• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Nominate your favorite spell of all time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Provisions:
  • You can nominate either spells or systems.
  • You can nominate as many resource as you want.
  • Nominee should come from Hiveworkshop's spell section only.
  • Nominee should have been approved by moderator already.
  • One nominee can only enter the hall if there are more than 3 votes on it.
  • Nominees will be ranked (ascending) based on earned votes.
  • Resources' user and moderator ratings will be displayed in the list but do not affect their ranks.
  • There is no limitation for the list. We can have even 100 or more nominees.

How to nominate:
Simply mention the resource's name and link to the thread. And also describe a little why do you vote for it (mandatory).
Example:

Name: Something (Supposed not to attach resource's version)
Special impression:
The most modular thing I have ever seen. Brilliant idea has joined together with fluent execution. Is perfectly coded, supported by bunch of diligent features, and highly customize-able by users.​
Personal rating (optional): 5/5 - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

BB-code:
Code:
[plain][B]Name:[/B] [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/"]Something[/URL] 

[B]Special impression:[/B]

[INDENT]The most modular thing I have ever seen.
Brilliant idea has joined together with fluent execution.
Is perfectly coded, supported by bunch of diligent features,
and highly customize-able by users.[/INDENT]

[B]Personal rating:[/B] 5/5 - [COLOR="Green"][B]HIGHLY RECOMMENDED[/B][/COLOR][/plain]

halloffame.jpg

Rank[TD]Name[TD]Votes[TD]User Rating[TD]Moderator Rating
[tr][td]
[td][td][td][td]
[tr][td]
[td][td][td][td]
[tr][td]
[td][td][td][td]
[tr][TD]

FAQ:
  • What is this?
    • This is a life time list of top-class spell resources of THW. Actually, I hope there is a smarter way to do this (update-able polling to collect votes).
  • On earth I do this?
    • Simply because our rating system does not describe well enough about the actual quality of spell resources from our database.
  • The goal?
    • To show-off that spell section is one of the best section not only in the Hive, but compared to other programming sites, our qualities are absolutely comparable.
  • What are we doin' here?
    • We are nominating our favorite spells of all time, not debating about them or even something else.

Level 37
It's a shame but my favorite spells were removed from the site because of too many leaks. Back then we made awesome looking spells without caring about leaks, the effectivity of the code and if the spell is MUI or not. Back then we had ideas like Omnislash, Super Nova and all kind of super effect spamming spells.

Actually I even made a cinematic just to show how awesome spells were made. The cinematic itself isn't anywhere near good, but I just got motivated by the awesome spells Hive made years ago.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
It's a shame but my favorite spells were removed from the site because of too many leaks. Back then we made awesome looking spells without caring about leaks, the effectivity of the code and if the spell is MUI or not. Back then we had ideas like Omnislash, Super Nova and all kind of super effect spamming spells.

Actually I even made a cinematic just to show how awesome spells were made. The cinematic itself isn't anywhere near good, but I just got motivated by the awesome spells Hive made years ago.

I saw 2 eye-catching spells there. They are beautiful indeed. But after I looked into the code, then I changed my mind :p It doesn't look even like a spell. Except if you edited the spell to fits your cinematic needs.

Of course Man Eating Plant! :p

nvm...

xD

It's kinda disappointing indeed. But I can write some short of honorable mentions.
But quality is quality. Only top class spells can enter the real hall. :thumbs_up:

Okay this is horrible. I have tried to surf deeper into ancient THW's spell submissions and they are even worse than what I have imagined :( That was the first time I clicked "Approved" only category, and the result was so shocking. Only 52 pages was filtered out from total of 101 pages. That means the spell section contains (101-52-3(pendings)) = 46 pages of needs fix spells!!! OMG :xxd:. So am I need to remove some constraints? :grin:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

So am I need to remove some constraints?
Yes, cuz only spell worth of real nomination is the plant, I can see the creator has had some hard times coding it.

To hell with roflcopter, it gave me ebola.

Level 33
I saw 2 eye-catching spells there. They are beautiful indeed. But after I looked into the code, then I changed my mind :p It doesn't look even like a spell. Except if you edited the spell to fits your cinematic needs.
Well, to be honest... these situations what made my signature, alive.

Spam effect here and there, spinning vortex of burning legion from the sky, drilling effect from the ground and spiralling chunks of lava flying all across the AOE of the Spell Target point... but in the end, the spell only does: Deal 500 damage to all units in the area

I value Spell Functionality more than Eye-candy.

And of course if you let someone (not domain expert on coding/functionality), to compare between Spell A (>Eye-candy) and Spell B (>Functionality), they would 300% vote Spell A.
They fail to see the complexity of Spell B, but rather choose the beautiful Spell A.
Of course, we know, to create that kind of "effect" need some complexity algorithm too, but that's just it, just an effect nothing more.

We are nominating our favorite spells of all time, not debating about them or even something else.
Oh shi--, better run!
Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.