• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Toby light engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
The Toby light engine! Terrains!

No big deal, just some simple terrain from my future projects. (these pictures are old)
They aren't supposed to be some mythical or fantastic terrains, just some screen captures from my maps whic use the "Toby light engine".
(No photoshop used!)

210613-albums5089-picture51464.jpg

210613-albums5089-picture51467.jpg

210613-albums5089-picture51466.jpg

210613-albums5089-picture51465.jpg

210613-albums5089-picture51460.jpg

210613-albums5089-picture51461.jpg

210613-albums5089-picture51462.jpg

210613-albums5089-picture51463.jpg

210613-albums5089-picture51454.jpg

210613-albums5085-picture51441.jpg

210613-albums5089-picture51472.jpg

210613-albums5079-picture51364.jpg

210613-albums5079-picture51360.jpg

210613-albums5079-picture51357.jpg

210613-albums5079-picture51343.jpg

210613-albums5079-picture51341.jpg

210613-albums5079-picture51340.jpg

210613-albums5079-picture51339.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
210613-albums5078-picture51426.jpg

210613-albums5078-picture51422.jpg
Please give a comment!

I guess uploading a demo map just for the heck of it wont hurt!
coming soon

Last edited:
Level 36
...I'm speechless. Those terrains look like CryEngine on low settings.
Kudos to you sir, you deserve a cookie. Factory.

Actually, that idea never entered my mind when viewing these terrains, the bit about Cryenging, anyways... >.>

The terrain is mediocre as you say yourself, and the only thing I wonder about is how you managed to create so exact shadows in the "knight fight" picture.

Level 16
I would consider it mediocre and a bit lower than that but please note that these are old pictures. The shadows are actually "baked textures" made in 3dsmax and exported in wc3 (I`l post a tutorial in the future for this).

Thank you for the comments, maybe i'll try makeing some real terrain sometime soon.

Level 51
The terrain and everything look really nice, aswell as the models.

But to call it a "Engine", is slightly snotty :p

As you already explained in your tutorial you are just added an additive material to your models, and the textures do the rest.

It does look really nice though, no demand.

And even though I'm totally amazed of that shadow in the knight picture, why is the knight not gettin darker while he is standing in the shadow?

Level 16
The terrain and everything look really nice, aswell as the models.

But to call it a "Engine", is slightly snotty :p

As you already explained in your tutorial you are just added an additive material to your models, and the textures do the rest.

It does look really nice though, no demand.

And even though I'm totally amazed of that shadow in the knight picture, why is the knight not gettin darker while he is standing in the shadow?

1.Sorry! just had to give it a name. (I'm not really saying it's actually a "Engine")
2.The knight not gettin darker... That's because the stairs and floor do not have actual lighting, It is an object with baked textures exported from max to wc3.
WC3 can't do that kind of thing with shadows, UNFORTUNATELY!
3.I`l post a tutorial on this to. (this shadow method is not very efficient but it's the only way i can think of to achieve this effect)
3,2. Tutorial: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tutorial-submission-283/how-add-extra-light-your-map-toby-light-engine-205683/
4.Thanks for the curiosity!:wink:

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
The mountains and the water in the "Island" showcase are the only real hooks, shed some light on those matters.

I'm pretty sure the only thing mediocre is the spam of rips.
I am actually pretty sure the only thing mediocre (if anything) is the terraining in itself. The textures are fucking lovely, the tile brushwork is fine and the composition is immaculate enough to appeal. But it's really not like I have to jag my eyesockets or anything.

- By my reckoning it's an average piece of work.

Level 16
Lolz! and this was all to just show off the textures and light, didn't think it get so much attention. Maybe i should start on some real terrains... And what do you mean by "spam of rips"? Not everything in there are rips sure there are some but... hm! WATEVA!

List of rips:

A. The Island

-rips-
1. palm trees, both types
2. vegetation
3. sky
4. wow models

-no rips-
1. rocks
2. tiles
3. the lonely tree
5. others

B. Knights Fighting!

-rips-
1. Knights

-no rips-
1. others

C. Farm

-rips-
1. Call of Duty textures
2. vegetation

-no rips-
1. others

D. Parck

-rips-
1. wow models
2. park bench and lantern
3. car 1
4. painkiller textures (1 or 2)

-no rips-
1. others

That's it!

