• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Add (not replace) custom Uber Splat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hey all, this is my first time posting here (unless I did so on an old account many years ago when I first got into map making), so forgive me for not getting all the rules correct. From what I have attempted thus far, I think I'm correct to put this question in the texturing and surfacing forum.

I have a simple idea. I want to basically make a custom uber splat texture for the buildings of my custom race.

If you look at the C_HumanCastleUberSplat.bmp texture which is used for the ground texture on the castle, View attachment HumanCastleUberSplat.blp you can see that the castle-ish texture would be where I would want to put my new texture in. For example I would like to put the Cityscape-Black Marble texture in place of that.

Opening it up in Gimp, I added a layer with the black marble and made it fit over the castle area (I might have deleted the original castle area) then saved and converted to .blp with WC3 Viewer. If you're wanting to try this yourself you might do it more professionally because I'm a total noob at this. View attachment BlackMarbleSplatCastle_old.blp

Looking at this thread: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...98/problem-ground-textures-ubersplats-191408/ I saw how to use the SLK file to add an ubersplat, and where all the original ubersplats are located. I was able to shift-click edit the texture and put in the 4-letter name and it successfully showed an atypical ground texture, but one that has a path in the original MPQ file.

The guy in that post implements the Uber Splat with a trigger, similar to attaching it to a unit it seems like...is this the only way to do without directly modifying the MPQ texture files? Treat it like a special effect kind of?

My question is, is it possible to use a custom imported texture IN ADDITION to the original ground textures? Is this possible by editing the MPQ file?

Level 4
May not be urgent anymore, but what do you mean by "in addition to"

If you mean having the aditional ubersplat, instead of the original under your building, you have to import a changed slk file, whith the new ubersplat and a path for it added. Now you have to import the texture file you want displayed under your building and change it's path in the editor to the path you saved in the SLK file (Just to be frank I haven't tried if it actually works, but from what I know about the games systems it should.) Then you have to shift + click the ubersplat section of your unit and type in what ever ID you chose for your Ubersplat.

If you mean having two textures used at the same time under your building, that is impossible. What you can do is edit the texture file in gimp for example and just add your new texture to the original one or vice versa.

And one important information, NEVER change the MPQ for any changes you want made in your map. The MPQ is the main database for the game and includes the original files of the game. If you change anything here you will only have local changes, meaning if you add or change something in the MPQ only you will see this in your local game. If someone else would play your map they would not have the rquired files.

Status
Not open for further replies.