• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Legendary Terrains

Level 8
Gotta love how my comment was completely ignored.
- Considering it comes over to me as more offensive than anything Flad said.

Sometimes, silence is in itself a statement.
Your comment wasn't ignored, not by me at least.
I just didn't have anything to add to what you said.
You asked a question, which i didn't know the answer to, because i didn't realize there was a difference in the terrains displayed in this thread, so i couldn't answer as to, if i suggested it for "top 10" or "legendary" since i still do not understand the difference.
And also, since you have already decided that the terrain i suggested isn't good enough, why should i answer it? It made no sense to me..
As for the second part of your comment, it was your opinion, what do i have to add to another person's opinion?

So, i simply chose not to say anything.

Level 34
People should nominate, and whoever is in charge can make a decision. I guess someone needs to go get permissions. I might not be a great choice since I'm going to be on low activity for 2 months due to work.

Level 35
Alrighty comrades, terrainers and lovers.

We're going to revive the Top Ten Terrains List, and uncle Keiji want's YOU on it.
Keep terraining, get better, produce quality and you'll eventually end up on a list
among other great terrainers, for glory and praise.

I'd like you all to visit fladder's thread: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/top-10-terrain-nominations-237093/
And start posting your nominations for the list, we're going to update it shortly,
be sure your terrain is nominated, lest it won't be there when we update it!

Edit: Also, updated this thread somewhat, now the top ten list is at the top and the legendary terrains part is at the bottom.
I did this because it just makes more sense, seeing as the top ten list is a contemporary thing whereas the legendary terrains
part haven't been changed in ages and probably won't be changed in ages either. I also fixed thedeathunterxx's terrain, so now
it's previewed correctly. Sorry for any inconveniences that's been making for you, but we've not had a bloody moderator in a
while.

Last edited:
Level 35
...shortly after.

So, now I've (finally) updated the list with the final scores from the Jury, so if it looks a little different from the poll, then that's why.

We'll be updating the list again sometime around christmas/winter vacation, or in the spring. Whatever suits me best,
suffice to say: Keep terraining, who knows, maybe you'll end up on the Top Ten Terrains list!

Level 35
How hard is it to go find them yourselves through the "Complete List of Terrain Galleries" thread?
Also, I see no purpose in keeping a list of which old terrains that's been on the list, but I'll see what I can arse myself into doing >.>
- So much gratitude...

Edit: Alright, added high res links to all the top ten terrains, now,
persuade me to add a list of past entries and I MIGHT do it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Well, maybe not in the top 10 list but they should maybe be listed in the hall of fame.

Level 35
No, that'd defeat the entire purpose of the top ten list.

It's meant to be a temporary spotlight thing,
as to entice terrainers to keep terraining if they want
to keep staying on the list, and if you really want to
view the terrains again, you are more than welcome
to find them in their respective galleries.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

okay, but that raises the question why are the other terrains beneath the list still there? Shouldn't they be replaced the others who didn't make it into the top 10 but got votes?

Level 35
okay, but that raises the question why are the other terrains beneath the list still there? Shouldn't they be replaced the others who didn't make it into the top 10 but got votes?

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but if you're talking about the Legendary Terrains part, then my only answer to that is that it is separate from the top ten list.

The Top Ten Terrains is a dynamic listing of simple viewing pleasure, while the Legendary Terrains are timeless pieces in the sense that they all represent a cornerstone of the evolution of terraining. These are pioneers, terrains that brought forth new techniques or others. That's why.

Maybe I'll look into updating it a tad, to make that clearer.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Of course it's warcraft. What else would it be? :)

Level 13
What do you think about this terrain?

1185012_155818567957456_301704460_n.jpg

The Project is called "Forsaken Bastion's Fall"

Reg.

Level 35
Looks decent, however please don't use this thread to advertise your project.
- If you want to show your project, then make a thread about it.

If you want to nominate something for the Legendary Terrains list then make that clear,
and if your intention is to nominate something for the Top Ten List then we have a separate
thread for that. Now, shoo.

Level 13
Looks decent, however please don't use this thread to advertise your project.
- If you want to show your project, then make a thread about it.

If you want to nominate something for the Legendary Terrains list then make that clear,
and if your intention is to nominate something for the Top Ten List then we have a separate
thread for that. Now, shoo.

Sry for that. I just want to show it and i want a feedback from u. Not more. I've a thread in the development section. So, sry sry!!!

Level 35
No need apologizing.

