animation. And when you remove it by destroying the special effect, it plays the death animation and vanishes into oblivion when it ends.

What you can do is make an ability based of sphere (remove the missile and missile speed) and add that ability to the item.
When the item is in the inventory, the hero now has the attachment that is placed on sphere. You can add any model to it.

Attached models (as far as I know) do not use animations except birth, stand and death.
When you add them, they play the birth animation and loop the stand animation. And when you remove it by destroying the special effect, it plays the death animation and vanishes into oblivion when it ends.

What I mean Here, Is Attach A attachment Model that meant to be attach at Villager on a Blank Rotating Shining Model (Item), So you can turn any attachment into Fancy Item (Which Only Need Stand Animation :O)

Imagine,
For Example
you take this Model, Remove the Frozen Shield, Add an Attachment, and then you attach This Into the model that we just edited, whala? But I don't know is it possible to attach an attachment on item :O

Level 24
Models are pretty fcked up in WC3 I think.
Models practically consist of 3 things:
1. The Bone (skeleton)
2. The Model
3. The Texture

The Bone has attachment points, animations, collision, etc.
The Bone is practically the behavior of the object.

The Model is the shape of the object.
Every Bone has a Model that can be attached to it.
The Model follows the attachment points of the bone completely.
The Model itself has no animations.

The Texture is a picture that is displayed on the outside of the model.
Every Model has a Texture.
Textures are made to fit with a model.

Skins in games ussually use a different model and texture but always the same bone.
Multiple different units (footman, grunt, bandit, etc) can use the same bone (same behavior/animations) but different models and textures.

The problem is that the Bone and Model are the same thing in WC3.
That is why they are actually completely broken and unusable.
They are put in a .mdl/.mdx file that imports textures.
When you want to use the same bone on a different model, you have to copy and paste it over the .mdl file.
The second problem is that you are not able to change anthing at all in-game.
The only thing that can do that are destructibles because they have a replaceable texture file. The model however cannot be changed.

Level 13
What I mean Here, Is Attach A attachment Model that meant to be attach at Villager on a Blank Rotating Shining Model (Item), So you can turn any attachment into Fancy Item (Which Only Need Stand Animation :O)

Imagine,
For Example
you take this Model, Remove the Frozen Shield, Add an Attachment, and then you attach This Into the model that we just edited, whala? But I don't know is it possible to attach an attachment on item :O
I don't think that you can attach an attachment on an item.. because there's no such actions..

Level 24
Well... it somehow doesn't work.
I tried with a unit model as item model (so I definately have attachment points)
I displayed the name of the item (so I have got the right item value)
I also attached the same model on the same point on a unit next to it (so I have the proper point and model)

The unit has the attachment but the item does not.

Level 21
no you cant add attachments to item models through the editor there is no native that allows you to.

JASS:
native AddSpecialEffectTarget takes string modelName, widget targetWidget, string attachPointName returns effect
This is the native that should do it, but for some reason doesn't. Items are widgets though, so it's some kind of undocumented exception.

Someone actually once made the model he's describing. It was called "ItemGlow" or something similar to that. It had an attachment point on an animated area that would spin, so that any attachment could be turned into an item. I came across this thread trying to find it myself. Does anyone remember this model/know where to find it?

I have it, will send you later, the problem is the trigger part, need a system to make it work, anyone wanna give it a try?

Status
Not open for further replies.