• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

For those just starting to terrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I see that there has been a lot of new people aspiring to become good terrainers in these forums, so I thought I'd help out and compile a few helpful links to further progress anyone new to terraining:

Ultimate Terraining Map
Ultimate Terraining Map:
The Ultimate Terraining map provides hundreds of custom doodads to be used for all of your terraining needs. Mor)L(une has created an extended version with many more doodads in the same thread.

Ultimate Terraining Map Tutorial
Ultimate Terraining Map Tutorial by HermanTheGibbon
Misc. Data
Misc. Data:
Misc Data is another thing that hopefully does not need to be linked. However for those that do not know, this file allows you make very steep cliffs (but remember to keep them realistic looking).
101 Do's and Dont's of Terraining

101 Do's and Dont's of Terraining
:
This was a list compiled a while ago that had a crapload of helpful tips but was lost in a mound of other threads. A must read for those new to terrain.

WC3Campaigns

Wc3 Campaign Terrain Gallery
The Hive Workshop isn't the only Warcraft III modding site! And both have extremely talented terrainers for people to follow. This is one of the main places I would reccomend you go to get a good idea of great terraining.

Wc3 Campaign Terrain Forum
Another terrain forum you can visit to exchange ideas and view terrains.

Wc3 Campaign's Weekly Terrain
The weekly terrain forum comes up with new themes to terrain each week. Highly recommended for practicing new ideas and creativity.

Wc3 Campaign's Terrain Challenges
Wc3c's terrain challenges are similiar to THW's terrain contests and offer a great opportunity to explore creative use of doodad that show just how many ways you can use simple doodads. (My personal favorite was Beam's pirate ship made out of only 10 doodad models.)

Terrain Showcases:
Terraining Showcases are one of the best ways to gain ideas (but not copy them) and learn new techniques through studying the terrains of others. Here are a few showcases for people to look at and study.

Old Showcase Thread
Old Showcase Thead
This was a showcase started by VGsatomi that includes terraining work from talented people that seem to have been forgotten as time went by . Take note of how ordinary doodads were used to create extraordinary structures.
HernanG's Showcase
HernanG's Showcase
Although it's probably not necessary to link this, HernanG's terrains deserve to be linked in case people forget about them.
HappyTauren's Showcase
HappyTauren' s Showcase
HappyTauren is a good terrainer.
[Death}'s Showcase

[Death]'s Showcase
[Death] is another very talented terrainer and probably one of the best. His terrain is usually flawless and it is recommended that you study his terrain thoroughly.
demonsofdante's Showcase
My Personal Showcase
As modest as I want to be, I'm not gonna lie and I think mine are up there near HappyTauren's status and I hope people can learn from them as well.
Craka_J's Showcase
Craka_J's Showcase
Craka_J is one of the best terrainers still in the Warcraft modding community, so learn all that you can from his work.

~Void~'s Showcase
~Voids~'s Showcase
~Void~ has become one of the leading wc3 terrainers here on the Hive. I highly recommend his work.
Here starts HappyTauren's part about the great Misc Data "hack" thing.

I have seen many people still using WEU just because of extended terraining limits it has. So, i decided to post this file. When you place it into UI folder in your wc3 installation ("C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\UI") it disables height limits.

Anyway, you will still need WEU Enchancer to use up to 16 tiles (perhaps even more is possiable, i will look up to it).

If there's no UI folder, create it yourself in the "Warcraft III" folder.

EDIT: Usage of the most recent MiscData.txt is recommended, do remember to remove the date.

Attachments

• MiscData.2013-06-17.txt
    9.6 KB · Views: 912
  • MiscData.2007-11-04.txt
    9.6 KB · Views: 351
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 8
Woo HT. I personally dislike WEU becuase it seems sort of like a crutch to me. You dont need most of the stuff in there, and a lot of it can be things yo ucan do yourself, such as this file.

WEU does have good features of course but its still not my friend.

I suggest this be stickied as its something most every terrainer needs/requests and is too often lost under the barrage of separate terrain forums.

Level 5
Heres a little tip for those of you having issues with MiscData's water pathing.

First, if you notice that water with rolling shores allows players to walk through the water (even if its really deep), its being caused by MiscData.txt. Its a simple fix, but it took me a while to find it.

To fix this, go into your MiscData.txt file, and scroll down to this part.

-----------------------------------------------

[Water]
// Depth-based colors
// The water plane is vertex colored based on the water "depth": the distance
// from the water plane to the ground. These values define the colors for two
// distinct ranges: "shallow" (MinDepth to DeepLevel) and "deep" (DeepLevel to MaxDepth).
// where the color is found by interpolating between the corresponding colors given
// in TerrainArt/Water.slk.
//

MinDepth=10
DeepLevel=64
MaxDepth=72

// DeepLevelPathing defines the depth below which water
// is considered "deep" for pathing and placement rules.

DeepLevelPathing=10000000000

// WavesDepth defines the depth that terrain vertices need to be below the
// water before they will be considered "under" water for wave generation

WavesDepth=25

-----------------------------------------------

This little chunk of text is the culperate! Somewhere in there you should see "DeepLevelPathing=10000000000". That pretty much eliminates the ground pathing limits entirely. Easy fix. Change the number to 64, which should match the DeepLevel shown above.

I believe you can also increase how deep the water can go using MaxDepth setting under DeepLevel. This wont be much if the water is so dark, you don't see the bottom, but for those of you creating giant sunken ruins and such, this could be a very, very beautiful thing.

I hope this little tutorial helped someone freaking out about the issue (like I did).

EDIT: For those of you creating a map that the water is poisonous or whatever, but you cant stand putting cliff shores or pathing blockers, change the pathing to 1. (I think 0 screws it up, and its not a big difference. Just needs to be a bit deeper.)

