• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My Terrain...

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my melee maps
attachment.php

One among the terrains I've got

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_091911_203405_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_091911_203405_02.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1,343
  • Whale.jpg
    Whale.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,324
  • DalaranRuins_ScreenShot4.jpg
    DalaranRuins_ScreenShot4.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 1,253
  • UndertheRain.jpg
    UndertheRain.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 1,277
  • WC3ScrnShot_092411_112833_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_092411_112833_02.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 1,288
  • WC3ScrnShot_092611_220028_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_092611_220028_01.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 1,144
  • Lost Treasures of Lordaeron.jpg
    Lost Treasures of Lordaeron.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 1,107
Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Well if you want to showcase terrain art, get your hands on some prettier models.

The first shot could like quite good with better trees, more realistic water (waterplane or alpha tiles), and quite frankly a better ship.
The lighting is really cool actually; you should revise the rays though.

Well if you want to showcase terrain art, get your hands on some prettier models.

The first shot could like quite good with better trees, more realistic water (waterplane or alpha tiles), and quite frankly a better ship.
Thank you... I'm just starting this one so I have to study more on terraining...

Level 36
Mah, I just want to put out a rant in general here, whats up with everyone making a Showcase these days, even before they've started really doing terrains? I mean, in the old days a "Showcase" was something people made when they had something to show for, as in, when they'd been around for a while, done some terrains and most commonly gotten some renown, nowadays it just seems like its the new way of making a terrain thread, me no likes.

Anyways, enough with the ranting! :p Lets do some commenting and critisism. Everything my colleague fladdermasken here is saying does apply, but I will be wanting to add on some more things. As I am sure you will notice when you start getting better at terrains, Textures in Wc3 doesnt under any circumstances look good when you have the camera up close to them. Especially Blizzard textures. What I am saying here is that you should work on your camera abilities, zoom out the cameras more and dont be so damned up close to the ground.

That said, the thing about models is a highly crucial thing, I mean, the standard Wc3 models just doesn't look good, and you are sure to agree as soon as you've discovered the UTM, which is a map specifically created for us terrainers to fulfill all our needs.
It can be found here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/ultimate-terraining-map-3-0-a-45316/

Dont be fooled the 3.0 one is the newest one.

Keep up the work, and take a look at that map, I'll be around to comment on your next terrains :)

Mah, I just want to put out a rant in general here, whats up with everyone making a Showcase these days, even before they've started really doing terrains? I mean, in the old days a "Showcase" was something people made when they had something to show for, as in, when they'd been around for a while, done some terrains and most commonly gotten some renown, nowadays it just seems like its the new way of making a terrain thread, me no likes.

Anyways, enough with the ranting! :p Lets do some commenting and critisism. Everything my colleague fladdermasken here is saying does apply, but I will be wanting to add on some more things. As I am sure you will notice when you start getting better at terrains, Textures in Wc3 doesnt under any circumstances look good when you have the camera up close to them. Especially Blizzard textures. What I am saying here is that you should work on your camera abilities, zoom out the cameras more and dont be so damned up close to the ground.

That said, the thing about models is a highly crucial thing, I mean, the standard Wc3 models just doesn't look good, and you are sure to agree as soon as you've discovered the UTM, which is a map specifically created for us terrainers to fulfill all our needs.
It can be found here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/ultimate-terraining-map-3-0-a-45316/

Keep up the work, and take a look at that map, I'll be around to comment on your next terrains :)

Thanks for the comments... I'll be working hard with it...

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
From my melee maps
attachment.php

One among the terrains I've got

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thank you... I'm just starting this one so I have to study more on terraining...
that whale is very beautiful
its nice not great needs improvement u could use more tiles since u used about 5 different tilles allso try to adjust height.good luck!

Thanks for the comments... I'll be working hard with it...
You don't have to quote a post if you're not directly responding to or dissecting its content.

Level 18
good start!

i like the fog+sky combos. But you need to improvise on the "end of the world" thing going on in your 2nd and 3rd terrain. It looks like your world stops at the edge of the map. Prevent this by adding mountains or hills infront of the view cutoff.

also avoid some of these blizzard models, and start getting custom models, not just for texture purposes, but overall custom models make a terrain much more inticing to look at if u catch my drift.

keep working and making terrains, you have potential!

Level 6
Huum.. look beautiful.

But, what are you doing man, rock terrain on road? That is so fool.
Can change it to just Rought terrain?
What stag (Deer) and racoon doing on wather rain?
And the Stag (Deer) is too small.
Note: This are I thinking about those terrain, and you?

Level 14
One major flaw that I see is your inability to facilitate any kind of depth into your terrains.
Firstly, you must understand how depth occurs and then you can better understand how you can make it occur in your terrain --- it occurs by placing doodads, in accordance with the levels of fog that you create; for example, if you have a very thick fog then you will resultantly have fewer objects to be placed within your view before you meet the end of the fog. So in order to create a properly 'natural' effect in depth, you must first set up your fog, and then place such things as trees, or even hills, in such a way that it accents your terrain fog; and thus will deepen your view.

A prime example of this technique by Mr. Gobo:
59266d1246411061-fantaisy-world-treehouse.png

Just notice how the trees are placed so that not one is placed directly behind the other tree, however they are scattered about at different intervals of the fog. This is the effect you almost always want, unless you become familiar enough that you can actually make trees look good when they are behind other trees.

Here are some of the terrains from the current map I am working with. The map is actually like a escape map.
BTW thanks for opening this thread, Ralle.
EDIT:
and also my final entry for the TMC.
attachment.php

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_092012_223604_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_092012_223604_02.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 123
  • WC3ScrnShot_092012_223639_03.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_092012_223639_03.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 91
  • WC3ScrnShot_092012_223728_05.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_092012_223728_05.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 72

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Did you honestly even try to make those attached screens from your escape map look good? You're using a total of two tiles, the plateau tool for hill construction, and a really trite set of destructibles to create the focal point of it all.

I'm sorry, but it kind of looks like you blew this one on purpose mate. :/

--

P.S. I guess you're going to try and tell me it's playable or something. Guess what, I have a response for that to. Always post gameplay footage if you want criticism to reflect that.

Last edited:
Did you honestly even try to make those attached screens from your escape map look good? You're using a total of two tiles, the plateau tool for hill construction, and a really trite set of destructibles to create the focal point of it all.

I'm sorry, but it kind of looks like you blew this one on purpose mate. :/

--

P.S. I guess you're going to try and tell me it's playable or something. Guess what, I have a response for that to. Always post gameplay footage if you want criticism to reflect that.

The map is still on process. It will be uploaded as soon as everything is OK. as for now, I am still working on the terrain and it is still 30% done.

Status
Not open for further replies.