• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texture bug when uploading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 65
Ladies & Gentlemen, I beseech ye for aid! Whenever I upload my model, see below.

The second is the initial product (what I see in my model editor) the first is what you lot apparently see when you download it. What in the name of Jerry's goolies is going on here?

Note: When you press 'view in 3d' it renders in black (missing texture)

Attachments

• oO.jpg
    oO.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 213
  • Saruman2.png
    Saruman2.png
    142 KB · Views: 201

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
How does it look in game? That is the only view that matters.

All third party viewers attempt to simulate the in-game render but do so imperfectly due to a lack of technical detail about how WC3 produces frames. As such it is possible for a model to work in game yet appear a mess in a third party model viewer.

You really need to provide the model in question to the third party model viewer maintainers so that they can try and find out where the flaw is with their rendering.

Level 65
Salutations, ghost-wolf. I request you keep your snarky attitude to yourself for the time being.

As for the model/problem displayed here, I've abandoned the model and have since deleted it.

Though I still don't know what caused this to happen during the upload, I have since raised my standards and model editing/making methods, so I don't think this'll be a problem anymore.

In-game on my end, it worked fine, though it had a bit of a hefty filesize. On the downloader's end, it would crash editors, look like a mess in-game, or work just fine even though everybody got the same file at the time.

I think I know what caused the texture error though, I believe that warcraft III doesn't incorporate the x mirror skins that are displayed in MdlVis, so it ends up corrupting the file. The way to fix that is via taking the UV wrap and moving it all onto the same tile of the skin.

I've still no idea why people were getting different results on their end, it should've been fine. But "Should" and "Would" build no bridges and so it was rejected and deleted.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Salutations, ghost-wolf. I request you keep your snarky attitude to yourself for the time being.
GhostWolf maintains the model section "View in 3D" previewer. You are complaining about it not rendering correctly with it yet do not link the model for him to debug.

In-game on my end, it worked fine, though it had a bit of a hefty filesize. On the downloader's end, it would crash editors, look like a mess in-game, or work just fine even though everybody got the same file at the time.

I've still no idea why people were getting different results on their end, it should've been fine. But "Should" and "Would" build no bridges and so it was rejected and deleted.
The MAC version of WC3 renders differently from the Windows version. Like wise Windows version running Direct3D renders differently from Windows version running OpenGL. Usually the differences are too small to notice however if the model used a not well defined feature of WC3 it could result in such problems.

Alternatively it could be that somehow the file was corrupted during upload (eg maybe it did not upload completely, or connection was temporarily lost). Hence when people downloaded it they got a corrupted file which would not work as intended. Re-uploading should have fixed this.

Even if you deleted the model (rejected models are not deleted, users have to delete their own resources) it can still be recalled. Even if you do not want to have anything to do with the model now, people might still be able to investigate what the problem was.

Status
Not open for further replies.