• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SoJ's Playable Terrain Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
211785-albums5481-picture91536.png

Introduction

Just a bunch of screenshots from my playable terrains. This thread still doesn't contain all my playable terrains that I'm currently working with but I will slowly put them up one by one and maybe also include the terrains from my projects on the map development forum and if I'm lucky, although I already doubt it, find some of my old playable terrains that I didn't release from my pc since I swept everything on my laptop when I reformatted it months ago(even lost my freaking Dwarf's Tale
211785-albums5481-picture65563.gif
). Anyway, everything here is still bound to change so feedback and suggestions are always welcome.

Anyhow, have fun browsing my terrains.
211785-albums5481-picture68894.gif

I will also use this thread to post WIP of current terrains.

[SRPG]Journey's Lore

Arntaria
Arntaria - 1.jpg [c] Arntaria - 2.jpg [r] Arntaria - 3.jpg [c] Arntaria - 4.jpg [r] Arntaria - 5.jpg [c] Arntaria - 6a.jpg

Alcia Village
Alcia Village - 1.jpg [c] Alcia Village - 2.jpg

Alcia Cave
Alcia Cave - 1.jpg [c] Alcia Cave - 2.jpg [r] Alcia Cave - 3.jpg [c] Alcia Cave - 4.jpg

Aldigor Swamp
Aldigor Swamp - 1.jpg [c] Aldigor Swamp - 2.jpg [r] Aldigor Swamp - 3.jpg [c] Aldigor Swamp - 4.jpg

Random Area
Random Area - 1.jpg [c] Random Area - 2.jpg [r] Random Area - 3.jpg [c] Random Area - 4.jpg

[SRPG]Xheora - Figures of the Path

Terrain from Chapter 1
Xheora - 1.jpg [c] Xheora - 2.jpg [c] Xheora - 3.jpg [r] Xheora - 4.jpg [c] Xheora - 5.jpg [c] Xheora - 6.jpg
Xheora - 7.jpg

[SRPG]Half-Baked Steamy

Random Areas
HB-Steampunk - 1.jpg [c] HB-Steampunk - 2.jpg [r] HB-Steampunk - 3.jpg [c] HB-Steampunk - 4.jpg

The Legend of Van Eastmore and Barren Clash

11-05-14: Alcia Cave - 4: Tinted down the waterfall.
11-05-14: Added New Terrain Gallery "Xheora - Figures of the Path"
11-06-14: Added New Terrain Gallery "Half-Baked Steamy"
11-06-14: Added Journey's Lore - Arntaria - 6
11-20-14: Added link to "TLoVE" and "Barren Clash" post

Last edited:
Level 28
Very Skyrim-ish and lovely. Overall the terrains are just pure eyegasm :p

Thanks.;) You and my two brothers just said the same thing with it being a Skyrim-ish. I guess 2 years of playing that game really influenced me. Although I love to think that this is also influenced by many of the RPG games that I've played recently.

The swamp parts could use some willow trees for more fabulousness :>

I guess I'll do that. I think I have some good willow trees here somewhere.

Anyway, I think I'll put my terrains from my Valkyrie RPG and The Formless maps next.

Level 25
Looks like really fun RPG layouts :pwink: I really like the snow laid out on some of the rocks and buildings. The lighting in Alcia Village gives nice, cozy vibes.

One issue that really stood out is that Alcia Cave has a blue waterfall in it and kind of ruins the atmosphere. I think the model is unfogged by using an alpha or additive material.

Level 28
Bump. Added some terrain from another of my private map "Xheora - Figures of the Path" it only contains terrains from Chapter 1 though. And if you noticed the UI is the one I edited for my Valkyrie RPG. I haven't edited it yet for Xheora but its not really that big of a deal.

Also take note that the map have a locked camera so I can't really show much when I took the screencap in-game.

Level 28
I personally don't like it as I still believe that the theme I was going with which is an old underground city(the reason why it gives that Diablo-ish feeling) which was discovered by steampunk civilizations just have so much potential but I wasn't able to pull it off since I think that terrain was 2012-ish or maybe early 2013 where I still lack creativity and my technique and design ideas are still very lacking. It is actually a little inspired by the Van Hellsing game.

Anyway, I'm still glad that you guys still liked it.

Level 10
well, I guess it's water down there so you should add wave effects to the rocks/cliffs or else it looks strange, as the just pop out from something....

the fog would for sure look better if it would be higher next to the rocks/cliff so you actually have something fading out the higher you get.

Level 28
Unfortunately there will be no water below, I'm trying to do the same thing I'd seen on this movie where what separating the kingdom and the outside world is a bridge and a very deep cliff. Unfortunately, World Editor is very limited on its terrain depth and I can't just forcefully heighten the landscape for the kingdom since there are already made terrain outside(check out the Journey's Lore images). I'm planning to opt with just using the alpha tile and just add some rocks below to fake the depth.

I'll probably gonna be able to show an update in a few minutes.

Level 28
I suggest making the space below black to give a deep feeling. Otherwise looks awesome.

I tried playing with black glow but I can't seem to make it look good. I'll still try working on it but I'm gonna work first with important stuffs.

Anyway, thoughts? Inner part of the kingdom design.

(Excuse the paladins, they're my carpenters.)
Editor:
WIP - 2.jpg
In-game:
WIP - 1.jpg

Level 28
Really awesome, but I think the lights should be a little centered on the lamp fire itself.

That is how the lightning of the lamp works so I can't adjust it. I can add a seperate light on the lamp itself but it makes the lightning too bright(even if I make the light really small) since it is a lot closer on the camera.

EDIT:

The city is progressing very well. The challenge now is how I'll make it look magical since it is a kingdom for magicians.

Level 10
you could also use a 0/0/0 tinted WaterPlane.mdx in your canyon to get a depth effect. just change its z-Scaling so you get a nice gradient into black.

to make it look magical, add some glowing crystals to the cliffs, use floating lamps, some runes, other flating things and moar crystals ;)

Level 28
you could also use a 0/0/0 tinted WaterPlane.mdx in your canyon to get a depth effect. just change its z-Scaling so you get a nice gradient into black.

This works the best so far its the one that really give that feeling of depth. I also kinda like AuckeS' glow since the animation gives that nice feeling and it seems that they do blend with each other nicely.

to make it look magical, add some glowing crystals to the cliffs, use floating lamps, some runes, other flating things and moar crystals ;)

Welp. This is what I have so far.

Ignore the crystals, I didn't expect it to be that large in-game when I'm placing it on the editor. Anyway, here are some rune works and other stuffs. Whatcha think? I'm looking for some magical looking floating stuffs to use. Recommend if you know some. :)

JLWIP - 1.jpg

JLWIP - 2.jpg

JLWIP - 3.jpg

The sfx have animations in-game that I think really brings more magic feeling.

Level 28
I like the number of the runes since they're not spammed on the whole city(which takes a large part of the terrain so you'll not see those ruins frequently) its only placed where magical techs are. You usually see runes where a magic is taking effect and those techs shown on the screenshots do since plot-wise this are the stuffs that is casting the magical barrier around the city.

I'll only agree that its overkill if I just placed those runes randomly but they're obviously not.

I'll try to come up with new ideas that represents magic without using runes next time.

Level 28
I still have to apply some magical stuffs on it but its pretty much done. I still wish that I can still extend the map size but I'm already at the max. The castle area is supposed to just the middle part of the kingdom. I thought 1/8 of 480x480 would be enough. If there are still some room after I finish some other important areas that I'm planning then maybe I can just place it there and just make a trigger to move the hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.