You'll likely get a better host of replies and opinions on your project if you make an actual project development thread about it.
I guess that's what most people having a project these days don't understand, sure you have one in Project Development,
but you'll get more specific criticism if you make separate threads about the separate parts of the project in their respective sections,
like here in the Terrain Board you could make a thread about the terrain progress.

Level 5
The top 10 legendary terrains was updated. Wow, it's great!
It needs to be upgraded, too. Well, it's necessary!

I know "whenever a new batch of terrains was to be announced" and some terrains among them which we judge it's a legend then we need a jury to justify them. Ok, here they are. And what about the former legendary terrains?

Sure, they are legends in that period. However they are NOT here. How a newcomer know about them? At that time, we didn't have as many tools as we have now, even what we need had been created yet. We still had legendary terrains. Is that right?

Nowaday, we have enough resources to build our idea like rip models, H-res pack... We have many clearly tutorial, many "reflected, skilled and knowledgeable" members who are always ready to provide usefull advises. To compare with the old time, it's a bit unfair?

In sort and follow my opinion, we should estimate the terrains by its period, too. Or at least, have a reference to them. They worth a honour place in here!

Keiji said:
persuade me to add a list of past entries and I MIGHT do it.

Keiji said:
It's meant to be a temporary spotlight thing,
as to entice terrainers to keep terraining if they want
to keep staying on the list, and if you really want to
view the terrains again, you are more than welcome
to find them in their respective galleries.

Thank you and void, we have the complete list of terrains. We can found many respective terrains in there. I or anyone visit that theard can organize top ten list what we like.
With this theard, not only to show our regard to great terrainers but also we have a list what is ordered by terrain skill <<< What really important here.

What you think you like maybe not to be what you need!
For me, when i was a newbie and saw the old top ten terrains, i wondered they are listed with the right order =)) Long time later, i relized the reason why they are order like that. Nor less, they are judged by a whole jury

If we can't hear the judges from the jury, show us the list have order please
:((

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 35
Don't double post.

Anyway, uh... I don't actually honestly know what to answer to that.
You're being very unclear and contradictory in your statements. But
for the sake of answering, I'll do my very best to make some things
clear:

Basically, the "Top Ten Terrains List" and "Legendary Terrains" was once two separate threads,
though during my former run as Moderator I merged those threads to clean up the stickies,
because I don't like having too many stickies, better tidy than messy, I say.
I actually don't really get why people get confused by this, really.

As I've previously phrased the difference:

The Top Ten Terrains is a dynamic listing of simple viewing pleasure, while the Legendary Terrains are timeless pieces in the sense that they all represent a cornerstone of the evolution of terraining. These are pioneers, terrains that brought forth new techniques or others.

I hope that might have made things clearer, and if not,
maybe provide me a clearer line of questions, eh? :)

Level 5
SR for messing here ^^! I just replied before reading old comments then i quoted ... etc...

I got a bit confused for sure =.=. Seem clearer now. Maybe the cause is how simple and no bold point they are...

What i want to say:
Because of you said they belong to different periods with differences in techniques and others.
It's better to have Top Ten Terrains List 2000-2010 and top ten 2010 til now or something like that, isn't is?

Level 15
Wow, looking at this thread really takes me back. I remember when all of the original highlights in this thing were created.

Having moved on to stand-alone development, it still amazes me to see just what we were able to accomplish with such a limited toolset. It's a prime example of creativity and ingenuity; working within the bounds given.

Level 35
A traitor, that's what you are.

No, but really, good to see you Deathcom3s!

And, heh, yeah. The truly wicked thing is that some of us
actually still make terrains from time to time. You know...
Us guys who didn't go further into game development and
decided to do other things. It's kind of weird how, after all
this time, I still find myself mashing up some doodads and
making a pretty picture :p

Level 35
Update:

- Fixed the fuzz-cluster, this time it should never go sour again.
- Changed the set-up of the top ten terrains:
-- Instead of having the name in the title, there is now a name
with a link beneath the terrain.

Oh, and... We'll start doing the next list Soon----ish™

Level 34
You can always PM the creators. Most of the guys are willing to share with you.

Do note that most of these terrains are not created to be viewed at all angles. Usually they are made to be viewed at the angle that you see. Not that it wouldn't be cool to be able to look at their maps.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Like Gilles said, most people would share their work with the public in parts. While some pieces are kept private, to keep the magic under wrap.

I think this thread is a good place to start, along with the guidelines and tutorials in here.

If you play around for long enough in the editor, most of the basics should be clear just from looking at the screencaps.