• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is it possible to make higher resolution terrain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi all,

As the title suggests, I'm interested in discovering whether or not it is possible to update wc3's terrain tilesets to be twice as detailed as normal. For example, if each tile is normally 16x16 pixels, could we make a 32x32 pixels tile that would end up occupying the same space in game?

Sorry if this has already been answered. I've been hunting Google for an hour (longer than I care for) and haven't found any answers. :ogre_rage:

My intention is to scale down the size of in-game units except structures and increase how much one can zoom in. To do this in an artistically appealing fashion, I'll need higher resolution terrain.

Is it possible?

Level 3
Hey! Thanks for the reply!

I checked out ubersplats, and was like :vw_wtf: at first, but then I tested it...

There were three problems I could identify right off the bat:
  1. Ubersplats count as structures/units and would be taking memory from overall units.
  2. Ubersplats don't show up in fog of war.
  3. Because they're a unit, their health bar shows up when that setting is turned on.

Ubersplats is a great trick for terrainers entering contests, but seems to have limited functionality in game unless you revealed the whole map and did away with the gui using a user-controlled cinematic mode and triggered controls.

So close to what I need! I may end up scaling the other direction if nothing lends itself. There are problems going that way too, though.

Level 4
You can give them the "locust" ability and make them neutral, the health bar won't be showing up, and they will be invisible in the map. Not sure how to solve the fog of war issue.

I've also seen people messing with the Cliff/Terrain doodads, but from what I've heard they end up pretty buggy.

Attachments

• CliffTerrain.jpg
    CliffTerrain.jpg
    574.3 KB · Views: 168

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Are you sure Cliff/Terrain doodads don't show up in fog of war? iirc the only issue is how terrible they look while they're unmasking.

There must be a way to solve the fog of war one without having to reveal the whole map...
Well. I guess you could do the opposite. Untick the option in Map Properties that makes masked areas partially visible. That way, at least nothing else will show up in fog of war either so there's no incongruence.

Level 3
Doodads, of course, do show up in fog of war, but ubersplats are glorified units repurposed for uber-terrain! Not sure how to get them to show up in fog of war ...

I was actually just playing with the ubersplats on the editor and have begun to fall in love with the higher resolution textures. The fog of war problem is still abounding, though. Still hunting online for a resource that'll give me what I want. I will edit my first post once I find a solution because I'm sure someone else will want to know how to do this too.

Level 4
Looks like setting "Art - Extended Line Of Sight" to true will make them appear in the fog of war.

Attachments

• Pic.jpg
    Pic.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 152
Level 3
@AuckeS: Awesome. That solves my entire problem.

Now it's a matter of what method is most memory efficient... ubersplats or doodads-- and if there is perhaps another way to do this. Personally I'm leaning towards ubersplats simply because they don't seem to have problems in fog of war (which my map will use).

Level 17
It seems warcraft 3 is hard coded to load only mip map resolution of 512p or under, regardless of how big your textures are.
As such it won't work because terrain textures are at 512p horizontal already.
It is possible to double (128p per square as opposed to 64p) the resolution by using the small tiles with only 2 variants + edges tiles as opposed to the tiles with extra variations.
But that is what most custom tiles you can download are already doing, so yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.