• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Convert Image to Vector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
So I just started some light image editting. I was thinking in theory that if you could convert a bitmap image into vector, then you could increase the image resolution without losing any quality (stretching).

If the computer converts the image into a forumale (vector) surely it can be done?

It's possible, but to some extent. If you use very simple images, you'll get good results. If you use photos, artwork and such, you'll lose a lot of detail. Vectors aren't capable of smooth gradients and transitions.

I always thought this kind of technology (resizing photos to larger resolution without losing quality) already existed... It haven't?

Level 1
Hi there
I have never tried to convert image to vector.I know there are many image converter.But i want to get a powerful image tool which supports to convert image to vector directly online.Thanks for any suggestions.

Level 16
I always thought this kind of technology (resizing photos to larger resolution without losing quality) already existed... It haven't?

Only in TV shows.

So what is the verdict, Is it possible (in real life that is lol)? Thought you said to some extent you can increase the resolution losslessly?

Hi there
I have never tried to convert image to vector.I know there are many image converter.But i want to get a powerful image tool which supports to convert image to vector directly online.Thanks for any suggestions.

A popular image editting software is GIMP. It is free.

http://www.gimp.org/

Somebody else may provide some other programs too.

So what is the verdict, Is it possible (in real life that is lol)? Thought you said to some extent you can increase the resolution losslessly?

I already explained - if you use very simple stuff, then yes. Photos, artwork and anything detailed - no, because vectors aren't capable of rendering smooth color transitions.

Well, it isn't really possible (technically, standard image up-sizing is lossless, but I assume you mean for it to retain quality), except in specific cases. One of those cases is vectors, because they are defined by paths and shapes, and they are designed so that they can be scalable and retain the same general shape.

With that in mind, you might think: why isn't everything a vector? Can't you make it a vector?

There are many answers to that. Vectors often contain additional info and require particular programs to create. Your every day photo won't be a vector. It is possible to "vectorize" images that already exist, but it won't quite be the desired result. See this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vectorization_(image_tracing)
It shows comparisons of vectorization tools on an image. Sadly, you can't upsize without some sort of instructions on how to do it--otherwise it just becomes guesswork or uses a generalized algorithm. e.g. When you are browsing on an iPad or iPhone, you can zoom in an abnormal amount onto the text without any noticeable quality loss. There are clear instructions on how to resize text. However, for any general image, they have to resort to a general method.

In the end, there might be some technology/algorithms in the future to improve the guess-work and the overall quality, but I don't see it being possible to get an arbitrary image and upsize it without it looking weird or blurry.

Level 1
Hi there
I have never tried to convert image to vector.I know there are many
image converter.But i want to get a powerful image tool which supports to convert image to vector directly online.Thanks for any suggestions.
Hi, Donna111.
Have you ever cheked some of the image converters already? Did you have some recommendations?

Regards,
Arron

Level 12
In theory, you can convert images such as Bitmaps to Vectors and still retain perfect quality if you do it right. But currently, the only way to do that is manually. So it could take a very long time. =o

Just Copy/Paste an image into a Vector Image Editor then run over everything with vector paths perfectly. xD

Level 17
There is a number of auto tracing softwares that can do it automatically, the results range from very good to very bad depending on the quality and complexity of the source image and the complexity and numbers of levels of the final trace.
In theory you could, automatic vectorization splits gradients into sploshes of solid color, the higher precision and the higher amount of levels you set the better the result.

There are specialized applications that can do it quite well, obviously they are also priced accordingly, Vector Magic is one of such softwares.
Autotrace is actually used often, such as those that are part of corel draw or illustrator but they more often than not result in extra hours fixing the results.
The deciding factor is quality of the image rather than it's complexity, awful jpg artifacting is the main culprit behind shitty traces.

Status
Not open for further replies.