• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My Fantasia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello guys, i want to present you some of my recent work. All suggestions and criticism are welcomed.

fireflies2.pngMy Fantasia.pngEnd of the Lane.pngBorderlands.png

Level 25
Img 1: I like.
Img 2: Can you add some fog or something around the rocks so it looks more like they float?
Img 3: Don't stand in the boat.
Img 4: The red grass doesn't mix so well with the green grass.

Level 35
I actually really like the first one, it's fresh and finely executed.

The second one is nice too, although it could do with some clouds or something to make
it all seem a little more "into the skies".

The third one has a bit of a texture contrast business, or rather, tinting problem.
The rocks are tinted far too bright for the rest of the terrain, and they really look
like their floating on the water rather than being islands, which I suspect was your
intention.

For the third one, I disagree about the red grass, I actually like it. It breaks off the
monotony of the otherwise repetitive sea of grass, and adds an artistic touch. What
I don't like about it, though, is that there is a looming "end of the world" feeling to
it. That is mostly fixed by extending the map and adding another layer or two of
mountains behind and in front of the already existing ones, and by making the transition
from sky to fog go smoothly. It could also do with some sort of CoF, something to catch
the eye. (CoF = Center of Focus)

A couple side notes: I'm not over-fond of the anime model, but then, that's your choice.
I would also like to know where you found that nebula model, and maybe even more
the moon model.

Personally I like the 1st and the 3rd out of the terrain shots so far.

- What I do like about the 1st one is its simplicity and elegance that vibrates from it, I guess it must be the grass work there that resonates fairly well with the reflection and that planet model you used.

About the anime models, they're pretty good tbh but need A LOT of shading on them to make them integrate better into the landscape you made.
- take the example of fladdermasken, he's using those damn well even if the models themselves look very cartoonish and unshaded.

Even the angle and position at which you use them either brings pluses or minuses depending on the terrain (theme and execution) as a whole.

- The 3rd one has a slight tint of eerie feeling to it, adds more mystery to the otherwise pleasant and anime-ish theme of that terrain.
'love the nebula usage in it even if it's quite bright and outland-ish looking.

I'm not liking the island rocks used in it, felsen would've been better imo.
Right now they contrast a bit too much with the grass and the sky work here.....also make sure to reflect all objects in the water - *points to the rowboat with no reflection*.

The other two look incomplete and lack a sense of meaning to me.
- for e.g the last one lacks a proper sky and background, have you used a skybox for it? o.0

Try a skysphere with cloud models instead and low tinted glows.

- Overall I abide by Keiji point, CoF missing or too deluding at this time, yeah and end of the world...especially in the last one.

Mountains are in high demands there :p

Last edited:
Level 2
Thanks for all the replies, i will try to repair/improve it.

------------

Nebula and moon models are just flat models, i used some freebies from deviantart as textures, with added alpha.

Status
Not open for further replies.