Level 22
The mountains and the water in the "Island" showcase are the only real hooks, shed some light on those matters.

I am actually pretty sure the only thing mediocre (if anything) is the terraining in itself. The textures are fucking lovely, the tile brushwork is fine and the composition is immaculate enough to appeal. But it's really not like I have to jag my eyesockets or anything.

- By my reckoning it's an average piece of work.

Well, looking back at it for another few times, the terrain work is kind of dull with really nothing going for it except rips and good work with the sky. The Island and Knights Fighting are the only two that really make me say "Holy shit how'd he do that!?"

Level 16
And i thought that you guys missed something! The background mountains and water is just a sky box.:am: Sorry to disappoint you fladdermasken but your on a mediocre thread with mediocre people and I'm just making a mediocre joke!:ogre_hurrhurr:

Don't worry I'll make something really awesome in the future.
PS: My map hase http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/asian-garden-204004/ has real water reflection. It doesn't show in the screenshots but you'll be in for a surprise when you start playing my map when it's finished (it has lots of EfeX).

And there is no photoshop in any of my images!!!
There are people on the hive that made way more awesome graphics than I did.

Level 22
And i thought that you guys missed something! The background mountains and water is just a sky box.:am: Sorry to disappoint you fladdermasken but your on a mediocre thread with mediocre people and I'm just making a mediocre joke!:ogre_hurrhurr:

Don't worry I'll make something really awesome in the future.
PS: My map hase http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/asian-garden-204004/ has real water reflection. It doesn't show in the screenshots but you'll be in for a surprise when you start playing my map when it's finished (it has lots of EfeX).

And there is no photoshop in any of my images!!!
There are people on the hive that made way more awesome graphics than I did.

Skybox? I know roughly what it is, and I don't see a reason for it being a bad thing, tons of games use skyboxes, in fact I think the fact that he made a custom one, or ripped one lol, is a very good thing and a polish that makes the terrain better.

Level 7
I agree with fladdermasken. You guys are just misinterpreting what hes saying. Hes just saying that the skybox looks unrealistic--i.e. you can tell the skybox mountains are not real looking so it makes the whole thing look unrealistic.

The other skyboxes that you used looked better. The mountains one just kinda doesn't fit at all.

Level 16
I know I'm insisting on this fladdermasken but you ever considered using a full sky box with clouds on the bottom side? By using http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/using-reflections-terraining-171148/ and adding a skybox you can improve the looks of your reflection efect. So I was thinking this could become like a playeble water reflection system and you could add the option to keep or remove the inverted doodads If for example you don't have good computer because it drains resources and keep just the sky reflection and vice versa.
People with awesome computers could chose to play with complete water reflections.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WATCH THIS!!!

Level 17
dunno the surface lacks detail, seams around the edges are way too rough and so are the planes to simulate volumetric transparency, especially if the water is shallow.
Well not like we can be too picky, considering the filesize a custom animated water would have.

Level 16
This Terrain sucks!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thedeathunterxx, I like your terrains!

Total_Warrior, The tree models are from a free modeling site, I won't upload them until I make some modifications, don't know if using free models is ok! I'll think about uploading theme.
I'll upload my hq tiles at least!

the terrains are more impressive in the sense of visuals of imported textures and stuff rather than technique and stuff. pretty obvious you used a skybox for the mountains and stuff when the hills have distance fog and the mountains don't in one of the pictures. Nonetheless, it is a very admirable skybox, i always wanted a sweet mountain background like that tbh. If you work on the terrain with more technique and further textures and more refined work, it could look pretty spectacular in the end.
on the actual "light engine" - isn't it just setdaynightmodels...? (in the park at least). On that note, i'd use less light. the purpose of that kind of thing is to have only small areas lit up, but putting detail everywhere to give it a good mysterious etc effect. I've done a fair bit of work with it in my time, and you should definitely put more thought into the areas of lighting.
the reflective water from the underneath skybox is very impressive though, that's a great idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.