====================================================

I have had a few questions asking if I know how to make the "lower" limits disappear, like the maker did with raising. Once again, a simple fix.

Open your MiscData.txt file and go to this part:
------------------------------------
[Terrain]
// terrain parameters

// Maximum slope in degrees, (86+ will disable slope limits)
MaxSlope=87

// Global height limits
// 0 = low ground, each cliff level = 128
MaxHeight=9000
MinHeight=[Terrain]
// terrain parameters

// Maximum slope in degrees, (86+ will disable slope limits)
MaxSlope=87

// Global height limits
MaxHeight=9000
MinHeight=-128
------------------------------------

Down at

// Global height limits
MaxHeight=9000
MinHeight=-128

The minHeight needs to be changed from -128 to -9000, to match with maxheight. DO NOT FORGET THE -. If its not there, it makes the minimum and maximum height exactly the same, which means you would have completely flat land.

===============================================

If I find out any other helpful information about how to fix MiscData up, Ill post it here!

Last edited:
Level 6
Sorry for what might and could sound like a noob question, but I just wanted to make sure I got this right the first time. The "C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\UI" file does not exist within the Warcraft files. I've looked, and nothing comes up.

EDIT: I'm an idiot.

Level 32
The "C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\UI" file does not exist within the Warcraft files. I've looked, and nothing comes up.

EDIT: I'm an idiot.
Well not necessarily an idiot, just inexperienced.

Simply create the UI folder inside your Warcraft III directory (wherever it is: mine is in D:\Warcraft III\UI) then place the MiscData.txt inside that folder.

Level 1
Ummm.. sorry if this is a very noob question... but how do I see the effects of the MiscData file in my map? I downloaded the file into C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\UI .... so what do I do next? Do changes take place once I edit the file?

Level 1
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear in my question. What I wanted to say was that I couldn't see a change in WE even after changing the cliff height value in the MiscData file. I changed it to set cliff level = 500... but when I went back to WE and used the "increase one" tool, there wasn't a difference. Am I missing out on something?

EDIT: Oh.. I just realized that "cliff level" is how high you can RAISE the terrain... sorry about my noobishness. Thanks for helping HappyTauren! :)

Level 8
Poo, know of any link to MC !'s terrain thread i thought he had one on Wc3Campaigns? Or i may be mistaken.
Same goes for Beam, theyd be great examples

Why would people just new to terraining want to know about Wc3c weekly terraining or their terrain gallery? They would get sabered down there and torn to pieces.

Also please fix up the thread so it looks better, has just somewhat correct spelling and stop using "lol" everywhere in something that should seem "important" and guide-like.

Level 8
Seeing the work at Wc3c was what inspired me to give terraining a shot. I don't see why it's so wrong for people to see what you can actually do with terraining and try to take a swing at it.

I did not intend for this to be a guide or to be stickied which is why its so informal. I fixed it up a bit but let me know if its not up to everyones standards.

Level 25
No offence taken. I don't like considering myself as the best terrainer ever anyway, makes me sound cockey.
I'll add it in a minute.

[edit]:
Okay, I added a tutorial and [Death]'s Showcase to the first post. Anything else?
~Craka_J

Last edited:
Level 5
Same with me I cant even raise above normal without this happening. So this made the hills worse :(

There is probably a typo in the file. Its been a while since Ive worked with this, so hopefully Im correct... The height part should be similar to this:

// Global height limits
MaxHeight=9000
MinHeight=-9000

I havent played Warcraft in a few months, so there may be an update I dont know about that fixed this. Either way, Ill be playing a bit more of it. Hopefully nobody missed me too much? :p

P.S. Hopefully this helps :grin:
[Post Merged]
I have been using this for a pretty long while, and it is much much better and looks cooler than normal cliffs. Here is the place i first founded it out, then i searched for google and found it i think, but anyway: http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/cat_usersubmit.php?view=42891
That is a tutorial, pretty usefull.

I saw that tutorial sometime ago as well. I use it all the time, but sometimes Im naughty and use Blizzard's cliffs. :hohum:

Before I quit I began another RPG project, since I didnt like the way Naznoran is turning out (but now Ill probably be finishing it) , and those cliffs can be a real pain. Im using a First-Person camera (sorry, cant give credit to the person right now.. Dont have it up), and using almost any slope that is pretty steep can screw it up. You would be looking through the ground, and it likes to bug movement. Hopefully I can find a way around this, because these are WAY better than BlizCliffs

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 5
Does anyone know if its possible to create a setting to have it automatically block ground movement with certain heights of ground level? The hills look a lot better than Blizcliffs, but I dont want to spend an hour putting in a couple hundred pathing blockers, for something that might not even stay the same.

Level 25
Patience, fellow terrainers... patience!
Sure it takes a long ass time to do all the pathing blockers and details to the terrain, but in the end it is worth it. It's the process of becoming a good terrainer. First few steps are: Patience, skill, and creativity. Get those three down and you're already on the road of glory. :grin:
~Craka_J

Level 5
Really the biggest problem for me is just that I usually change a lot, and Im already somewhat getting close to my doodad limit. If those two werent problems, I wouldnt have much problem. Details and the rest of it never bother me, its my favorite part. Dropping pathing blockers just annoys the hell out of me when I *know* there is going to be some major revamp of it like 2 months later.

Ah well... Thanks anyway :p

Level 5
Does it replace world editor or will it bug my current maps? Or is it like miscdata, and will just change that without interfering?

Level 34
I think you need to DL NewGenJASS which is a world editor with advanced options, but i have no idea how to use it. :gg:

Status
Not open for further replies.