• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
It's out there! I dedicate this one to eImtoR.

Attachments

• The Truth.png
    The Truth.png
    963 KB · Views: 344
Level 10
@Duke: Well, I think, that the UFO is much bigger. The reason it seems small is, that might be quite farther away from the house than it looks like. It has to do with perspective.

Something that might be a nice addition to the perspective, would be a beam coming from the bottom of the UFO. Something like a transport beam, if you get what I mean. If you then would place some unit inside the beam (it should look like a black silhouette) this might also add to the perspective and would make the UFO look much bigger if the unit is small enough.

Level 10
@Duke: Well, I think, that the UFO is much bigger. The reason it seems small is, that might be quite farther away from the house than it looks like. It has to do with perspective.

yeah I get that, my point was that it looks more like it's small than big and far away. I don't know why

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

UFO activity? Heresy! Where be my interceptors!

Jokes aside, I really like the concept and the execution, very eerie atmosphere and
all around great balance of lighting, Some searchlight-like downward projects or smaller crafts in the distance
could be added though. Also, plenty of space for a moon or an
interceptor fighter *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*.

Level 36
Something that might be a nice addition to the perspective, would be a beam coming from the bottom of the UFO.

Oh please no. Those UFO "beams" are so damn cliché, I'm pretty certain I don't
have to tell you not to add a beam, flad, but don't.

-

Also, I think there isn't a moon for the exact same reason there wasn't a moon in my
"House on a Hill" terrain. It'd distract the focal point from the UFO to the moon, and,
besides, not every starry night-sky NEEDS a moon.

That all aside, I like it. I agree that there could be something closer to the flying saucer
to make it seem a little more... Majestic. Preferably smaller space ships or something
of the sort. Certainly not search lights/gravity beams.

And, well. The UFO itself, while I absolutely love the underside lighting, could be a little
more... Creative. Maybe add some detail to the top or sides to make it less like a classical
UFO and more like a fladderinvented creation of genius?

Level 25
Scully remains skeptical, but Mulder is dancing in his underwear at the sight of this.

I imagine an intergalactic vehicle so close to the ground emitting a lot of force and ripping up the terrain below it. Or at least ripples/waves would give it more of a presence.

Level 10
if I remember it right, Talavaj uploaded a water ground texture in his thread. It could be useful to make the water look "moving" by lowering/raising the ground?

Level 36
For the "water tile", I'm pretty sure that was experimental images only, I don't think he
released the texture. Regardless, if memory serves, it'd be pretty damn hard to make it
work for scenic terraining.

-

And about the ripples, it's obvious you haven't tried them yet, Tickles :)
They don't scale, and they're extremely tricky to work with. On low scale,
as ripples around small objects, they're great, but as I said: You can't make
them larger.

Level 10
for the water tile, take a look here ;)

And yes Keiji, I guess it still would be pretty hard. Actually the best way to make the water look moving in a scenic terrain IMO, would be to create (unanimated) wave models which you then can place. In this case I also think you could go with not transparent water.

Status
Not open for further replies.